International [ISIS Repatriation] Yazidis plead with Canada not to repatriate ISIS members

You would be disappointed at how poor my work ethic is, hence my constant posting on Sherdog during working hours
At least you’re holding down a job though. Right?

And any lawyer that is willing to make a solid case on why we should give ISIS a fair shake could definitely be willing to defend me in court if I somehow get caught on camera suplexing an antifa dude onto the concrete.

At least you’re holding down a job though. Right?

And any lawyer that is willing to make a solid case on why we should give ISIS a fair shake could definitely be willing to defend me in court if I somehow get caught on camera suplexing an antifa dude onto the concrete.
Haha, I wish I was a lawyer, nah I’m just someone who took Training Day to heart. It’s not what you know, it’s what you can prove.

P
Haha, I wish I was a lawyer, nah I’m just someone who took Training Day to heart. It’s not what you know, it’s what you can prove.

Well that’s true to a point. But how does it make you feel that 100% of ISIS/terrorist/Taliban personnel will all deny everything and plead innocence and ignorance in court?

I got to see a few of these court hearing last time I was in Afghanistan. These dudes are embarrassingly terrible liars.

Well well well, looks like we've got one too! From Alabama of all places...

Lol, this bitch think the punishment for being an ISIS recruiter is "being watched over 24/7". <Lmaoo>

Even if her dad's lawyers somehow manage to convince an Appellate court to overturn this and facilitate her return, they gonna be very unpleasantly surprised to find out what "18 U.S. Code § 2339B: Providing material support or resources to designated foreign terrorist organizations" entails, courtesy of the Patriot Act.

American-born ISIS bride not a citizen, judge rules
Hoda Muthana will not be allowed to return to the U.S. after traveling to Syria to join the extremists in 2014.
By Luke Denne | Nov 15, 2019​

190220-hoda-muthana-mc-ONE_TIME_USE_ONLY-0900_27a5ae546a362e59213a56a0499d3a3d.fit-2000w.JPG

A federal judge has ruled that Hoda Muthana, an American-born woman who moved to Syria to join the Islamic State militant group, is not a U.S. citizen.

In an interview with NBC News earlier this month, Muthana said she believes she “deserves a second chance” to return to the United States after publicly renouncing the extremist ideology she once espoused freely online.

The New Jersey-born woman left the U.S. in 2014 to join the terrorist group, and burned her U.S. passport shortly after arriving in Syria. She went on to marry three ISIS fighters, all of whom were killed.

Her father, Ahmed Ali Muthana, had been suing to secure permission for his daughter to return to the U.S. with her 2-year-old son, Adam.

The case centers on whether Muthana’s father, who originally came to the U.S. as a diplomat for the Yemeni government, still held diplomatic immunity when she was born in 1994. The children of diplomats are not granted the right to citizenship by birthright.

Ahmed Ali Muthana — a naturalized U.S. citizen — says that his posting had concluded in the months before Hoda was born, but the State Department contested this.

In February, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo told NBC News that “Ms. Hoda Muthana is not a U.S. citizen and will not be admitted into the United States.”

“She’s a terrorist,” he added.

While the judge acknowledged that Ahmed Ali Muthana's diplomatic posting had ended before she was born, he accepted the State Department's argument that notification of his status change was not received in time.

Therefore, Hoda Muthana should not have been granted citizenship by birthright and should never have been issued a passport in the first place.

Christina Jump, one of the attorneys acting for Ahmed Ali Muthana, told NBC News that they are "disappointed" and will "very likely appeal" the ruling.

The Alabama-raised woman became notorious for her online postings from Syria designed to recruit foreigners to join the group and commit acts of violence in their home countries.

In one post, she urged American jihadists to target events like Memorial Day and to “go on drivebys, and spill all of their blood.”

Muthana has since said she felt remorse, and indicated that she “regrets every single thing.”

Concerned for her son’s health, she said she wants to return to the U.S. and face justice.

“They can watch over me 24/7, I’d be OK with that,” she told NBC News from the al-Roj refugee camp in northern Syria this month.

“I want my son to be around my family, I want to go to school, I want to have a job and I want to have my own car.”

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1082766

Lol, this bitch think the punishment for being an ISIS recruiter is "being watched over 24/7". <Lmaoo>

Even if her dad's lawyers somehow manage to convince an Appellate court to overturn this and facilitate her return, they gonna be very unpleasantly surprised to find out what "18 U.S. Code § 2339B: Providing material support or resources to designated foreign terrorist organizations" entails, courtesy of the Patriot Act.

American-born ISIS bride not a citizen, judge rules
Hoda Muthana will not be allowed to return to the U.S. after traveling to Syria to join the extremists in 2014.
By Luke Denne | Nov 15, 2019​

190220-hoda-muthana-mc-ONE_TIME_USE_ONLY-0900_27a5ae546a362e59213a56a0499d3a3d.fit-2000w.JPG

A federal judge has ruled that Hoda Muthana, an American-born woman who moved to Syria to join the Islamic State militant group, is not a U.S. citizen.

In an interview with NBC News earlier this month, Muthana said she believes she “deserves a second chance” to return to the United States after publicly renouncing the extremist ideology she once espoused freely online.

The New Jersey-born woman left the U.S. in 2014 to join the terrorist group, and burned her U.S. passport shortly after arriving in Syria. She went on to marry three ISIS fighters, all of whom were killed.

Her father, Ahmed Ali Muthana, had been suing to secure permission for his daughter to return to the U.S. with her 2-year-old son, Adam.

The case centers on whether Muthana’s father, who originally came to the U.S. as a diplomat for the Yemeni government, still held diplomatic immunity when she was born in 1994. The children of diplomats are not granted the right to citizenship by birthright.

Ahmed Ali Muthana — a naturalized U.S. citizen — says that his posting had concluded in the months before Hoda was born, but the State Department contested this.

In February, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo told NBC News that “Ms. Hoda Muthana is not a U.S. citizen and will not be admitted into the United States.”

“She’s a terrorist,” he added.

While the judge acknowledged that Ahmed Ali Muthana's diplomatic posting had ended before she was born, he accepted the State Department's argument that notification of his status change was not received in time.

Therefore, Hoda Muthana should not have been granted citizenship by birthright and should never have been issued a passport in the first place.

Christina Jump, one of the attorneys acting for Ahmed Ali Muthana, told NBC News that they are "disappointed" and will "very likely appeal" the ruling.

The Alabama-raised woman became notorious for her online postings from Syria designed to recruit foreigners to join the group and commit acts of violence in their home countries.

In one post, she urged American jihadists to target events like Memorial Day and to “go on drivebys, and spill all of their blood.”

Muthana has since said she felt remorse, and indicated that she “regrets every single thing.”

Concerned for her son’s health, she said she wants to return to the U.S. and face justice.

“They can watch over me 24/7, I’d be OK with that,” she told NBC News from the al-Roj refugee camp in northern Syria this month.

“I want my son to be around my family, I want to go to school, I want to have a job and I want to have my own car.”

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1082766

The number of people who think that treason is a game is actually a bit amusing.

You wanna declare war on the country where you were born and got shocked when you can't declare backsies? My heart bleeds for you.

I feel bad for her kid and family, though.

Why European Countries Are Reluctant To Repatriate Citizens Who Are ISIS Fighters
December 10, 2019​
President Trump is continuing to put pressure on European governments to repatriate their ISIS fighters, who the Pentagon says are being held in "pop-up prisons" in northeastern Syria.

"Would you like some nice ISIS fighters?" Trump asked French President Emmanuel Macron on the sidelines of last week's NATO leaders meeting in London. "I can give them to you." To which Macron replied, "Let's be serious."

The awkward exchange between the two world leaders was emblematic of the wider issue at hand. The Trump administration wants Europe to take back its terrorist fighters, but European leaders have brushed away the idea.

Trump previously threatened to drop "thousands" of ISIS fighters into Europe should the various countries continue to shy away from taking them back.

"We're holding thousands of ISIS fighters right now, and Europe has to take them," he told reporters in August. "If Europe doesn't take them, I'll have no choice but to release them into the countries from which they came, which is Germany and France and other places."

reported that an estimated 10,000 ISIS fighters are being held in prison facilities scattered across northeastern Syria. About 2,000 of the detainees are said to be foreign fighters, with the rest identified as Iraqi and Syrian nationals. Of the 2,000 foreign fighters held in Syria, an estimated 800 are from European nations.

U.S. military officials have warned that Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces do not have the capacity to detain thousands of ISIS fighters. Washington has repeatedly called on European countries to repatriate their citizens and try them in their home countries.

"We need countries to repatriate their citizens now more than ever because of the possibly grave consequences of foreign terrorist fighters returning to their home countries on their own and unchecked," a State Department official told NPR.

The prospect of repatriating ISIS fighters is deeply unpopular in most European countries. A recent poll in France found 89% of respondents opposed the return of adult fighters.

In Britain, where voters will elect a new parliament on Thursday, politicians are treading especially carefully.

"We certainly want to see those responsible for atrocities and crimes given justice in the region, so far as that is practical," Britain's Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab said in October. "In relation to the question of returns, we do not want to see foreign fighters returning to this country."

A deadly attack on London Bridge by an extremist who'd previously been jailed on terrorism charges caused more jitters last month.

Public opinion and memories of recent terrorist attacks in Belgium, France, Germany and the U.K. have put politicians in a bind. Even though most politicians and experts agree that repatriating ISIS fighters would be far safer than leaving them in badly protected prisons, advocating for such an approach is tantamount to political suicide, said Thomas Renard, a senior research fellow at the Egmont Institute in Brussels.

"If European countries do set in place repatriation campaigns, it possibly is going to cost them in terms of votes, and it's going to make these governments a relatively easy target for far-right political parties and populist parties," he said.

The U.K. and Denmark have taken some of the most drastic measures thus far by stripping alleged ISIS fighters and their family members of their citizenship in certain instances. Other countries, such as Germany and Sweden, have considered similar plans of their own.

Many European countries have argued it will be difficult to prosecute or convict alleged ISIS fighters for their crimes due to a lack of evidence. Countries might have to settle for minimal sentences, meaning convicted terrorists could be back on Europe's streets in a few short years.

So far, critics say, efforts to rehabilitate former and would-be extremists across Europe have not produced encouraging results. Usman Khan, the London Bridge attacker, served only half of his 16-year sentence and was considered a success story for his rehabilitation program. British Prime Minister Boris Johnson was quick to blame his country's previous administration for the system of early release for convicted terrorists.

"If you are convicted of a serious terrorist offense, there should be a mandatory minimum sentence of 14 years — and some should never be released," Johnson said last week.

In France, an attempt to establish deradicalization centers ended after only five months in 2017. French politician Philippe Bas, a senator from the center-right Republicans party, called the government's plan a "total fiasco."

But Renard argues that doing nothing is far riskier.

"If you leave these foreign fighters in the [Middle East] region, there's a risk that they will further continue radicalizing," he said. "There is also the risk that they may be released by the Kurds, the Turks or the Iraqis at some point and make their way back to Europe in an uncontrolled manner. That's kind of the worst-case scenario."

If fighters stay in the Middle East, they might rejoin ISIS or other terrorist groups, Renard added.

Several nations, including Germany and France, have transferred some of their nationals to Iraq for prosecution. Between May 26 and June 3, 11 French defendants were sentenced to death by hanging in an Iraqi court.

Repatriating adult male fighters is not the only question vexing Europe — there is also the question of what to do with their family members. The U.N. Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights estimates that 11,000 of the roughly 70,000 residents of Syria's al-Hol camp are relatives of foreign ISIS fighters. Most are women and children. U.S. Central Command described the residents of al Hol and other, smaller refugee camps as potentially susceptible to ISIS messaging, coercion and enticement.

Most European governments have said they would consider repatriating children, at least up to a certain age. "However, in reality, it has not resulted in a proactive repatriation campaign for children in the region," Renard said.

An official from the German Federal Foreign Office with knowledge of the situation told NPR the country has been working for several months to facilitate the transfer of German children from northern Syria. Four children arrived in Germany in August, the spokesperson said. The U.K. has repatriated a small number of orphaned children of British ISIS fighters. France has also repatriated several children this year. But a poll in France found two-thirds of people favored leaving the children of jihadists in Iraq and Syria.

Gilles de Kerchove, the European Union's counterterrorism coordinator, warned in May that some of the children of ISIS fighters are at risk of becoming "the next generation of suicide bombers." He described the situation as a "ticking time bomb."

Finding a common European approach to repatriating militants is complicated by the fact that not all nations on the continent share the same concerns. The European Parliament has not adopted an official position on the repatriation of ISIS fighters, as it falls under the jurisdiction of individual EU member states.

"Some countries are not even concerned at all because they have no citizen in Syria and Iraq, so it only concerns only a minority of the member states," Renard said.

However, he proposes that countries facing the same issues develop a shared strategy to ease logistical and legal burdens of repatriation.

In addition, a number of European nations currently don't have consular services in Damascus, Syria's capital, and rely on the help and support of humanitarian organizations and Syrian Kurds.

Turkey's recent incursion into parts of northern Syria, anti-government protests in Iraq and the ongoing civil war in Syria all make an already-complicated situation more so. Turkey recently deported captured fighters hailing from the United States, Denmark and Germany back to their native countries, and threatened to send more in the future.

"These gates will open and these IS members who have started to be sent to you will continue to be sent. Then you can take care of your own problem," Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan warned last month.

Stavros Lambrinidis, the European Union ambassador to the United States, told NPR that Turkey's invasion of northern Syria resulted in the escape of many foreign fighters.

"That is the real danger. If we're going to be serious about the business of ensuring that ISIS does not find a way to rear its ugly head again and to be a real threat, we must be able to address this issue looking at the totality of the risks of people escaping and destabilizing Syria again in a way that creates new radicalization," he said. "This is a classic example of a case that we ought to be much better coordinated together, Americans and Europeans."

Despite the risks of leaving Western-born fighters in Syria and Iraq, Renard believes European countries' reluctance to repatriate their citizens will continue.

"Two months ago, if you would have told [me] about the situation that we have seen unfolding in northern Syria, I would have said that in those circumstances European governments would change their position, but that didn't happen," he said. "I thought it would take a lot for European governments to change their response, but apparently it takes more than a lot. It takes everything, and I do fear that European governments are stuck in their political reason, and that they will not change their mind."

https://www.npr.org/2019/12/10/7833...nt-to-repatriate-its-isis-fighters-here-s-why

Last edited:
Norway Government Crisis Brews Over ISIS Prisoner Return
By Mikael Holter | January 15, 2020​
Norway’s government risks splitting after a coalition partner threatened to pull its support over the repatriation of a woman who joined Islamic State in Syria.

The anti-immigration Progress Party threatened to abandon the Conservative-led administration in the next few weeks if a number of demands aren’t met. Such a move would deprive Prime Minister Erna Solberg of her majority in parliament, and possibly even topple the government.

“We’ve had enough,” Finance Minister and Progress leader Siv Jensen told reporters on Wednesday evening, after meeting with lawmakers and party executives. “We will define some very clear demands to Prime Minister Erna Solberg and the Conservative Party. It will be up to her to take them seriously or not.”

Jensen’s threat follows a government decision to repatriate a Norwegian woman charged with joining a terrorist organization. The woman has two children, one of whom is critically ill. The Progress Party was only willing to bring back the children. The situation echoes similar debates in other European countries over how to handle nationals caught fighting for ISIS.

It’s not the first time that a conflict has erupted between Norway’s government parties, which hold different views on key issues such as immigration, climate change and the Nordic country’s vast oil industry.

The coalition has ruled with the support of the centrist Liberals and Christian Democrats since 2013, before the two parties joined the government in 2018 and 2019, providing Solberg with a majority.

Since the 2017 election, the four parties have lost much of their popular support, with the average of national polls in January compiled by pollofpolls.no indicating they will lose power in 2021 when Norwegians next vote. The Progress Party is down to about 10%, compared to 15% in the 2017 election.

Progress has been forced into a compromise on key issues for too long and the party now needs “clear wins” in government policy, Jensen told state broadcaster NRK on Thursday. The party will probably present a list of demands to Solberg in the course of the day, but the list won’t be made public and Jensen declined to provide details.

Jensen also declined to say whether the government could continue to hold power without her party if it quit. The Conservative Party leads the coalition with 45 seats in Parliament, Progress has 27 and the Liberals and Christian Democrats eight each, giving the government a slim majority in the 169-strong assembly.

https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/...rnment-crisis-brews-over-isis-prisoner-return

Last edited:
Norway’s governing coalition collapses in dispute over ISIS woman’s repatriation
Agence France-Presse | 21 Jan, 2020​

e9b4f6a2-3baf-11ea-a16e-39b824591591_1320x770_022235.jpg

Norwegian Prime Minister Erna Solberg
Norway’s populist Progress Party said Monday it was leaving the right-wing coalition government over the repatriation of a suspected Islamic State member and her two children last week.

“We don’t compromise with people who have voluntarily joined terror organisations. That was the last straw,” party leader Siv Jensen told reporters in Oslo.

Without the Progress Party, the coalition, headed by Prime Minister Erna Solberg, loses its majority in parliament, but she will remain in charge.

As she announced her party’s exit, Jensen said it was “natural” that Solberg would remain prime minister.

The 29-year-old Norwegian woman, who is of Pakistani origin, was married to two different Isis fighters.

She was brought back to Norway with her two children on humanitarian grounds, as her five-year-old son was allegedly very ill. The Progress Party had been in favour of bringing back the children but opposed her return.

However, the other three parties making up the coalition government ignored the objections and approved the mother’s return as she refused to leave her children.

The woman is accused of having been a member of both the Al-Nusra Front and Islamic State and was arrested on Friday night when she returned home to Norway with her five-year-old son and three-year-old daughter, born to different jihadist fighters.

She was formally remanded in custody on Monday, but was temporarily staying with her children, who have been hospitalised.

The woman has rejected charges and said she was held in Syria against her will.

In addition to being at odds with the government in this particular case, Jensen also lamented that the Progress Party had not been able to implement enough of its policies.

In addition the party has been trailing in the polls lately with around 10 per cent support, compared to the 15.2 per cent obtained in the legislative elections of 2017.

Some analysts noted the repatriation incident provided a good opportunity for the party to leave the government to focus on core issues ahead of a general election next year.

During her press conference, Jensen said the Progress Party would be “a tougher and clearer party going forward”.

While the country’s opposition parties denounced the “chaos” of the right-wing coalition, Solberg announced her intention to remain in power through a minority coalition of her Conservative Party and two centre-right allies.

“I hope that the Progress Party wants to continue a close and constructive cooperation in parliament,” Solberg said Monday.

Following the collapse of the self-proclaimed caliphate last year, the fate of foreign fighters and their children has been a cause of political headaches around the world.

According to the United Nations around 28,000 children of foreign fighters are living in Syrian camps – 20,000 of them from Iraq.

Last week, UN investigators called on countries to repatriate the children while criticising plans by some to return minors without their mothers, saying that could “run counter to the principle of the ‘best interests of the child’”.

https://amp.scmp.com/news/world/eur...-coalition-collapses-dispute-over-isis-womans

Last edited:
Three New Zealand citizens detained trying to enter Turkey, ministry says
16 February 2021

eight_col_068_AA_15022021_274364.jpg

A 26-year-old New Zealand citizen (right) and two children were taken to court at Hatay under security measures
In a post on Twitter, the ministry said one of the three, a 26-year-old woman named by the initials S. A., was identified as a terrorist belonging to Islamic State.

Turkey's Anadolu news agency reported the woman was with two children and had been taken to court in the town of Hatay under security measures.

The Turkish Ministry of National Defence said the 26-year-old was wanted through an Interpol blue notice - an international request for countries to share information regarding her identity, location, and activities in relation to a crime.

New Zealand's Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade said it was aware of the information.

Waikato University international law expert Al Gillespie said thousands of Westerners went to the region from 2014 to fight, and many were still in the region in refugee camps or had tried to make their way home.

"We don't really know the numbers that were over there of Kiwi nationality, but these ones have turned up and now we have to decide what to do next," he told Morning Report.

"The fighters is one thing, but the brides and the children is another, and this decision over whether you help bring people back has split most western countries.

"Some will have nothing to do with anyone who went to fight in the conflict. Other countries have said we'll look at this on a case by case basis and we'll help bring back the women and the children because they weren't at the forefront of the conflict."

Gillespie said an Interpol blue notice asking for information relating to a possible crime infers a person is a terrorist, but does not mean they are.

All New Zealanders have a right to come back to the country but that did not mean the country had to facilitate their return or pay for them to come home, he said.

"You can argue that our responsibility foremost is first to the children, then to the non-combatant and then lastly to the combatant" - Prof Al Gillespie

"The problem is more complicated because New Zealand is a very difficult county to get into full stop right now, so trying to argue that anyone should be advanced through that waiting list is a no gamer."

National Party leader Judith Collins said she believed New Zealanders would not be rushing to support the New Zealand woman.

"Most New Zealanders, like me, would consider such a person not someone we would assist to get back to New Zealand, other than actually meeting the obligations that the government has to.

Blocking New Zealanders with links to terrorist organisations was "hard to do" because if people had citizenship "they have the right to come here", Collins said.

"There are some times whether citzenship can be removed is something the government should think about."

She said she had not been briefed by the prime minister, which made it hard for her to comment in any detail, she said.

She would expect to have been briefed when there were "national security implications", she said.

Questions about possible diplomatic support or even repatriation were more difficult with children involved, she said.

"It's one of the issues - it's a very hard situation and that's why it's hard to comment when the government hasn't briefed me on it."

National MP Gerry Brownlee, who held both the Foreign Affairs and Defence portfolios when National was in government, does not know the identity of the woman but said there had been a watch list in New Zealand for some years for people "who had exhibited a sympathy towards ISIS and have expressed some intention to support their particular mission".

"There are others who we know have travelled to the Middle East who did join ISIS and if this person turns out to be one of those they will face the full weight of the Turkish justice system."

The government is declining to comment until later this afternoon, other than the short statement by MFAT.

In 2015, SIS director Rebecca Kitteridge told Parliament's Intelligence and Security Committee there was a developing trend of New Zealand women travelling to ISIS-controlled areas.

At the time, SIS said it could not rule out that up to 12 New Zealand women, who had gone to Islamic State-controlled areas in Syria and Iraq in the 12 months to the end of 2015, were travelling to become wives of fighters.

"It's difficult to see what they do when they go. We definitely do have intelligence that they went," Kitteridge said. "Whether they are going to fight or whether they are going to support other fighters is not clear."

Then prime minister John Key told reporters he was aware of some cases.

"There's certainly a few women that have left, engaged in these weddings effectively at the very last minute, and gone to Syria, and all of those factors would point to the fact that they're going as jihadist brides," he said.

The Security Intelligence Service has since revealed none of the women actually left from New Zealand. Official papers said all were New Zealand citizens who were living in Australia, and they left from there.

"The fact that where they leave from is irrelevant, if they're New Zealanders, they're New Zealanders, they may return to New Zealand and so we have to deal with those issues," Key said.

https://amp.rnz.co.nz/article/ea116fe4-722f-4642-898e-8f8f3ed3e028

Last edited:
There's a lot of banned posters in this thread.
<Wenger85>

New Zealand's Ardern blasts Australia over 'ISIS' citizen
FEBRUARY 16 2021

r0_0_800_600_w576_h298_fmax.jpg

"New Zealand, frankly, is tired of having Australia export its problems," PM Jacinda Ardern says
Jacinda Ardern has unloaded on Scott Morrison for what she sees as an abrogation of responsibly to a citizen who left Australia to allegedly align with ISIS.

In the latest attack on her Australian counterpart, the New Zealand prime minister spoke tersely of her frustrations with Mr Morrison, saying "New Zealand frankly is tired of having Australia export its problems".

Ms Ardern's blast came after a woman and two children were reportedly picked up by Turkish officials for illegally entering that country from Syria.

Turkey claims the woman is an ISIS terrorist with NZ citizenship.

Ms Ardern said the woman was a dual Australian and NZ national until Australia revoked its citizenship last year.

Plainly furious, Ms Ardern said Australia "did not act in good faith" in cancelling citizenship.

"They left New Zealand at the age of six, were resident in Australia from that time, became an Australian citizen, left from Australia to Syria, and travelled on Australian passport," Ms Ardern said in Wellington on Tuesday.

"Our very strong view on behalf of New Zealand and New Zealanders, was that this individual was clearly most appropriately dealt with by Australia.

"I raised that issue directly with Prime Minister Morrison and asked that we work together on resolving the issue.

"I was then informed in the following year that Australia had unilaterally revoked the citizenship of the individual.

"You can imagine my response."

Mr Morrison, speaking at a press conference in Canberra an hour later, said the pair would discuss the issue in a phone call later on Tuesday.

The Australian prime minister was unapologetic for stripping citizenship from the 26-year-old woman.

"It's my job as the Australian prime minister to put Australia's national security interests first," he said.

"The legislation that was passed through our parliament automatically cancels the citizenship of a dual citizen where they've been engaged in terrorist activities of this nature.

"We do not want to see terrorists who fought with terrorism organisations enjoying privileges of citizenship which I think they forfeit the second they engage as an enemy of our country."

The issue recalls the other great strain on the trans-Tasman relationship - Australia's practice of deporting criminals who hold Kiwi passports to New Zealand, even if they hold no established links to the country.

New Zealanders believe that practice contributes to crime at home.

Moreso, it shows strain at a personal level between Ms Ardern and Mr Morrison.

Ms Ardern said she told Mr Morrison directly that should the woman require public support from New Zealand, she wouldn't attempt to be diplomatic.

"We have continually raised with Australia our view that the decision was wrong," she said.

"My concern, however, ... is that we have a situation where someone is now detained with two small children.

"If the shoe were on the other foot, we would take responsibility. That would be the right thing to do. And I ask of Australia that they do the same."

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/7128940/ardern-blasts-morrison-over-isis-citizen/

Last edited:
New Zealand's Ardern blasts Australia over 'ISIS' citizen
FEBRUARY 16 2021

r0_0_800_600_w576_h298_fmax.jpg

"New Zealand, frankly, is tired of having Australia export its problems," PM Jacinda Ardern says

Jacinda Ardern has unloaded on Scott Morrison for what she sees as an abrogation of responsibly to a citizen who left Australia to allegedly align with ISIS.

In the latest attack on her Australian counterpart, the New Zealand prime minister spoke tersely of her frustrations with Mr Morrison, saying "New Zealand frankly is tired of having Australia export its problems".

Ms Ardern's blast came after a woman and two children were reportedly picked up by Turkish officials for illegally entering that country from Syria.

Turkey claims the woman is an ISIS terrorist with NZ citizenship.

Ms Ardern said the woman was a dual Australian and NZ national until Australia revoked its citizenship last year.

Plainly furious, Ms Ardern said Australia "did not act in good faith" in cancelling citizenship.

"They left New Zealand at the age of six, were resident in Australia from that time, became an Australian citizen, left from Australia to Syria, and travelled on Australian passport," Ms Ardern said in Wellington on Tuesday.

"Our very strong view on behalf of New Zealand and New Zealanders, was that this individual was clearly most appropriately dealt with by Australia.

"I raised that issue directly with Prime Minister Morrison and asked that we work together on resolving the issue.

"I was then informed in the following year that Australia had unilaterally revoked the citizenship of the individual.

"You can imagine my response."

Mr Morrison, speaking at a press conference in Canberra an hour later, said the pair would discuss the issue in a phone call later on Tuesday.

The Australian prime minister was unapologetic for stripping citizenship from the 26-year-old woman.

"It's my job as the Australian prime minister to put Australia's national security interests first," he said.

"The legislation that was passed through our parliament automatically cancels the citizenship of a dual citizen where they've been engaged in terrorist activities of this nature.

"We do not want to see terrorists who fought with terrorism organisations enjoying privileges of citizenship which I think they forfeit the second they engage as an enemy of our country."

The issue recalls the other great strain on the trans-Tasman relationship - Australia's practice of deporting criminals who hold Kiwi passports to New Zealand, even if they hold no established links to the country.

New Zealanders believe that practice contributes to crime at home.

Moreso, it shows strain at a personal level between Ms Ardern and Mr Morrison.

Ms Ardern said she told Mr Morrison directly that should the woman require public support from New Zealand, she wouldn't attempt to be diplomatic.

"We have continually raised with Australia our view that the decision was wrong," she said.

"My concern, however, ... is that we have a situation where someone is now detained with two small children.

"If the shoe were on the other foot, we would take responsibility. That would be the right thing to do. And I ask of Australia that they do the same."

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/7128940/ardern-blasts-morrison-over-isis-citizen/

What a joke. She's just upset we beat her to it lol.
Complaining about us sending back new Zealanders? Interesting. 1500( ish ) in the past 5 years.

Meanwhile.

Meanwhile, Immigration New Zealand (INZ)
figures show in the past five years 1040 people have been deported to the Pacific from New Zealand.

Of the deportations, 400 followed criminal convictions, and 640 were for non-criminal reasons.

But in some cases, deportees have lived in New Zealand for years, and consider the country their home.

Those who have dealt with deportees told Newsroom some have not stepped foot in their country of birth since they were children, and no longer have family and cultural ties, and are at high risk of re-offending, especially with a lack of social services and reintegration programmes.

The media loves her so they won't point out the absolutely hypocrisy of her claim.

I guess Samoa Tonga and the Pacific Islands aren't sick of New Zealand sending them their problems? Bah bloody hypocrisy.

With their mother’s Australian citizenship cancelled over alleged ISIS-links, how will NZ deal with her children?
Claire Breen, University of Waikato | February 17, 2021​

By unilaterally revoking the citizenship of the 26-year-old woman detained in Turkey this week, Australia has potentially left her two children in diplomatic limbo.

Known only as “S.A.” (but named by the ABC as Suhayra Aden from Melbourne), she was the subject of an Interpol blue notice, according to the Turkish Ministry of National Defence, which alleges she was a terrorist with Islamic State.

New Zealand Prime Minister Jacdina Ardern responded sternly to Australia’s actions, saying it amounted to their dumping the problem on New Zealand’s doorstep.

The mother had dual New Zealand and Australian citizenship, but left New Zealand for Australia at the age of six, and travelled to Syria from Australia.

It would now appear Australia is also seeking to shut the door on the two children. To paraphrase the old saying, the sins of the mother are being visited upon the children.

The ‘privileges’ of citizenship
The stripping of citizenship as a counter-terrorism measure seeks to address the threat posed by individuals suspected of, or engaged in, terrorist activity.

It’s a tactic used by many countries to prevent citizens from returning when they’re perceived as a risk to national security.

These types of legal balancing acts between an individual’s human rights and national security are not uncommon. As Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison has stated more prosaically, his job is to protect Australians from terrorists “enjoying privileges” of citizenship.

But that view overlooks the situation of two other individuals. Aged five and under, they are presumably not suspected of terrorist activity. Legally, this raises questions about the justification for limiting their citizenship rights.

Where do the children stand?
In spite of the seeming intractability of the row between the two countries, the situation facing these children needs resolving.

Key to that will be the recognition that children enjoy the same human rights protections as adults under the general framework of international human rights law. They also have particular and specific protection under the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child 1989.

Both Australia and New Zealand have accepted these international legal obligations, meaning a number of the provisions of this convention must inform both countries’ decisions in this case.

The convention opens by stating that the family is “the fundamental group of society” and the child should grow up in a family environment.

Similarly, involuntary separation is to be avoided, unless it is in the child’s best interests.

The right to a nationality
Children have a right to a nationality. As far as possible, they also have the right to know and be cared for by their parents.

This right is particularly important in the current situation. Children born overseas to Australian citizens can claim Australian citizenship upon application. So too can the children of New Zealanders born overseas.

However, the children of Australian citizens who have had their citizenship revoked can themselves lose their citizenship rights.

The UN Committee on the Rights of the Child highlighted the potential impact on the citizenship of Australian children. It called for Australia to ensure no child is deprived of citizenship on any ground regardless of the status of his or her parents.

Human rights versus national security
The case also raises questions around the balancing of national security and human rights. For the children involved, a number of the convention’s guiding principles underpin these rights.

As part of the prohibition of discrimination, states are required to ensure the child is protected against all forms of discrimination or punishment on the basis of the status or activities of the child’s parents.

The best interests of the child should govern all decisions relating to them, and the child has a right to be heard in all proceedings affecting them.

The child also has the right to life, survival and development. Given reports that a third sibling has died of pneumonia, this right and guiding principle takes on real significance.

In essence, then, the rights of the child must inform any decisions about the future of these children. As part of that process, the maintenance of relationships with the wider family unit — if not their mother — is still key and the child’s best interests must be taken into account.

These are rights, not privileges.

https://theconversation.com/amp/wit...nks-how-will-nz-deal-with-her-children-155385

In another time they would face the firing squad. They wouldn't dare return.
Today though, I think they'll get off live normal lives like nothing happened.
There's plenty of war criminals living freely in Canada and Germany. UK will will do the same. Such is the world we live in.
I do t like using the word, but cuck really fits the bill here. These people didn’t just join ISIS, as many were conscripted and such. These people went out of their way to go and assist the insane group. I find it crazy that these nations are willingly taking back in maniacs

Fate of the child? Hopefully in a foster home that doesn’t brainwash them to murder the infidels

Those children losing their parents may be some of the best things to happen to society.

I think most people in the West are okay with taking the children back and put them in foster care, while letting their parents continue enjoying their paradise in the Middle East.

Ofcourse, there are always advocates who believe that families should not be broke up and the West should take everyone back, even if the parents are terrorists, to which I would say the virtue-signalers can go pound Syrian sands.

Last edited:
U.K Supreme Court Says Shamima Begum, Who Left U.K. To Join ISIS, Cannot Return
By Bill Chappell | February 26, 2021

_117308337_hi052411267.jpg
Shamima Begum, who left London in 2015 to join ISIS, cannot return to Britain while she fights to restore her citizenship, the U.K. Supreme Court ruled on Friday. Begum was 15 when she ran away to Syria with two friends; she's now being held in a detention camp in northern Syria.

Begum was born in the U.K., but the country revoked her British citizenship two years ago, citing security concerns. She then asked for permission to enter the U.K. to appeal that move, but the government denied her application.

Soon after joining the Islamic State, Begum married a Dutch fighter in the terrorist group. Now 21 years old, she has given birth to three children, all of whom have died due to illness or poor conditions. Her husband, Yago Riedijk, is in a Kurdish-run detention center elsewhere in northern Syria, according to the BBC.

Begum's flight from the U.K. to join the terrorist group triggered an international search. Four years later, a journalist found her in a detention camp. At the time, she said she did not regret her actions. But she also said, "I actually do support some British values and I am willing to go back to the U.K. and settle back again and rehabilitate and that stuff."

British Nationality Act of 1981 lets the government strip Britons of their citizenship if it would be 'conducive to the public good' and if the person wouldn't become stateless as a result."

But Bangladesh has shown no interest in extending Begum citizenship, noting that she's never been there or sought a Bangladeshi passport. Begum has agreed with that assessment.

Begum's legal dispute with the U.K. has been convoluted, as she followed several avenues of appeal. At one point, the U.K.'s Special Immigration Appeals Commission found that the government had not violated its (own) policies when it stripped Begum of her nationality.

But while the commission noted that Begum's appeal would not necessarily succeed, it also said that because of her status living under armed guard in the Al-Roj camp run by the Syrian Democratic Forces, her appeal process could not be seen as fair or effective.

The U.K. Court of Appeal later sided with Begum, saying she must be allowed to enter the U.K. to fight to restore her citizenship. But the government appealed to the Supreme Court, which today ruled against Begum's return.

For instance, the Supreme Court stated in a summary of its judgment, "the Court of Appeal mistakenly believed that, when an individual's right to have a fair hearing of an appeal came into conflict with the requirements of national security, her right to a fair hearing must prevail. But the right to a fair hearing does not trump all other considerations, such as the safety of the public."

The Supreme Court also said the lower court had erred by invoking a British law guaranteeing residents access to the courts, despite Begum not fully making that argument. And it said the court had not given the government's national security assessment "the respect which it should have received."

If it's impossible for Begum's case to be fairly heard, the Supreme Court said, her appeal should have been stayed until she could effectively participate in hearings.

"That is not a perfect solution, as it is not known how long it may be before that is possible," the court stated. "But there is no perfect solution to a dilemma of the present kind."

https://www.npr.org/2021/02/26/9717...begum-who-left-u-k-to-join-isis-cannot-return

Last edited:
Seems like they wanted to make an example out of her. I would imagine that she thouroughly regrets ever getting involved and did something really silly at a young age. I doubt that she would be a threat to national security if she was allowed back, but looks like shes going to have to make a life of it outside the UK now.

Imagine going to join ISIS to fight some revolution, and then getting there and realizing that your role in this "revolution" is to be a slave and baby maker.

Back