Jorge Linares Appreciation Thread (Happy Retirement)

that Indian

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
It seems as though we have seen the last of the Venezuelan Golden Boy Jorge Linares

A thoroughly underappreciated fighter. His offense was so beautiful and fluid; he combined boxing and punching to perfection. Honestly, if this guy had a chin, he might be right up there with the modern-day GOATs.

I remember watching him and Valero coming up. What a great fighter and classy human being. Wishing him all the best in retirement. Enjoy life Champ!!

Another forum has a thread debating if hes a Hall of Famer or not.

Id go with no for the moment but could be one of those guys that gets in 25 years down the road.
Dont know.

He's a borderline case IMO. He does not have any elite wins and lost to fighters he should have beaten. I know the HOF seems to let in more people these days so you may be right, that he gets in down the road.

Been a fan of linares ever since he beat Kevin Mitchell (one of my all time favourite domestic fighters). He has definitely gone a few years too long but good luck in whatever he does next

Another forum has a thread debating if hes a Hall of Famer or not.
No way. He never beat a great opponent and became a gate keeper at a pretty early point in his career. He never met his perceived potential.
All of that is relative of course. He had some fine accomplishments but enough to overshadow his contemporaries to get into the hall? No way.

I'd love to see Linares get involved with coaching young Venezuelan boxers/kids. He's such a good guy that he'll be fine regardless of what he chooses to do, but i don't want to see him come out of retirement in a year and get KO'd like Lundy currently can't stop himself from doing.

Not HoF good, but he good.

I loved that offense of his when he had the right opponent, it was soooo smooth, absolutely gorgeous.

HOF? Naw. But as has been said, other less deserving made it.

No way. He never beat a great opponent and became a gate keeper at a pretty early point in his career. He never met his perceived potential.
All of that is relative of course. He had some fine accomplishments but enough to overshadow his contemporaries to get into the hall? No way.

I agree with you that he never beat a great opponent and fell significantly short of what people were expecting, but at what point did he become a gate keeper?

He was on a 13-fight win streak when he fought Loma for the WBA super and was 16 years into his career at this point.

cheers to Linares, he was never in a bad fight that i saw. happy retirement to him.
never forget when everyone thought Jorge was washed up and he cracked Haney and made him hold for 2 entire rounds.

I agree with you that he never beat a great opponent and fell significantly short of what people were expecting, but at what point did he become a gate keeper?

He was on a 13-fight win streak when he fought Loma for the WBA super and was 16 years into his career at this point.
I don't know, he was always fighting B level guys. I'd say he became a recognizable name to beat around the time of the Crolla fights.

Was that before or after Tony DeMarco?

Was that before or after Tony DeMarco?

after - Demarco was a good fighter but he was big-brothered by Valero and Linares was supposed to obliterate him via his superior firepower and boxing acumen, but it didn't play out that way

came over and beat some brits, similar to martinez, used to think they were both spanish ?

Back