• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Just picked up k1 world Grand Prix for ps2!

BJPenn2012

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Damn this is the best fighting game I think I've ever played!! Taking into account it's on the ps2 it's really fluid and there's a great variety of strikes. Anybody else play this?

I have two K1 games, K1 Fighting Illusion for the Sega Saturn from 1996, which is the first K1 game ever (afaik), or at least defintitely the first in 3D.
For its time it was pretty ok, but the game mechanics lacked any kind of real depth. It was also released on the PS1.

The second i have is K1 World GP 2006 for the PS2, which was already mentioned here. Its been a couple of years since i played it, but i liked that game a lot.
The controls are pretty good and the roster is nice too. The graphics are ok, but thats not the most important thing for me anyway (as long as it doesnt suck totally).
The only thing which annoyed me was that its in japanese only (beside some of the menus). In sports game you normally can cope with that, but as soon as there is somethig like a career mode and/or a create a fighter mode, then you need to understand the specific language to fully enjoy the game. Ive thought about making a translation patch, but in the end i didnt because it would take way too much time, just to figure out how to extract the data and most likely to decompress it would be already very demanding. Also i had other projects going on, so that wouldve been too ambitious to start another project while others werent finished yet.

Someone mentioned that the previous K1 games (apparently developed by another developer) were even better as the 2006 version, i would like to check them out too. Ive stumbled upon several K1 games on the internet while looking for infos, there must be at least 5-6 K1 Games on the PS2 alone.
There is even a K1 Max game on the PS2 with lighter weightclasses, it is called "K1 World Max 2005".

Regarding MMA games, everything which came after the inital UFC game on DC until UFC undisputed 2009 was mediocre at best.

The first UFC game on the DC was fantastic for its time, all the accolades from game reviewing websites and magazines prove that, it really was universally acclaimed.

UFC Tapout on Xbox was pretty much the same as the DC game, but at that point it was was already like 2 years old, with a laughable career mode and exactly the same Gameplay without any enhancements. As far as i remember the only additions were the so called "carrer mode" (which was a joke) and a slightly different roster. The graphics were ok, prolly slightly better as the DC version, it was still one of the first Xbos games, so thats not very suprising.

Tapout 2 on Xbox was exactly the same shit, almost no new stuff and the same terrible "carrer mode" like from Tapout 1 and Throwdown.
The create a fighter mode was so bad, even the N64 Wrestling games (one of them being Virtual Pro Wrestling 2, japan only) had a thousand times better character creation mode, and VPW2 even has a MMA mode, which for the time was pretty good and still makes a lot of fun. It also has a bunch of MMA fighters, like Sakuraba, Rickson Gracie, Bas Rutten, Enson Inoue, Don Frye, Funaki, Semmy Schilt ect.
I created a couple of my own fighters, some of them looking pretty authentic, while others not so much. My selfmade Wanderlei looks pretty good for example, and his moveset is pretty authentic too (as much as the game lets you).

UFC Throwdown (PS2/NGC) was the same as Tapout 1 and 2, EXACTLY the same gameplay with virtually no improvements, and as i already mentioned it had the SAME shitty "career mode", and the same indredibly limited CAF. Its really unbelievable, because this game also came out 2 years after the DC version, and they still didnt improve the game at all (maybe beside graphics, and few more moves here and there).

UFC Sudden Impact was the first game which had an somewhat ok Career Mode, but still nothing compared to the career mode from other genres. There was simply so much more possible. And it still had the exact same engine, almost nothing changed in those 4 years (since the dreamcast version).

I wouldnt say anything if they wouldve tried something new or if they at least wouldve vastly improved the engine (honestly it owuldve been best if they wouldve started from scartch with a totally new engine), but it was the same engine which they still used after 4 years, without any significant improvements whatsoever.

They are one of those typicall lazy cashgrabbing bastard developers.
Always the same old fight engine, always the same modes, always a abysmal Career mode (beside Sudden impact, which still wasnt great at all though) and always a shitty CAF mode.

The responsiveness of the controls was bad in all games, there is a very noticable delay. After you push a certain button it takes a while till the charakter makes that certain move.

As i said, graphics are not the most important aspect of a game for me, gameplay and variety comes always first. But at least the graphics were appropiate in those games.

And guess what, even the 2 Pride games on PS2 (Pride FC and Pride GP) have also the EXCACT SAME engine. Whereas Pride FC was ok thanks to its roster (but still the same shallow gameplay and engine + no career mode at all, not even a shitty one), Pride GP totally sucked. You instantly saw that its from the same developers as the UFC games (anchor).

To make it clear, thats not my retrospective opinion, its exactly how i felt back then when each of those game were still recent.

The first good MMA game since UFC on the Dreamcst (at its time obviously, back then when the DC was the shit) was Undisputed 2009 for the Xbox 360 and PS3. Of course it still had a lot to improve, which they did with the 2010 Version, which was a bit better with its pretty good Career mode.

Then came Undisputed 3, which is in my opinion still the best MMA game to date, or at least from those i played.
The only thing i still didnt like was the CAF mode (and still doesnt seem to be good in EA UFC), its really impossible to create authentic fighters who are not included in its rosters, they just have a generic feel on them. That really has to improve a lot, even in VPW2 and even in WWF No Mercy you can do more authentic fighters. Actually the CAW from No Mercy is even better as the one from VPW2 when it comes to the options for the appearance of the created charakters.
The only thing in VPW2 which wasnt in No Mercy is a create a mask mode, which was really nice, but not as deep as you would think. You have like 10 preset masks which you can change a bit in form and color.
Obviously VPW2 has more MMA moves, because No Mercy has no MMA gameplay, allthough there are still a ton of mma moves in No Mercy. Ive tried to do some fighters on both games, for example Fedor, and he looked more authentic on WWF No Mercy.

Damn, i wish AKI wouldve continued to make those wrestlng games and those japanese wrestling games (virtual pro wrestling) with the MMA gameplay. Or maybe even a MMA only game, im petty sure they wouldve done a great job, especially with the capabilities of the PS2/Xbox/Gamecube.
They later did the Def Jam fighting games, the first of them had the same brilliant (grappling) engine from the N64 wrestling games, but obviously not that wrestling orientated anymore, and no CAW/CAF mode ect.
The second Def Jam game was a lot different than the first one, it didnt have that much in common with the N64 games anymore, but still had some of its mechanics in it.

There is also EA´s MMA which was mediocre imo. The controls sucked, and didnt work nowhere near as good as in the Fight Night (boxing) games.

I still have to play the last UFC game, from what ive heard and from what ive read it was in great need of improvement, but got considerably better with time through patches.

Are these kind of games hard to come by? Thinking of picking one up.

Are these kind of games hard to come by? Thinking of picking one up.

Got my buddy to order it off ebay for me... I got UFC Throwdown, UFC Sudden Impact, PRIDE fighting, and K1 all PS2 games for 60 bucks. K1 was the most expensive though it was 30 bucks.

I fucking LOVE that game.

Leg kick TKOs are awesome.

The flash KO's feel great - feels like you are rewarded for a perfectly timed power strike. It happens often enough to feel realistic and make it not feel like an arcade fighting game with a life bar.... but not so often that it breaks the game.

Loved playing as Hoost and wrecking people to the legs and body.

someone post some gameplay!! Why they can't make em like this i dunno.

I fucking LOVE that game.

Leg kick TKOs are awesome.

The flash KO's feel great - feels like you are rewarded for a perfectly timed power strike. It happens often enough to feel realistic and make it not feel like an arcade fighting game with a life bar.... but not so often that it breaks the game.

Loved playing as Hoost and wrecking people to the legs and body.

Fuck YA that perfectly timed punch I hit it a few times last night and man was it rewarding. Got a flash KO out of nowhere from a left hook im pretty sure, haven't gotten good enough to do leg kick TKOs yet though.

came for gameplay vid, left satisfied. DOWN

The video posted is a different game then I played... That one is K1 2006 I just had Grand Prix, not sure how different they are

[Yt]SiNTDLUgmcc[/MEDIA]

Wish I never stumbled upon the way/glitch to be unstoppable in it. Even though I tried not to use it, I would find myself slipping it in all the time. Kinda killed the amazing game for me.

Nice! I only have the first K-1 game on PS1, found it at Half-Priced Books for 3 bucks, along with the first UFC game which was 5 lol.

I used to play those, I think there was 2 or 3 of them. One of them was really good iirc

I always loved seeing Sherdog on the ring, going way back to when I was still a lurker. It was definitely a sick game. Crocop was my go to, those kicks were so satisfying.

I always loved seeing Sherdog on the ring, going way back to when I was still a lurker. It was definitely a sick game. Crocop was my go to, those kicks were so satisfying.

Haha I got a good kick out of it when I saw Sherdog on the side of the ring. Cro Cop has definitely been my go to, I tried Alexey and got worked. It seems the fighters have more individuality in this than in EA Sports UFC.

Loved that game. I thought it stomped that horrible pride game that was around at about the same time.

Loved that game. I thought it stomped that horrible pride game that was around at about the same time.

This one?

15923_front.jpg

That game was incredible. Well, other than not being able to stand up when you were on your back unless you assigned it to a move.

LOL, it wasn't that bad. The sequel was total shit from what I heard though.

Back