I have questions about Poker. (This is an open thread about Poker, feel free to share ideas)

Do you play poker online?

• Total voters

Takes_Two_To_Tango

Formally known as MXZT
Platinum Member
Reaction score
For the poker afficionados on here.

First off this is for no limit texas holdem tournaments.

How do you play 66, 77 or 88 on the gun/first to play? And you have medium stack, deep into the tournament. Do you call, fold or raise?

Is QJ suited an overrated hand? Like it looks good but it's not that powerful?

Do you like playing A2, A3, A4 or A5 hands? How do you play these hands?

Is there a situation where you fold AA pre-flop?

Anyone else have questions feel free to ask.

Last edited:
For the poker afficionados on here.

How do you play 66, 77 or 88 on the gun/first to play? And you have medium stack, deep into the tournament. Do you call, fold or raise?

Anyone else have questions feel free to ask.

Depends on where the loose raisers and big stacks are sitting to you. If I think those mid pairs can survive a call all the way I will call. If not I will fold. Pick and choose your battle. The momentum of the game could be slow or slower all of a sudden so you can take a chance and call.

I personally rate those pairs higher than A2-5. If unsuited I fold those hands automatically. Not worth the headache and tough choices i'll be forced to make. If they are suited then it will depend on whether I feel frisky or not.

With a medium stack I tend to be more conservative though. But my strategy may suddenly change if I see something that tells me to be aggressive. But at best I am calling with those hands. NEVER raising.

I would never fold AA pre-flop. I have folded KKs before but it was because I wanted to stay in the tourney and drink slowly. Not a lot of money so I was there for fun and opponent 4-betted so I thought he had AA. Dude actually had A-garbage. Meh.

I'm just a poker amateur but I'll chime in

I would go big pre flop with low pairs. It's a 50/50 shot against higher two cards, like jack-ten. This way you prevent people with those hands from seeing a free or cheap flop that gives them more chances to pair up their hands

QJ statistically should be a good starting hand, but I have some superstitions about starting hands. Like KQ never worked for me, but suited 6-9 (giggity) has done well for me.

Ace with a lower card is usually a trap, especially if it's off suit. I've heard pros talk about it too. Depending on the table and the bets, I would make a standard raise to get some people out and see a flop, but not too committed to that hand

There has been cases of folding A-A pre flop in televised events. Turned out to be the right decision but I won't do it. At least not on pre flop

There is no situation to fold aces preflop.

Yes, play ace trash but don't think you're married to it...

Qj suited is overrated by morons. It's a decent starting hand if there's less than maybe 6 at the table.

And medium pairs can be played anyway one wants. It's all situational but I tend to play them conservatively if I'm in with more than one person. If I'm on the button and it's folded to me I bet preflop to hopefully push the blinds out, I will likely also call a bet preflop and maybe raise if the better is loose. If you mean under the gun (first to act preflop) I'll put in a decent bet to push out the riff raff looking for a free flop. Just assess the situation and like any hand in poker, it's more important to fold when you're beat then win with a big hand in the long term...

I have literally no idea how to play poker. Like none whatsoever. It is like League of Legends and chess -- things that, from the outside, seem so impossibly complex that I'm not even going to try.

Depends on where the loose raisers and big stacks are sitting to you. If I think those mid pairs can survive a call all the way I will call. If not I will fold. Pick and choose your battle. The momentum of the game could be slow or slower all of a sudden so you can take a chance and call.

I personally rate those pairs higher than A2-5. If unsuited I fold those hands automatically. Not worth the headache and tough choices i'll be forced to make. If they are suited then it will depend on whether I feel frisky or not.

With a medium stack I tend to be more conservative though. But my strategy may suddenly change if I see something that tells me to be aggressive. But at best I am calling with those hands. NEVER raising.

I would never fold AA pre-flop. I have folded KKs before but it was because I wanted to stay in the tourney and drink slowly. Not a lot of money so I was there for fun and opponent 4-betted so I thought he had AA. Dude actually had A-garbage. Meh.

Yeah folding AA preflop sounds ridiculous, but I can see it happen in a tourney where you're desperate to make it ITM or you're trying to get a huge bump in money late in the tournament, where there is a guy with short stack and one of the massive stacks go all in, you may wait until that short stack is eliminated until you play a hand again.

Although it's very stupid to fold AA in any situation. I don't know it's very rare if anything. My deal with AA preflop is you got the best hand even if all 8 others players go all in and your all in as well. You still have the best chance of winning.

I'm just a poker amateur but I'll chime in

I would go big pre flop with low pairs. It's a 50/50 shot against higher two cards, like jack-ten. This way you prevent people with those hands from seeing a free or cheap flop that gives them more chances to pair up their hands

QJ statistically should be a good starting hand, but I have some superstitions about starting hands. Like KQ never worked for me, but suited 6-9 (giggity) has done well for me.

Ace with a lower card is usually a trap, especially if it's off suit. I've heard pros talk about it too. Depending on the table and the bets, I would make a standard raise to get some people out and see a flop, but not too committed to that hand

There has been cases of folding A-A pre flop in televised events. Turned out to be the right decision but I won't do it. At least not on pre flop

Thanks for that video, that's super rare to see someone do that. It's like finding a unicorn I would think.

There is no situation to fold aces preflop.

Yes, play ace trash but don't think you're married to it...

Qj suited is overrated by morons. It's a decent starting hand if there's less than maybe 6 at the table.

And medium pairs can be played anyway one wants. It's all situational but I tend to play them conservatively if I'm in with more than one person. If I'm on the button and it's folded to me I bet preflop to hopefully push the blinds out, I will likely also call a bet preflop and maybe raise if the better is loose. If you mean under the gun (first to act preflop) I'll put in a decent bet to push out the riff raff looking for a free flop. Just assess the situation and like any hand in poker, it's more important to fold when you're beat then win with a big hand in the long term...

Did you see that video posted above of that guy folding aces preflop? Unreal I must say, even though in hindsight it was correct thing to do. Weird how that works.

Yeah folding AA preflop sounds ridiculous, but I can see it happen in a tourney where you're desperate to make it ITM or you're trying to get a huge bump in money late in the tournament, where there is a guy with short stack and one of the massive stacks go all in, you may wait until that short stack is eliminated until you play a hand again.

Although it's very stupid to fold AA in any situation. I don't know it's very rare if anything. My deal with AA preflop is you got the best hand even if all 8 others players go all in and your all in as well. You still have the best chance of winning.

I mean if you find yourself in a ridiculous all-in with 8 players and you are the last to act then okay.. maybe consider. I see some merits but at the same time the gambler in me would be forced to call as well. I can't call myself a proper gambler if I fold AA pre-flop for the chance to take a massive lead for first place.

Needs more info. How many BB do I have? Am I on the bubble, past the bubble, final table? To properly answer this, it’s an ICM question. I might fold this, I might jam this, all depends on the above.

Too broad of a question. It’s like asking if a Glock 19 is powerful. Are you in a knife fight, or are you standing in front of a tank? It can be very powerful, it’s also very easy to overvalue and get yourself in trouble with if overplayed and ignoring your villains range.

Suited, and played properly, these can be incredibly profitable hands. These are typically open raise hands for me in late position, and I will also 3-bet these from the blinds at a % of time.

Yes. If I’m at final table, and there are multiple all ins, and my position in the money rises significantly just by folding. But again, this requires a ton more specific info to properly answer.

You can fold AA pre-flop when you're deep-stacked and one seat away to winning a satellite. Example: 8-handed table and 7 get seats and you're the big chip-leader.

There is no universal way to play to any hand. It’s all case-by-case. Too many variable to name...

-Tounrey, limit, PL, NL
-early, middle, late position
-pot odds, implied odd, etc.
-table image
-looseness of the table
-aggressiveness of the table
-your stack size
-profile of your opponents
-online vs brick and motar
-how you’ve been running lately

That said, if you want some generic player’s guide, they’re plenty out there. I recommend some, but the ones I read are probably outdated, and wouldn’t fit today’s super-aggressive breed of player.

Are there Mayberry online players? I play regularly on both ACR and ignition. Would be fun if we got a Mayberry only weekly private game online or something.

Needs more info. How many BB do I have? Am I on the bubble, past the bubble, final table? To properly answer this, it’s an ICM question. I might fold this, I might jam this, all depends on the above.

Say if you're in the bubble and you had that situation happen. Would you play those hands or just fold them?

Too broad of a question. It’s like asking if a Glock 19 is powerful. Are you in a knife fight, or are you standing in front of a tank? It can be very powerful, it’s also very easy to overvalue and get yourself in trouble with if overplayed and ignoring your villains range.

Let's just say that if you are low in chips and your first to play. Would you go all in with that hand QJ suited? When I play that hand in all in situation I'm concerned I'd get dominated by a KQ or behind against an A10 sometimes.

Yes. If I’m at final table, and there are multiple all ins, and my position in the money rises significantly just by folding. But again, this requires a ton more specific info to properly answer.

I agree, if there are multiple all ins and you get a significant bump in the pay scale if you fold. Than I can see folding AA, but it's so hard not to though.

It depends on what type of poker you are playing. I assume you are referring to Texas hold em which many seem to think is the only type of poker ever played.

There can be a good reason to fold 2 aces pre-flop, especially with a full table and a lot of raising.

There is no universal way to play to any hand. It’s all case-by-case. Too many variable to name...

-Tounrey, limit, PL, NL
-early, middle, late position
-pot odds, implied odd, etc.
-table image
-looseness of the table
-aggressiveness of the table
-your stack size
-profile of your opponents
-online vs brick and motar
-how you’ve been running lately

That said, if you want some generic player’s guide, they’re plenty out there. I recommend some, but the ones I read are probably outdated, and wouldn’t fit today’s super-aggressive breed of player.

This is true there are many factors that come into play. But the tournament I was implying is No Limit Holdem.

It depends on what type of poker you are playing. I assume you are referring to Texas hold em which many seem to think is the only type of poker ever played.

There can be a good reason to fold 2 aces pre-flop, especially with a full table and a lot of raising.

Yeah the tournament I was referring to is No Limit Texas Hold em.

Say if you're in the bubble and you had that situation happen. Would you play those hands or just fold them?
On the bubble, if I had more than 10bb I’m probably folding, and looking to jam another hand once the bubble pops. If I’m under maybe 7 or 8bb, I’m probably open shoving. Most are tightening up big time close to the bubble. I’m not ever really looking to min cash tourneys, so for me, this is a perfect time to step on the gas and make a move and pick up some free blinds.

Let's just say that if you are low in chips and your first to play. Would you go all in with that hand QJ suited? When I play that hand in all in situation I'm concerned I'd get dominated by a KQ or behind against an A10 sometimes.
In a MTT, QJs with 10bb or less, or QJo with 8bb or less, I’m open shoving.

I agree, if there are multiple all ins and you get a significant bump in the pay scale if you fold. Than I can see folding AA, but it's so hard not to though.
At final table, you’re focus is how to move up in the money, especially at the 5th place + where the pay jumps are huge. If you can fold, and move from 5th to 3rd and automatically make money, this is almost no brainer. But, there’s a lot of variables at play here obviously.[/quote][/QUOTE]

Back