Improving Draw to Shoot Times

SummerStriker

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
I went to an indoor range today to work on cadence. I also worked on shooting my new, stock, 43X by firing one round from low ready.

I took a lesson recently in which my shot times were slow. I had a red dot, and I blamed it on that some, but I decided today it was more than that. I feel very insecure with my sight picture, and would always take an extra second to lock everything in before shooting. Maybe when I was newer, I still had to do that.

Today, I started trying to use some haste and make myself take the shot when I had it lined up, without second guessing it. Was still able to hit about as well.

Well done.

Keep Practicing that.

If at any point it deteriorates you must re-slow it down to smooth it back out to proceed with the speed again.

My experience with this is that I have to decide beforehand the shot is going to happen, no ifs ands or buts, and so I'm already prepping the trigger as I'm coming up on target, and its breaking right as I get the flash visualization of the sights on target.

Do you ever find you're over-muscling during the extension phase?

I originally did it like I was doing karate lol

So is that a yes?
elvis-karate.gif

I always thought it should like the Kung Fu punch analogy

Loose and relaxed till the end. (more difficult to maintain the faster you go) I had to learn it in fencing, cause I'd miss if I muscled it too much.

I went to an indoor range today to work on cadence. I also worked on shooting my new, stock, 43X by firing one round from low ready.

I took a lesson recently in which my shot times were slow. I had a red dot, and I blamed it on that some, but I decided today it was more than that. I feel very insecure with my sight picture, and would always take an extra second to lock everything in before shooting. Maybe when I was newer, I still had to do that.

Today, I started trying to use some haste and make myself take the shot when I had it lined up, without second guessing it. Was still able to hit about as well.

I think I learned something yesterday after work.

Whipped out the contraption and practiced slinging some lead.

Predominantly at 15 yards.

Best I can describe it is "Looking over the sights"

Anyways, I'm right handed, left dominant eyed, so I turn my head slightly, but also many times to get behind the sight precisely I'll dip my chin.

Yesterday, I noticed if I keep my gaze fixed on the target, without dipping my chin and just stroke out, the sights come in, (what appears to be under the target) and I'm rather looking over the sights. But they're on target. The shots confirmed. Actually they were a little more accurate than if I took extra time to Consciously get behind the sights.

It's like my eyeline is probably where it would be if there was an optic on the pistol, (maybe)

Like I said best I can describe it is looking over the sights, not directly behind them.

It was faster, smoother, and less hassle honestly, but I'm such a control freak, I need to try it some more in order to trust it.

Maybe its akin to the way shotgun goons look over the sights in skeet?

Have you ever tried this, or noticed it?

Going to work on it some more.

Practice practice practice. Also, you need to find a good median for slide length. I have a Glock 45(which has the 17 handle and 19 slide). I’m quick on the draw with that thing over a 17 length pistol.

I also have a 43x. Usually that is a concealed carry gun, which I tend to draw slower than if I carry OWB

Have you ever killed anyone?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Konster1
Back