• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Rewatch Nate Diaz at 23 years old vs Josh Neer...

ComfortablyNumb55

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I saw Nate Diaz asked who his toughest fight was recently and he said Josh Neer, so I looked up the fight and watched it. It was a good fight. I don't recall watching it before.

Diaz utilized his BJJ/wrestling the entire fight and it surprised me.

I looked up Neer and he had a solid career. He fought Diaz at 155, I think, but also TKOed Anthony Lionheart Smith at MW!

How good was Neer?

My casual radar exploded while reading this ..

Now ill have to go back to capsule corp for another one ...

Thanks T.S ..

artworks-000610053022-a05o9y-t500x500.jpg

Neer was quite good, and there was a lot of respect between him and the Diaz brothers (also, all three were boxing-oriented fighters with pretty damned great submission skills, and noted for that absurd level of toughness).

Nate beat Neer when he was pretty young, so it was somewhat a passing of the torch in that regard, and one of the fights which established that Nick's younger brother was no flash-in-the-pan.

If I'm recalling correctly, his nickname, The Dentist, was a respect to his many knockouts. So he wasn't really a dentist. He was just wrecking dudes' teeth.

Pretty sure Josh also beat Houston Alexander who’s way bigger in an amateur fight. He was allegedly drunk too lol.

neer was like a third Diaz bro the way he threw down.

doesn’t surprise me at all that Nate showed respect for the man.

Neer was quite good, and there was a lot of respect between him and the Diaz brothers (also, all three were boxing-oriented fighters with pretty damned great submission skills, and noted for that absurd level of toughness).

Nate beat Neer when he was pretty young, so it was somewhat a passing of the torch in that regard, and one of the fights which established that Nick's younger brother was no flash-in-the-pan.

If I'm recalling correctly, his nickname, The Dentist, was a respect to his many knockouts. So he wasn't really a dentist. He was just wrecking dudes' teeth.

He ended up training with the Diaz brothers and Cesar Gracie in the early 2010s.

He was nicknamed the dentist because he had a stretch of four or five fights in a row in which he was knocking out teeth left and right. So the ring announcer as a joke decided to introduce him as the "Dentist" and even though Neer did not like it at first it stuck up with him

Neer vs Melvin Guillard was incredible.

Neer got split open,
and seemed like the fight should've been stopped due to the cut.
Somehow Neer convinced the doc it was fine, blitz'd Melvin.

Great brawl.

Neer was a legend.

Third Diaz
<Fedor23>

All I remember from Neer was the time a ref told him "It's MMA" when he complained about Paul Bradley holding him down, happened in a Bellator main event.

First I saw him in this fight.

He was solid.

Can't believe he TKOed Lionheart.
Keep in mind Anthony spent the vast majority of his career as a journeyman - he's got tons of ugly losses. Not to take anything away from Neer of course, but for a long time Anthony wasn't a particularly noteworthy name to have on your record.

Skilled guy with average athleticism. Average strength, reflexes, fight IQ. Solid gatekeeper; could not beat the top guys..

He fought both Nick AND Nate. Damn. Lost to both though

I always remind him as the third Diaz bros, I don't know where that came from.

Back