long vs short arms - different technique?

TheViking

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
sorry for spelling, im from denmark.

i'm qurious about the subject on long arms vs short arms and striking.

do you think that one style favors the other, if you have short or long arms?

my logic tells me that fighers with long arms tend to use straight rights and jabs more, and guys with short arms will be more into power hooks, uppercuts and wild swinging?

i guess simply because the guy with short arms, will get picked apart if he tryes to play the in and out game against an equally good tecnical striker with longer reach.

another thing is power.

on one hand, my base logic tells me that a guy with short, thick arms will hit harder with hooks, uppercuts, while the long armed guy will generate more power with the karate like straigt punches?

but isn't it pretty simpel mathematics, that if you have a stick, with a stone at the end, the longer the stick, the longer the stone will travel, and the more power will be generated at impact. But i guess you have to account for how thin/thick the arms is, and how much it will "bend back" loosing power on impact.

i'm guessing Tyson had short arms, and he seemed to have devastating KO power with hooks, but shouldn't it be, that chuck would hit harder with a hook, because his hand would travel a greater distance?

hmm meh? confusing post maybe..:icon_neut

Length of the arms has a big effect on allot of things which would probably require tons of info on the subject to be added here, I’ll cover just 1 simple aspect that I am comfortable covering.

Striking has offence and defense, when you throw a punch you are vulnerable to counters do to the "ball at the end of the stick" having to come back to guard.

During the time the arm is extended -while striking, the length of the arms determines how long it will take for your fist to return to you and that is one aspect of having longer reach that could be considered a weakness.

A shorter reach still has this problem obviously as all strikes must return to guard in order for that limb to strike again, the difference is the time is shorter for a shorter reach.

If you're the fighter with significantly longer reach and your opponent slips a jab to the outside he could possible land some good striking while in 'the pocket'.

The shorter arm can generate power in shorter distances as well. For example power does not come from your arms the power travels up your legs through the hips and core and your body is in a way driving the arm and fist down the pipe through the opponent. (Hopefully not going through but stopping in someone’s face or mid-section)

So if fighter A has 2 inch reach and fighter B has 4 inch reach and are both throwing hooks the shorter arms traveling the same distance will have more power because relative to length of the arms the first on the shorter reach fighter DID travel more and generated more power.

Now on the outside...the longer reach fighter would do great by circling to the outside of the lead leg and using jabs, straights and good head movement.

I hope this helps in the least bit.

same technique.... doesnt matter how short you are.. you still gotta throw straight punches and vice versa. if your short you still gotta jab correct.... everyone needs to jab

same technique different style

Back