I have questions about Poker. (This is an open thread about Poker, feel free to share ideas)

Do you play poker online?

• Total voters
If you’re going to play a lot of MTTs, especially online, it’s important to have a strong understanding of ICM, and to utilize correct push/fold charts for when you’re inevitably running near 10bb.

And in my opinion, also understand what your goal is. If it’s to cash in as many tourneys as possible, versus trying to get top 3, these are very different strategies.

Best hand I ever had was 4 Queens (can't remember the fifth card) vs an Aces over Kings full house.

Does not really apply to this thread, but I love mentioning it any chance I can get, lol.

I've seen where a player just called with 2 aces when the player in the big blind had a pair of 3s. Another player called with ace king. The flop came ace 3 3. They kept raising and called. The turn card was a king. The player with 3 aces went all in and the other 2 called. The river card didn't matter.

The player with 2 aces thought he was luring someone in without showing the strength of his hand and would have lost to either of the other 2.

I enjoy keeping track of how the hands that folded could have done.

I think back to when they first started showing the tournaments on television. The final tables were usually from the same group of about 20 people. As the tournaments got bigger, their were more people who didn't play correctly according to the pros. The pros pretty much knew how the other pros played. Many of the pros got knocked out by somebody in their first tournament staying in when they "shouldn't" have.

I've seen where a player just called with 2 aces when the player in the big blind had a pair of 3s. Another player called with ace king. The flop came ace 3 3. They kept raising and called. The turn card was a king. The player with 3 aces went all in and the other 2 called. The river card didn't matter.

The player with 2 aces thought he was luring someone in without showing the strength of his hand and would have lost to either of the other 2.

I enjoy keeping track of how the hands that folded could have done.

I think back to when they first started showing the tournaments on television. The final tables were usually from the same group of about 20 people. As the tournaments got bigger, their were more people who didn't play correctly according to the pros. The pros pretty much knew how the other pros played. Many of the pros got knocked out by somebody in their first tournament staying in when they "shouldn't" have.
The player with AA in your example would have won over the AK as he boated the flop. The guy with AK severely overplayed a top pair hand and probably should have folded once stacks were going in. The player with AA played correctly post flop. Although I am generally 3-betting AA a high % of time and only flatting them a low % of time. If you’re folding a flopped boat with the fear that one of the other 2 had quads, you’re playing wayyyyyy too tight. Losing a hand like that sucks, but variance is a built in part of the game.

Also, I have a ton of respect and admiration for the old guard of pro players. But most of them had very rudimentary understandings of how to play poker “correctly”, compared to how the younger modern players are playing now.

Did you see that video posted above of that guy folding aces preflop? Unreal I must say, even though in hindsight it was correct thing to do. Weird how that works.
didn't see it. we want to get our money in when it's good, aces preflop are always good, maybe less good if seven people limp in but still good...

I'm just a poker amateur but I'll chime in

I would go big pre flop with low pairs. It's a 50/50 shot against higher two cards, like jack-ten. This way you prevent people with those hands from seeing a free or cheap flop that gives them more chances to pair up their hands

QJ statistically should be a good starting hand, but I have some superstitions about starting hands. Like KQ never worked for me, but suited 6-9 (giggity) has done well for me.

Ace with a lower card is usually a trap, especially if it's off suit. I've heard pros talk about it too. Depending on the table and the bets, I would make a standard raise to get some people out and see a flop, but not too committed to that hand

There has been cases of folding A-A pre flop in televised events. Turned out to be the right decision but I won't do it. At least not on pre flop

Folding AA preflop is literally never the correct decision.

The way a hand plays out is one thing, cards are random, but again, folding AA preflop is literally never the correct decision.

EDIT: I jumped the gun, and was thinking in terms of a cash game. In a tourney if you are at the bubble or trying to ladder up the pay scale, and you are facing several aggressive raisers who have you covered folding any had is reasonable.

Yeah folding AA preflop sounds ridiculous, but I can see it happen in a tourney where you're desperate to make it ITM or you're trying to get a huge bump in money late in the tournament, where there is a guy with short stack and one of the massive stacks go all in, you may wait until that short stack is eliminated until you play a hand again.

Although it's very stupid to fold AA in any situation. I don't know it's very rare if anything. My deal with AA preflop is you got the best hand even if all 8 others players go all in and your all in as well. You still have the best chance of winning.
I always bet big with queens and up pre-flop. Folding is stupid

I almost always fold AA pre flop, depends on my mood but I’ve lost with a lot on the table 99% of the time coming out the gate with them.

I just don’t win with them typically.

I’ve won some big hands with them before, but on average I’ve let them let me lose too much and I just let them go now mostly ..

I almost always fold AA pre flop, depends on my mood but I’ve lost with a lot on the table 99% of the time coming out the gate with them.

I’ve won some big hands with them before, but on average I’ve let them let me lose too much and I just let them go now mostly ..

lol

tenor.gif

For the poker afficionados on here.

First off this is for no limit texas holdem tournaments.

1) How do you play 66, 77 or 88 on the gun/first to play? And you have medium stack, deep into the tournament. Do you call, fold or raise?

2) Is QJ suited an overrated hand? Like it looks good but it's not that powerful?

3) Do you like playing A2, A3, A4 or A5 hands? How do you play these hands?

4) Is there a situation where you fold AA pre-flop?

Anyone else have questions feel free to ask.

1) If I am under the gun, I am going to raise big blind normally, but would really need more information.

2) How can it be over rated if you yourself are rating it?

3) I like playing any hand I can. It really depends on position and who I am playing against. I could call BB, I could check as BB, I could call BB as small blind, I could pre-flop bluff. It all depends.

4) Stupid question, but so are all your other questions.

I suppose if it was late in a tournament, and several people went all in and if I stayed out had a high chance of making the guaranteed money I could fold.......

How do you play 66, 77 or 88 on the gun/first to play? And you have medium stack, deep into the tournament. Do you call, fold or raise?

Obviously if you've got a pocket pair you stay in to the flop.

Is QJ suited an overrated hand? Like it looks good but it's not that powerful?

Again, depends on the flop but it makes perfect sense to call into it.

Do you like playing A2, A3, A4 or A5 hands? How do you play these hands?

Nobody "likes" playing them but they're as good an opportunity for a straight as any.

Is there a situation where you fold AA pre-flop?

Yeah when I'm broke.

I thought you were the one asking the questions.

I have literally no idea how to play poker. Like none whatsoever. It is like League of Legends and chess -- things that, from the outside, seem so impossibly complex that I'm not even going to try.
Its easy
Just sink a three pointer from the mid rink
Of they pull a madonna in tne half time
Put it all on black lives and let it matter

On line you just sit there and wait for made hands and most times you get paid off. Key to online poker is just patience n discipline. On line if you can be a knit n stick to it you win.

Low pocket pairs just call in early position n any raise over 4 to es the blind you fold as you're just ser mining anyway n if u dont hit on flop you're likely folding anyway.

QJ suited is a solid hand n worth playing if on the cheap.

A rag I hate unless I'm in great position I fold.

AA is auto either all in or min bet half stack pre flop.

1) If I am under the gun, I am going to raise big blind normally, but would really need more information.

It's pretty straight forward the question, do you call, raise or fold. Deep in the tournament with medium stack with those hands I explained.

2) How can it be over rated if you yourself are rating it?

What?? That doesn't make sense. Hands can be overrated, even if I rate it.

4) Stupid question, but so are all your other questions.

I suppose if it was late in a tournament, and several people went all in and if I stayed out had a high chance of making the guaranteed money I could fold.......

You just reinforced the question, by giving a reasonable answer. So how is that a stupid question?

You can fold AA pre-flop when you're deep-stacked and one seat away to winning a satellite. Example: 8-handed table and 7 get seats and you're the big chip-leader.
This. There are situations to do it in but almost all situations would involve an All In on cash games, or a tourney situation and are super fucking rare. Bet on that shit, do not be shy. But remember, sometimes shitty little 3 of a kinds can stomp all over your pocket rockets so be bold but don't act like they are the end all be all pre-flop.

I thought you were the one asking the questions.

Anyone can contribute with more questions, it's an open thread about poker. I obviously don't have all the questions or the answers. It's just a place to exchange ideas.

How do you play 66, 77 or 88 on the gun/first to play? And you have medium stack, deep into the tournament. Do you call, fold or raise?

Is QJ suited an overrated hand? Like it looks good but it's not that powerful?

Do you like playing A2, A3, A4 or A5 hands? How do you play these hands?

Is there a situation where you fold AA pre-flop?

First, let me say that I play poker believing it's mostly about luck, with minimal skill involved, so my answers reflect that.

I play low pairs conservatively and won't call massive raises preflop with them. I'm not about that 50/50 toss up shit. If the guy has KQ, he has more outs than you do to win the hand. It's not worth it.

I'm not a fan of QJ. Just something about the hand feels wrong. I will play it more often when it's suited and will call most bets preflop, but typically someone is holding a K and even a K2 beats QJ. I will almost always play Q10 suited and Q8, don't ask me why.

I will fold A (low card) if they aren't suited preflop. If they are suited, I am more apt to call most bets to see what the flop turns up.

Folding AA...this is where my luck over skill belief comes into play. I'm not sure I'd ever put my tournament life on the line preflop with any hand, unless it was heads-up. AA might be the best hand, but the flop, turn, river are all luck. I've sen aces cracked by 62 off-suit. It really depends on what the bet is, how many players are involved and who else is behind me that might call. I've cracked them myself with 97 suited in a tournament. I'm just not that willing to commit everything preflop unless it's heads-up. I have folded Aces post-flop once when the flop was all hearts and I didn't have one and there were two big bets ahead of me cause at that point, any low heart beats my aces with two cards still to go. Just not worth it. I'm not trying to go broke proving how manly I can be at the poker table.

My favorite hand to play is 82 suited and I hate playing KK because a fucking Ace always comes on the flop. It never fails.

It's pretty straight forward the question, do you call, raise or fold. Deep in the tournament with medium stack with those hands I explained.

What?? That doesn't make sense. Hands can be overrated, even if I rate it.

You just reinforced the question, by giving a reasonable answer. So how is that a stupid question?

It's not straight forward.

I rate it better than KJ and worse than AT if you want to know.

I think there was a few pages in a poker book I read when I was a kid about "when to fold aces pre flop". It's not that people don't ask the question, its just that the people who would ask it are dead money. So I guess I shouldn't have said the question is stupid. I should have said that generally the type of people that ask that question are stupid.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rank Wang
Back