Is Islam Makhachev formally ranked in Judo?

Kertol

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Does anyone know if he is formally ranked? I would assume he is a black belt. I read that he trained in Judo growing up but couldn’t find much more information.

His judo is super slick and technical. Maybe it’s just a result of his high level Sambo and that’s it?

Last edited:
I think in Dagestan there's so much cross training between Judo, Sambo and Freestyle that the lines between them there are mostly blurred.

Well Islam grew up training with Khabib under his father. And in Dagestan, they tend to cross train a lot before specializing. While Khabib has put on Judo clinics and there are photos of him wearing his black belt...so I would imagine the same for Islam holding the same rank.

However, their major titles come from Sambo.

There was a video some time ago where Khabib was laughing that people called him a blackbelt in Judo - saying that he wasn't but his father was : www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdML6kpTyQw?t=129

I don't know about Makhachev, but given that hes been with Khabib and Abdulmanap for so long, I'd assume he never formally got a black belt in Judo either - that said, I don't actually know.

They focus is on combat sambo and MMA, so I don't think they ever cared about a Judo grading, or dedicated to it to get a blackbelt - and my experience with Russian Judoka that I've met is that it is much harder to get a blackbelt in Judo there than it is in other places in Europe.

Last edited:
upload_2020-10-26_9-12-51.jpeg

There are more photos of him sporting a judo black belt. But I don’t doubt it if he says he is not a black belt. There is always mention of his father holding Master of Sports title in both Sambo & Judo. That title is specific to the Russian Federation.

And yes, their focus is on Sambo. There is no denying that.

There are more photos of him sporting a judo black belt. But I don’t doubt it if he says he is not a black belt.

I know there are a lot of pictures of him wearing a black belt at various Judo clubs - but if he visited your club, its not like you are going to ask him what grade he got to when he stopped doing Judo as a kid, and then be like, ok let me get you a green belt, you'd just give him a blackbelt to wear.

Maybe he was given a black belt since the video? - but I just seems unlikely to me that he would have jumped through the necessary hoops to get it, because it wouldn't add anything to his career and would just be a distraction. Maybe the Russian Judo Federation bestowed him one?

There was a video some time ago where Khabib was laughing that people called him a blackbelt in Judo - saying that he wasn't but his father was : www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdML6kpTyQw?t=129

I don't know about Makhachev, but given that hes been with Khabib and Abdulmanap for so long, I'd assume he never formally got a black belt in Judo either - that said, I don't actually know.

They focus is on combat sambo and MMA, so I don't think they ever cared about a Judo grading, or dedicated to it to get a blackbelt - and my experience with Russian Judoka that I've met is that it is much harder to get a blackbelt in Judo there than it is in other places in Europe.

very interesting. I always thought Khabib was a Judo black belt. Maybe his father just gave him one?

I would assume the same for Islam then.

His focus is wrestling and mma at AKA with Cormier and many other world class wrestlers.

I am unsure, although I think Makhachev had more of a background in freestyle. His father had some kind of freestyle school?

I haven't watched a lot of Islams fights but isn't he just like Khabib? Mainly a wrestler that goes for the legs and only uses judo trips and throws when the opponent defends the leg dives. From what I understood Khabib already had around 10 years of wrestling experience before he tried judo. I would assume Islam got a similiar background.

I also think it's interesting to see the big difference between combat sambists when it comes to takedowns. Someone like Fedor with a judo background only used upperbody/judo takedowns. Khabib with a freestyle background does the opposite, always dives for the legs.

Back