Islam SHOULD get massive credit

Islam is definitely not elite in striking, that is laughable. Though he is levels above Khabib, I will give you that. Also, he is definitely a great example of well-rounded modern MMA fighter, doesn’t get much better when your weakest link is above average and very solid.

Considering we’ve seen “elite” kickboxers get sparked in mma, I’d say his mma striking is elite. Not sure how he’d do in a kickboxing ring, but in the context of mma, it’s elite.

He's a good fighter, but he still has a lot of work to do in his division. If he racks up a couple defenses against Lightweights now, I'll be right there with you TS.
Yeah, for sure.
It's definitely time to forget about any super fights and just defend his belt at LW.

He isn't just well rounded. There are plenty guys that are extremely well rounded. RDA is very well rounded. Volk is unbelievably well rounded.
But Islam is literally elite elite cream of the crop in WRESTLING AND STRIKING. It's fucking insane.
I'm not trying to exaggerate but I've always thought he was just a defensively responsible guy on the feet but his stand up has really evolved to the point where it's not that fucking far from his grappling and that's wild to even say.

This is a testament and example of the evolution of this sport. You've got to be not just good everywhere, but elite everywhere. Insane stuff. Volk is still an unbelievable fighter and goated, not taking anything away from him. I just wanted to point out Islam's greatness that he's shown. It really is unprecedented..

Tldr: Mike Perry is Dominican
Until he isnt

Don’t agree while Islam was in training camp Volkanovski was getting surgery on his arm then was off holidaying with his family. He asked for the fight with the guy in the division below him with no training camp short notice. Islam was smart could you see Islam Taking a fight on 2 weeks notice no chance for starters he wouldn’t be in shape and definitely wouldn’t make the weight.

islam is a tough match up for anyone even with a training camp and to be fair he took this fight for the money. I said that a few days ago.

A few days ago I wrote a post about how this is not a lose-lose for Islam, because if beats Volk in spectacular fashion he SHOULD get massive credit. Because even a 12day Volk is a tall ordeal for anyone to overcome.

Well, he beat Volk in spectacular fashion so I can only hope that comes with him receiving massive credit from people. Specifically, I think the following three things ought to be recognised.

1) Islam is P4P n1.
2) Islam could pose a strong threat to anyone at WW (except maybe shavkat)
3) Islam might be better than Khabib. Don't get me wrong, Khabib is probably a more dominant grappler. But Islams standup is very, very very good, a lot better than Khabibs.
You cant be p4p if you dont go up a weight class. Its just not in the conversation so stop saying it. His division is piss poor so move up not fight smaller guys

credit is due over the defenses as a champ and breadth of opponents. he's only beaten oliveira, full fight camp volk, and off the couch volk. he ain't there yet. he needs more defenses against different LW fighters. IMO.

He beat the best guy in the division below him... something that every other champ in the UFC would be expected to do.

The fact that this is seen as such an achievement says more about the greatness of Volk than Islam.

You cant be p4p if you dont go up a weight class. Its just not in the conversation so stop saying it. His division is piss poor so move up not fight smaller guys

I disagree a bit. I think you are correct in saying that p4p has to partially do with how you would do against your neighbouring weight classes. Specifically how a) well you would compete vs the best in your weight class above you and b) how much you would dominate the weightless below you. However, I don't think we need to only rely on a-posteriori fact here, but can use a-priori reasoning. And I think it is safe to assume Islam would compete very well against the vast majority of welterweights. For example, I would favour him over Colby and Belal, and have him pretty even with Leon. Shavkat beats him, but dont think it is an easy fight for Shavkat.

Don't like Makhachev but I agree entirely with your sentiment OP, I have him at P4P No.1 right now too.

Oh also, a final thing.

4) It is time to talk about Islam as the greatest LW of all time.

He's top 5 for sure but how many top 15 lws has he beaten. A young Arman, dan hooker and bobby green on short notice and admittedly no.2 GOAT lws in oliveira but he probably needs 2 more wins (id say Gaethje and Arman to cement himself as the GOAT lw)

He's top 5 for sure but how many top 15 lws has he beaten. A young Arman, dan hooker and bobby green on short notice and admittedly no.2 GOAT lws in oliveira but he probably needs 2 more wins (id say Gaethje and Arman to cement himself as the GOAT lw)

Fair enough!

Back