Economy Hype technologies and their limitations

JDragon

Lawn and Order!
@Gold
Reaction score
So there are a couple of buzzword technologies that are supposedly changing our economies in a major way. And some of them have already achieved remarkable things, so they cannot be discounted right away.

But the promises some of these technologies are making are gonna be hard to fulfill.

Example 1: Blockchain

Blockchain has been the hot thing for a couple of years now, but has not delivered a lot of tangible benefits outside of crypto currencies.

Study goes looking for successful blockchain projects, finds none:

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/11/30/blockchain_study_finds_0_per_cent_success_rate/

No really, none. Not few. Not a single one.

"We found a proliferation of press releases, white papers, and persuasively written articles," Burg et al wrote on Thursday. "However, we found no documentation or evidence of the results blockchain was purported to have achieved in these claims. We also did not find lessons learned or practical insights, as are available for other technologies in development."

(...)

Blockchain vendors were keen to puff the merits of the technology, but when the three asked for proof of success in the field, it all went very quiet.

Therefore, this statement by Australia's Digital Transformation Agency is hardly surprising:

for every use of blockchain you would consider today, there is a better technology

https://www.zdnet.com/article/dta-d...-for-every-use-there-is-a-better-alternative/

Example 2: Artificial Intelligence

We've all read about the impressive feats e.g. in the area of the game Go, and many applications today have implemented some AI features already. I myself have been leading an AI project for the last couple of months and I'm quite optimistic.

But many successful applications of "AI" are actually just applications of Bayesian statistics. And when we get into the area of machine learning and deep learning, it gets a bit muddy. It seems that generally speaking, you need to expect most AI projects to fail:

https://blogs.wsj.com/cio/2017/12/1...ll-in-the-enterprise-despite-potential-panel/

For example, Monsanto's Director of Digital Partnerships said that

A 99% failure rate with a current slate of 50-plus deep-learning projects is acceptable because “that 1% is going to bring exponential gain"

So yes, AI is likely going to bring benefits, even though - and that's the key issue with AI - we won't really be able to tell why single decisions or proposals built on AI have come about. Nobody's gonna be held accountable for fuckups because it's "been the AI". These implications of AI are not discussed enough in my opinion.

Example 3: Quantum computing

Here, I'm just going to quote from a very interesting article. You can read the whole thing though, it's good:
https://spectrum.ieee.org/computing/hardware/the-case-against-quantum-computing

Quantum computing is all the rage. It seems like hardly a day goes by without some news outlet describing the extraordinary things this technology promises. Most commentators forget, or just gloss over, the fact that people have been working on quantum computing for decades—and without any practical results to show for it.

We’ve been told that quantum computers could “provide breakthroughs in many disciplines, including materials and drug discovery, the optimization of complex manmade systems, and artificial intelligence.” We’ve been assuredthat quantum computers will “forever alter our economic, industrial, academic, and societal landscape.” We’ve even been told that “the encryption that protects the world’s most sensitive data may soon be broken” by quantum computers. It has gotten to the point where many researchers in various fields of physics feel obliged to justify whatever work they are doing by claiming that it has some relevance to quantum computing. [...]

In light of all this, it’s natural to wonder: When will useful quantum computers be constructed? The most optimistic experts estimate it will take 5 to 10 years. More cautious ones predict 20 to 30 years. (Similar predictions have been voiced, by the way, for the last 20 years.) I belong to a tiny minority that answers, “Not in the foreseeable future.” Having spent decades conducting research in quantum and condensed-matter physics, I’ve developed my very pessimistic view. It’s based on an understanding of the gargantuan technical challenges that would have to be overcome to ever make quantum computing work.

[...]

To my mind, quantum computing researchers should still heed an admonition that IBM physicist Rolf Landauer made decades ago when the field heated up for the first time. He urged proponents of quantum computing to include in their publications a disclaimer along these lines: “This scheme, like all other schemes for quantum computation, relies on speculative technology, does not in its current form take into account all possible sources of noise, unreliability and manufacturing error, and probably will not work.”

My point here? Don't believe the hype just yet, at least in the case of Blockchain and Quantum computing. And be aware that AI will often not work, and if it does, and you are involved in a business context, it does not absolve you from making decisions based on analysis, experience, and common sense.

That reminds me of all the times there's a huge breakthrough that would cure cancer/AIDS/male baldness...

That reminds me of all the times there's a huge breakthrough that would cure cancer/AIDS/male baldness...

You mean the One Simple Trick to Cure Aids that Doctors Hate?

I think blockchain makes the most sense for fraud prevention and logistics. For IoT applications I don't think that there's a blockchain based technology that can be the transactional backbone.

The idea and assumption that we are living in the peak of civilization to me is a lie. We still burn shit for fuel. It’s all an illusion.

I remember having a conversation with my dentist about a new stem-cell technology which would allow a tooth to be started in the lab and then implanted in the patient's mouth where it would grow to full-size. It was going to be launched in just five years. That was probably 20 years ago.

That being said, when the 'game-changers' do hit, they tend to pop in a very short time. Smart phones were uncommon 8-10 years ago. Now they're carried by refugees from the third world.

Carbon Nano Tubes. We've heard about how great they are, but are they actually used in anything?
giphy.gif

Do you think that because you know anything ? Department of Homeland Security and Factom might disagree.

https://www.dhs.gov/science-and-tec...lease-dhs-awards-austin-based-factom-inc-192k

By IoT I specifically mean technologies that don't currently exist on any large scale yet, and I don't see how a blockchain based technology can overcome two things: 1.) the upward pressure on transaction fees 2.) transaction speed that scales inversely with network size. You can use a blockchain to secure data, that's...not a new thing, which is why I said that blockchains for fraud prevention or logistics make a lot of sense. However, can you show me a blockchain that has even processed 100 transactions per second yet?

Carbon Nano Tubes. We've heard about how great they are, but are they actually used in anything?

A group from MIT was using them to do ''one molecule'' detection of toxic substances (H2S as an example). They actually have a working detector.

So there are a couple of buzzword technologies that are supposedly changing our economies in a major way. And some of them have already achieved remarkable things, so they cannot be discounted right away.

But the promises some of these technologies are making are gonna be hard to fulfill.

Example 1: Blockchain

Blockchain has been the hot thing for a couple of years now, but has not delivered a lot of tangible benefits outside of crypto currencies.

Study goes looking for successful blockchain projects, finds none:

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/11/30/blockchain_study_finds_0_per_cent_success_rate/

No really, none. Not few. Not a single one.

"We found a proliferation of press releases, white papers, and persuasively written articles," Burg et al wrote on Thursday. "However, we found no documentation or evidence of the results blockchain was purported to have achieved in these claims. We also did not find lessons learned or practical insights, as are available for other technologies in development."

(...)

Blockchain vendors were keen to puff the merits of the technology, but when the three asked for proof of success in the field, it all went very quiet.

Therefore, this statement by Australia's Digital Transformation Agency is hardly surprising:

for every use of blockchain you would consider today, there is a better technology

https://www.zdnet.com/article/dta-d...-for-every-use-there-is-a-better-alternative/

Example 2: Artificial Intelligence

We've all read about the impressive feats e.g. in the area of the game Go, and many applications today have implemented some AI features already. I myself have been leading an AI project for the last couple of months and I'm quite optimistic.

But many successful applications of "AI" are actually just applications of Bayesian statistics. And when we get into the area of machine learning and deep learning, it gets a bit muddy. It seems that generally speaking, you need to expect most AI projects to fail:

https://blogs.wsj.com/cio/2017/12/1...ll-in-the-enterprise-despite-potential-panel/

For example, Monsanto's Director of Digital Partnerships said that

A 99% failure rate with a current slate of 50-plus deep-learning projects is acceptable because “that 1% is going to bring exponential gain"

So yes, AI is likely going to bring benefits, even though - and that's the key issue with AI - we won't really be able to tell why single decisions or proposals built on AI have come about. Nobody's gonna be held accountable for fuckups because it's "been the AI". These implications of AI are not discussed enough in my opinion.

Example 3: Quantum computing

Here, I'm just going to quote from a very interesting article. You can read the whole thing though, it's good:
https://spectrum.ieee.org/computing/hardware/the-case-against-quantum-computing

Quantum computing is all the rage. It seems like hardly a day goes by without some news outlet describing the extraordinary things this technology promises. Most commentators forget, or just gloss over, the fact that people have been working on quantum computing for decades—and without any practical results to show for it.

We’ve been told that quantum computers could “provide breakthroughs in many disciplines, including materials and drug discovery, the optimization of complex manmade systems, and artificial intelligence.” We’ve been assuredthat quantum computers will “forever alter our economic, industrial, academic, and societal landscape.” We’ve even been told that “the encryption that protects the world’s most sensitive data may soon be broken” by quantum computers. It has gotten to the point where many researchers in various fields of physics feel obliged to justify whatever work they are doing by claiming that it has some relevance to quantum computing. [...]

In light of all this, it’s natural to wonder: When will useful quantum computers be constructed? The most optimistic experts estimate it will take 5 to 10 years. More cautious ones predict 20 to 30 years. (Similar predictions have been voiced, by the way, for the last 20 years.) I belong to a tiny minority that answers, “Not in the foreseeable future.” Having spent decades conducting research in quantum and condensed-matter physics, I’ve developed my very pessimistic view. It’s based on an understanding of the gargantuan technical challenges that would have to be overcome to ever make quantum computing work.

[...]

To my mind, quantum computing researchers should still heed an admonition that IBM physicist Rolf Landauer made decades ago when the field heated up for the first time. He urged proponents of quantum computing to include in their publications a disclaimer along these lines: “This scheme, like all other schemes for quantum computation, relies on speculative technology, does not in its current form take into account all possible sources of noise, unreliability and manufacturing error, and probably will not work.”

My point here? Don't believe the hype just yet, at least in the case of Blockchain and Quantum computing. And be aware that AI will often not work, and if it does, and you are involved in a business context, it does not absolve you from making decisions based on analysis, experience, and common sense.

You are trying to make a rather simple matter complicated. You don't have to 'buy the hype' to grasp that there will be major advancements somewhere.

Our world is unrecognizable from just 150 years ago. We were still getting around on horses and trains for tuck sakes.

He is an interesting year for you. 1925. Less than a century ago. That was the first year that half of the homes in the US had electricity. Now almost all new most homes are built with outlets for a device that was not being used by the population at large late 1980's/early 1990's.

When I was 12 years old, the idea of cell phones or internet were discussed in the same manner you discussed these technologies. When cable TV came, and we went from 4 TV channels to 32, it was like someone invented fire.

giphy.gif
I don't know about carbon nano tubes, but I do know inanimate carbon rods are out there doing good work.

By IoT I specifically mean technologies that don't currently exist on any large scale yet, and I don't see how a blockchain based technology can overcome two things: 1.) the upward pressure on transaction fees 2.) transaction speed that scales inversely with network size. You can use a blockchain to secure data, that's...not a new thing, which is why I said that blockchains for fraud prevention or logistics make a lot of sense. However, can you show me a blockchain that has even processed 100 transactions per second yet?

Like arguing the internet won't work at it's infancy because of the lack of bandwidth in the current networks. Lots of blockchains can do 100 TPS+, that's been a big marketing gimmick over the past couple years for new projects, but really the blocks would be too big for the nodes to handle and would be too bloated with the current networking. In time this will be solved, if everyone had fiber level connections everywhere and running SSDs etc. it would be different. But it takes time for technology to improve.

Like arguing the internet won't work at it's infancy because of the lack of bandwidth in the current networks. Lots of blockchains can do 100 TPS+, that's been a big marketing gimmick over the past couple years for new projects, but really the blocks would be too big for the nodes to handle and would be too bloated with the current networking. In time this will be solved, if everyone had fiber level connections everywhere and running SSDs etc. it would be different. But it takes time for technology to improve.

So that'd be a no. Specifically why I mentioned the internet of things is because it's not people that will be making connections and transactions, it's things. Tens of billions of things with varying connection speeds, reliability, memory and computational resources. That's going to be the reality. What's the blockchain based solution?

So that'd be a no. Specifically why I mentioned the internet of things is because it's not people that will be making connections and transactions, it's things. Tens of billions of things with varying connection speeds, reliability, memory and computational resources. That's going to be the reality. What's the blockchain based solution?
lol yeah man the internet wasn't gonna work either until it did, and then it didn't work on cell phones, until it did.

Keep on keeping on brother. You will be right until you are wrong.

Did you read that article I linked?

You are trying to make a rather simple matter complicated. You don't have to 'buy the hype' to grasp that there will be major advancements somewhere.

Our world is unrecognizable from just 150 years ago. We were still getting around on horses and trains for tuck sakes.

He is an interesting year for you. 1925. Less than a century ago. That was the first year that half of of the homes in the US had electricity.

When I was 12 years old, the idea of cell phones or internet were discussed in the same manner you discussed these technologies. When cable TV came, and we went from 4 TV channels to 32, it was like someone invented fire.

Don't get me wrong there, I'm a fan of Schumpeter, so the fact that we continually have disruptive innovation as an essential fact of capitalism is not new to me. And smart people underestimate the power and speed of change all the time, compare Ballmer, but also:

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
Thomas Watson, president of IBM, 1943

"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home."
Ken Olsen, founder of Digital Equipment Corporation, 1977

I have like two dozens of those quotes on my work computer, will have to look those up sometime. So I accept that. But in the 1950s, people assumed there would be nuclear-powered vacuum cleaners a decade later. And flying cars were forecast for the near future already.

Also personally, yes, I still had a phone with rotary dial and I remember 56k dial-up connections very well. Once, my dad had a serious discussion with me because I had spent 67 MB in one month.

But the point is: for Blockchain, there are no viable applications yet. None. Considering that every company of a certain size has dabbled in Blockchain projects, it's pretty obvious that the hype has been sold well. And quantum computing seems all the rage, yet it rather seems a bit with them like with fusion reactors: great idea, but technically so challenging that we will likely be waiting for decades rather than years for breakthroughs.

We were supposed to have run out of IPv4 addresses like 10 years ago and switch to IPv6 and I've yet to see a company that uses IPv6.

We were supposed to have run out of IPv4 addresses like 10 years ago and switch to IPv6 and I've yet to see a company that uses IPv6.

https://www.internetsociety.org/resources/2018/state-of-ipv6-deployment-2018/

In some countries, major mobile networks are driving IPv6 adoption. In Japan (NTT – 7%, KDDI – 42% and Softbank – 34%), India (Reliance JIO – 87%) and the USA (Verizon Wireless – 84%, Sprint – 70%, T-Mobile USA – 93%, and AT&T Wireless – 57%) national mobile networks have very high levels of IPv6 deployment. Some mobile networks are taking the step to run IPv6-only to simplify network operations and reduce costs.

Back