Joe Rogan Not Happy with New Movie That Makes a Mockery of MMA Legend Bruce Lee

How many Bruce Lee movies have you seen?

• Total voters

ReadWrite

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
“That was fu**ed up. He was a dummy in the movie. The problem was in real life, there was no evidence that he was an egomaniac dummy. He was a very interesting guy. Very insightful.”

In Once Upon A Time In Hollywood, Bruce Lee (played by Mike Moh) fights Cliff Booth (played by Brad Pitt). At first, Lee knocks down Booth. In the second round, Booth launches Lee into a car. They then continue to strike each other before the fight is interrupted. The Bruce Lee character is presented as less-skilled, weaker and dramatic. Some fans were irritated by the representation, including Rogan and Bruce Lee’s daughter.

“The problem was they made him look like a buffoon. There was no evidence that he was a buffoon… It’s a movie about a real person who has a real legacy and a bunch of people love him.”

“There was a lot of evidence that Bruce Lee was this brilliant, insightful guy and in that movie, they made a character of that. I didn’t like it.

“You’re making the guy looking like a fu**ing idiot when he wasn’t an idiot.”

Joe Rogan also critiqued the actor portraying Bruce Lee, Mike Moh:

“The dude who played Bruce Lee was not quite shredded enough.”

Bruce-Lee-696x399.jpg

Bruce Lee's daughter said:

“He comes across as an arrogant a**hole who was full of hot air, and not someone who had to fight triple as hard as any of those people did to accomplish what was naturally given to so many others.”

“It was really uncomfortable to sit in the theater and listen to people laugh at my father,” she said.

“Here, he’s the one with all the puffery and he’s the one challenging Brad Pitt. Which is not how he was.”

In contrast, real-life Bruce Lee was known for actively avoiding confrontation and promoting the martial arts in a respectful and controlled way.

“What I’m interested in is raising the consciousness of who Bruce Lee was as a human being and how he lived his life,” she said. “All of that was flushed down the toilet in this portrayal and made my father into this arrogant punching bag.”

-BJPenn.com

MMA legend?

Um Um he fought in smokers and whatnot yeah yeah

I mean, its a hollyweird movie of course its going to tell a narrative and not what actually happened.
If you want to know about the real man, you read about him, not watch a movie and think thats how he was.

I’ve seen all of Bruce’s movies multiple times. I recommend Game of Death, just for the cardboard cutout of Bruce’s head..lol

at 1:05...

Last edited:
I literally laughed out loud when Pitt threw him at the car. Great movie

And I don't think the portrayal was THAT bad. The character was realistic about boxing being actual combat compared to TMA tournaments and he had some standup skill vs Pitt

Aren't there stories of Bruce Lee going to bars and picking fights with people bigger than him? Also, there's no evidence that Bruce Lee was brilliant, that's stupid.

It's a spoof of the 60s/70s - a comedy/drama in Tarantino style. It isn't a biopic on Bruce Lee. Hardly a conversation worth having.

Edit: I've since watched it twice (both over the weekend). The movie is beautifully shot, as usual. Also as usual for Tarantino, it's driven by near flawless dialog and terrific casting. Every little thing from DiCaprio's occasional nervous stutter to the Manson girls singing some creepy Charles Manson song while frolicking through LA in search of food. The Bruce Lee scene was fucking hilarious. It treated him a bit more as a caricature than the other real life celebrities portrayed in the film, but it was a great little nuance to the weaving story and really just one small part of a great movie.

Last edited:
Aren't there stories of Bruce Lee going to bars and picking fights with people bigger than him? Also, there's no evidence that Bruce Lee was brilliant, that's stupid.

There are many recorded interviews as well as his own published literature.

Schaub: I had no problem with how they depicted Bruce Lee in that movie

Rogan: But there was a problem with it...

Schaub: For sure. 100%

They were waiting for him to do a n word with a hard "er" and when that didn't come they went for this Bruce Lee angle

It is weird , but what are you gonna do, Tarantino gonna Tarantino

The shit isn't a documentary

But, to portray a real-life person as their almost polar opposite is disrespectful, etc.

EDIT: It'd be like having Madonna portray Mother Theresa with her Madonna personality.

I throughly enjoyed the movie. Bruce Lee is an afterthought, a garnish on the 60’s Hollywood culture (in Once upon a time in Hollywood I mean). It was lazy, but hey, it’s Tarantino and the rest of the movie was great.

He was definitely brilliant

The many quotes we have of him and the energy / magnetism and charisma he projected during his many interviews were that of a very wise man who was behind his years

It was framed like a daydream/memory. I think that's how Pitt's character remembers it happening or prefers to remember it happening.

I don't think Bruce Lee is an asshole per se, but he did seem to take himself very seriously.

That actor sounded and had the same mannerisms just like bruce lee, it was a fun little scene though.

The only thing I’ve read about, is people picking fights with him. He usually let them off with an ass kicking.

I know one time he really f’ed up some dude up bad that jumped the fence into his backyard and challenged him when his kids were there.

But, to portray a real-life person as their almost polar opposite is disrespectful, etc.

EDIT: It'd be like having Madonna portray Mother Theresa with her Madonna personality.

I'd watch

but in any case, it's not supposed to be accurate. It's a fictional account for storytelling purposes

Back