NostraMMAus™ Predicts... Streaming Services Will Have Their Own Theatre Chains 20 Years From Now

A

AronaBeatsJones

Here's a non-MMA NostraMMAus™ prediction for you Mayberry indecipherables intellectuals.
  • Traditional theatre chains like AMC will eventually go out of business due to the overabundance of content, and the theatrical experience being closely replicated in homes with increasingly immersive home theatre systems.

• Amazon, ever invested in the physical retail space with the recent acquisition of Whole Foods and a bookstore chain, will invest heavily into the (also dying) mall business, and will expand with more retail shops.

• To lure customers into shopping centers, as well as to capitalize on the lost potential of big budget Hollywood blockbusters generating billions, Amazon will attempt to revitalize the theatre business with exclusive titles.

• Netflix will do the same, and possibly Disney as well. Each will have their own exclusive films.
You heard it here first on Sherdog.

NostraMMAus™ has spoken

Not an absurd prediction. As i was just discussing the other day, the entire broadcast spectrum will become increasingly saturated and diverse, and those who isolate themselves will fail. Film studios ha e already been invested in television since something like the late 60s, but it will advance now. Shit, Netflix just produced a Will Smith action film.

As for who actually hosts public theaters... Well, the studios lost out in court long, long ago, and I'm not sure specifically what the laws state but essentially the production and release were separated (this was back when our government still somewhat gave a shit about curtailing monopolies). So I dont know how it works now... Although United Artists did own theaters as recently as the 90s...

You know, I like it. I hope that they will let us watch older films that haven't been on the theater circuit for some time so I can watch Critters 2: The Main Course in the theater, yet again.

7hS9qPMbL0fl.gif

You know, I like it. I hope that they will let us watch older films that haven't been on the theater circuit for some time so I can watch Critters 2: The Main Course in the theater, yet again.

7hS9qPMbL0fl.gif

Bobby Brown is back in town

Sounds shitty.

Who wants theaters that only play movies from a single studio? Fuck that.

I don't think this is a reasonable prediction. People love streaming services because they don't have to leave their home, and can put on several episodes of a show or several movies back to back without having to leave the couch. A studio-only theater would not succeed, it's tough enough on some weeks/months with wide releases as a whole. Think of the month of December before SW came out - there was nothing but old releases ruling the box office, and the returns were paltry. If anything, streaming services will further harm theaters, especially if they get the distribution rights to films where you won't have to go anywhere but can watch a movie (see: Netflix's Bright). If Disney's future streaming services gets new Disney releases, theaters will get hammered.

Sounds shitty.

Who wants theaters that only play movies from a single studio? Fuck that.
I imagine it will be a more polarized version of the current gaming industry, where certain developers become exclusive to specific platforms, and / or ultimately end up getting bought out by them (IE: Naughty Dog to Sony). Or a better example would probably be Nintendo, where they're kind of in their own isolated world with their own console and in-house games, with third-party contributions here and there.

Either way, with AMC rejecting concepts like MoviePass, I see traditional theatre chains dwindling down in business dramatically like the arcades and record shops of yesteryear, but there being such an outcry to save the beloved theatrical experience that the major players will step in with a workable business model akin to MoviePass (IE: a tiered subscription service, with an expensive upper tier that likewise provides unlimited theatre visits).

I don't think this is a reasonable prediction. People love streaming services because they don't have to leave their home, and can put on several episodes of a show or several movies back to back without having to leave the couch. A studio-only theater would not succeed, it's tough enough on some weeks/months with wide releases as a whole. Think of the month of December before SW came out - there was nothing but old releases ruling the box office, and the returns were paltry. If anything, streaming services will further harm theaters, especially if they get the distribution rights to films where you won't have to go anywhere but can watch a movie (see: Netflix's Bright). If Disney's future streaming services gets new Disney releases, theaters will get hammered.
Before Star Wars wasn’t The Hobbit movies the big December films?

So Netflix, and Amazon will start making all their own movies and only show them in movie theatres that they exclusively own?

Why will I want to watch in theatres when I can watch on computer unless Amazon, and Netflix will only show in their theatres? It is risky. The movie production companies can enter into exclusive contracts with the current theatre companies too.

They need to make the theatre experience better. Better looking women working their, better food served, more comfy seats. And their is a korean company that has the screen wrapping around 3/4 sides of the auditorium.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Derik
Back