KOTOR Remake Announced + Teaser *UPDATE* It appears canceled

Just found this out but supposedly Aspyr were'nt the only studio in the running originally to do the project. Beamdog (studio led by ex Bioware founder Trent Oster and Ex Bioware Lead Programmer Cameron Tofer) also had a pitch for the project.

Then Aspyr aquired Beamdog thanks to being part of the Embracer Group in April this year https://www.videogameschronicle.com...lic-remake-studio-aspyr-has-acquired-beamdog/

Just found this out but supposedly Aspyr were'nt the only studio in the running originally to do the project. Beamdog (studio led by ex Bioware founder Trent Oster and Ex Bioware Lead Programmer Cameron Tofer) also had a pitch for the project.

Then Aspyr aquired Beamdog thanks to being part of the Embracer Group in April this year https://www.videogameschronicle.com...lic-remake-studio-aspyr-has-acquired-beamdog/

OIP.3BAr_3SZuQc7bjw9osJ6jwAAAA

Well for one guys like James Ohlen and Drew Karpyshyn are writers. What good, creative work is there for them to do in any remake, let alone one they already wrote?

My bad for the late reply, but you basically answered your own question within your own question.

They're creative authors, but apparently when it comes to the possibility of writing the remake for the game that put BOTH of their names on the map?

YOU are basically saying "No they're not THAT creative of writers for that. Better bring in other writers that are MORE creative than them." :rolleyes:

My bad for the late reply, but you basically answered your own question within your own question.

They're creative authors, but apparently when it comes to the possibility of writing the remake for the game that put BOTH of their names on the map?

YOU are basically saying "No they're not THAT creative of writers for that. Better bring in other writers that are MORE creative than them." :rolleyes:

That’s not at all what I’m saying. I’m saying they presumably wouldn’t want to work on it because there would be little to no work to actually do because it’s a remake, so the story has already been done. Presumably the graphics would be in for a major overhaul while the gameplay mechanics might be in for some amount of overhauling, but why would the story need any tweaking at all? The fans wouldn’t want to story and dialogue changed, only a facelift and possibly some quality of life improvements to the gameplay.

That’s not at all what I’m saying. I’m saying they presumably wouldn’t want to work on it because there would be little to no work to actually do because it’s a remake, so the story has already been done. Presumably the graphics would be in for a major overhaul while the gameplay mechanics might be in for some amount of overhauling, but why would the story need any tweaking at all? The fans wouldn’t want to story and dialogue changed, only a facelift and possibly some quality of life improvements to the gameplay.
It doesn't have to necessarily change stuff, but add sidequests unrelated to the main story, more interactions between characters, details of the lore, and so on.

That’s not at all what I’m saying. I’m saying they presumably wouldn’t want to work on it because there would be little to no work to actually do because it’s a remake, so the story has already been done.

Compare KOTOR to their next game project they were involved together. Mass Effect 1.

I love KOTOR, but its a very simple story with 2D characters, a 1D villain, and an amazing twist and dozens of other amazing moments. Imagine if they brought the depth of character Mass Effect had into KOTOR.

And Drew and James weren't the only writers on the original KOTOR, and I've heard Drew mention in an interview from 2009 is he's rarely satisfied with the quality of his writing he sends off to be published because he's a perfectionist. (I wouldn't be surprised if he gave this interview while writing the novel 'Revan' which explains why it was shit. Practically fanfiction to tie in the KOTOR games with the MMO). He says he's rewritten some chapters of his books eight or nine times over.

I can't say for sure, but I BET if he was available and not dedicated working on a long-term project, he would absolutely love a 2nd crack at KOTOR.

James, I know less about.

but why would the story need any tweaking at all? The fans wouldn’t want to story and dialogue changed, only a facelift and possibly some quality of life improvements to the gameplay.

Can't post a response to this now, but I will tomorrow.

What was the pitch? Is there something I'm supposed to click on? Embracer owns Beamdog, so I wonder if they've moved the project to their studio.

What was the pitch? Is there something I'm supposed to click on? Embracer owns Beamdog, so I wonder if they've moved the project to their studio.

Looks like a few companies did pitches for the Project, these are the two that's publically know and Aspyr won out, then Beamdog were then bought by Embracer after the project started and placed into the Saber Interactive group along with Aspyr to help them out.

Its looking Saber themselves are supposedly doing the work now.

Not good to piss both Sony and Disney off at once

Saber's Eastern European studios for reference: Mad Head Games, Zen Studios, 4A Games, Saber Belarus, Saber Russia, Bytex, Snapshot Games, Fractured Byte, SmartPhone Labs

O dear.... There's been hints that it's not coming out at all recently too...

I wanna play through the KOTORs again. Best Star Wars stories out there IMO. At this point I'd just settle for an HD update or something, although I'll cream my pantaloons if they can actually pull off a remake before I'm 97

I wanna play through the KOTORs again. Best Star Wars stories out there IMO. At this point I'd just settle for an HD update or something, although I'll cream my pantaloons if they can actually pull off a remake before I'm 97

Maybe by they time they do a full remake we'll have the technology to have the twist from KOTOR erased from our memories so it will be like the first time again.

Maybe by they time they do a full remake we'll have the technology to have the twist from KOTOR erased from our memories so it will be like the first time again.

Not possible.

Before KOTOR1 the only game with noteable plot-twists was MGS1, of that PS1/PS2 era anyway. They were quite rare, mostly, other than the 'good guy becomes bad guy' heel turns that have been forgotten due to them being cliche.

I think the only one that was noteable, and not because of its execution but because how high-profile the title was... in GTA Vice City... Vince (was that his name?) turning on Tommy at the end of the game. That's the only one I remember, and I can count on one hand the amount of times its been mentioned over the last 20+ years, for good reason.

KOTOR's plot-twist was on the level as 6th Sense's, except it was in a game. Whenever plot-twists in games are a topic of conversation its one of the first mentioned or its the first mentioned.

Its impossible to forget.

Can't search for the KOTOR remake thread, but since it was supposed to be a PS5 exclusive I'm posting it here.

@Madmick you can move this post if you'd like to the right thread.

Back