Law Investing in Domestic Semiconductor Manufacturing Act: Signed into Law 8/9/2022

It is not necessary and a waste of money. US gets what it needs from Taiwan why change that special relationship?

I think it's a COVID lesson, for tail events, if you don't have at home production capacity, you're at the mercy of others and supply chains.

The potential devastation to the economy in a tail event is too significant IMO. Granted, this isn't my field of expertise, but that would be my stance til proven otherwise.

Hah, yeah. I've made at least a half-dozen threads on this industry and it has a significant local imprint. There really isn't anything new to add because these bills have been sitting around for quite a while.

We really needed to have done this decades ago but better late than never. No offense to Taiwan, but its dangerous relying on them given the situation over there
It is not necessary and a waste of money. US gets what it needs from Taiwan why change that special relationship?

TSMC is already investing heavily in stateside American manufacturing, their Phoenix mega-site currently under construction is ultimately going to be a $35 billion project with six fabrication plants. The process tech is cutting edge, not legacy nodes.

I get that is not simple but with enough cash it can be done. Rather than giving billions to a company to open up shop here. Put a few extra billion in it and do it all in house. We throw billions out around the world already so what is a few more when it can actually benefit us.
As in a nationalized company essentially instead of a tax cut to a private US company like Intel?

Intel already keeps the vast majority of their in-house manufacturing operations within the United States and they always have. It definitely hasn't been economically advantageous for them to do so given the sort of incentives and subsides offered by other central governments around the world.

Intel already keeps the vast majority of their in-house manufacturing operations within the United States and they always have. It definitely hasn't been economically advantageous for them to do so given the sort of incentives and subsides offered by other central governments around the world.
I got mixed feelings on subsidies, but I do think more semiconductor manufacturing being domestic (and just more in general) is good for manufacturers (as in the companies using semiconductors, not the actual fabs) and consumers

@Staph infection

I certainly understand the skepticism and love the nationalist sentiments but Intel could honestly be a lot worse given the sort of shit corporations get up to in order to maximize profits at all costs. In recent years, they've had some real bad leadership at the exec level with empty suits replacing engineers and making administrative decisions, obscene stock buybacks, etc. but god damn... you really could do a whole lot worse. They have practically held down the domestic semiconductor industry, most US firms are fabless and have no capability to produce their own designs,100% of production must be outsourced. As an IDM, Intel both designs and manufactures chips.

Intel Manufacturing Sites:

A whole lot of Made In USA, Very Little Chy-Na.

fab.jpg

Same retard that probably thinks the US is too weak and wicked to defend Taiwan.

Same retard that probably thinks the US is too weak and wicked to defend Taiwan.

Taiwan isnt our concern. It isnt even a country it belongs to China like Ukraine is Russian especially Crimea and Eastern/Southern Ukraine. Gods will and god will ensure the defeat of evil satanists in west.

Taiwan isnt our concern. It isnt even a country it belongs to China like Ukraine is Russian especially Crimea and Eastern/Southern Ukraine. Gods will and god will ensure the defeat of evil satanists in west.
Taiwan is a country. It has its own Military, Government, President, Flag, Constitution, currency, Post Office, Anthem. Mainland Chinese laws do not apply in Taiwan.

Only Chinese Nationalists insist it isn't a country. Other countries don't recognize it because they don't want to lose access to the Chinese market.

Taiwan is a country. It has its own Military, Government, President, Flag, Constitution, currency, Post Office, Anthem. Mainland Chinese laws do not apply in Taiwan.

Only Chinese Nationalists insist it isn't a country. Other countries don't recognize it because they don't want to lose access to the Chinese market.

Taiwan belongs to China. For sure I will say it has an argument to be separate more than Eastern Ukraine does.

-Taiwan is not ours, it is China.

-WTF why should the US be concerned with Taiwanese chips, we have such a good relationship!

If I didn’t consider you extremely mentally ill or a troll, you’d be my first candidate as an AI bot masquerading as a Sherdog poster.

Taiwan belongs to China. For sure I will say it has an argument to be separate more than Eastern Ukraine does.
How does it belong to China? Just because China claims it, doesn't mean anything. China claims a lot of territory, cause they are expansionist.

How does it belong to China? Just because China claims it, doesn't mean anything. China claims a lot of territory, cause they are expansionist.

They speak chinese, it was Chinese less than a century ago. Nobody recognizes it. At the same time it is tricky because I always support separtists. It is tyranny to force people with different identity who want to be left alone to stay in your union.

It is imperialism. And it always leads to violence. The people opposed to US secession of states if they wisj it peacefully. The people opposed to Catalan independence or Scottland or Eastern Ukraine or Crimea are ultimately imperialists supporting tyranny.

Until recently I considered Taiwan independent on the basis they dont want to be part of China. However, I recently heard the Chinese and non western view and I am honestly not so sure on what % of Taiwan truly is pro chinese. Before you mention chechnya I will say if Chechnya was actually peaceful I would of been fine with them leaving. All parts of world that want to rule a people but not let them vote or support their identity or leave is an issue and always leads to violent reaction.

Procedural vote went through which likely means it will pass during the actual vote next week.

They speak chinese, it was Chinese less than a century ago. Nobody recognizes it. At the same time it is tricky because I always support separtists. It is tyranny to force people with different identity who want to be left alone to stay in your union.

It is imperialism. And it always leads to violence. The people opposed to US secession of states if they wisj it peacefully. The people opposed to Catalan independence or Scottland or Eastern Ukraine or Crimea are ultimately imperialists supporting tyranny.

Until recently I considered Taiwan independent on the basis they dont want to be part of China. However, I recently heard the Chinese and non western view and I am honestly not so sure on what % of Taiwan truly is pro chinese. Before you mention chechnya I will say if Chechnya was actually peaceful I would of been fine with them leaving. All parts of world that want to rule a people but not let them vote or support their identity or leave is an issue and always leads to violent reaction.
Chinese are not indegenous to Taiwan. If the CCP takes over, they will wipe out the small indegenous population.

Chinese are not indegenous to Taiwan. If the CCP takes over, they will wipe out the small indegenous population.

How can you not agree with my other points or do you? Or do you use some weird logic to deny the people of Catalan a separate country? Or eastern Ukraine? Or Kurds to have Syria? Or Scottland? What about a Palestinian state? Or US secession if peacefully applied for?

I am no expert on Taiwan but Mandarian is spoken there overwhelmimgly last I checked. Chinese in china are a mixture of 2 east asian subraces all united by mandarian. Many different ethnic groups existed till china ruined it all and .ade everyone a "Han"

Intel and TSMC are already building massive plants in the USA. Really need to help them protect IP better. Encourage others like ARM and the such to build in the USA too. It’s really simple and should have been done decades ago as @SakurabasEar said

We really needed to have done this decades ago but better late than never. No offense to Taiwan, but its dangerous relying on them given the situation over there

I believe the three largest semiconductor manufacturers in the world are all currently building massive factories in Texas from memory.

Edit: I apparently don't English so good.

Last edited:
Back