Historic (and Future) Russian Snowstorms

Bballfan123

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Dear Russians:

Is there a way to view/ read about enormous or epic Russian Snowstorms? Western audiences have basically no clue about Russia, or the the Russian weather. Does it snow a meter routinely? Is this rare? Does it happen yearly? No one (I know) knows.

With winter coming are there any good Russian websites for viewing this info? I think this winter will have larger Snowstorms due to the warm ocean water. I am talking deep Siberian/norilsk/yakutian anywhere remote, how do you get your info about weather in Russia, I am curious. Russian websites welcome

Does it snow more in Russia, than in Canada? Who knows?

<Dany07>10/10 Thread

Here is a website with the Siberian Forcast
https://www.timeanddate.com/weather/@2016590

Not sure on snow but a quick google gave me this on that last question

Is Canada more cold than Russia?

Russia has more land area whereas Canada has more maritime exposure, so it's clear that the former has colder land areas. More than 60% of the land in Russia is permafrost. As for records, the lowest is in Russia at -71.2 degrees Celsius. The record low in Canada is -63 degrees Celsius.

Reactions: Zer
Dear Russians:

Is there a way to view/ read about enormous or epic Russian Snowstorms? Western audiences have basically no clue about Russia, or the the Russian weather. Does it snow a meter routinely? Is this rare? Does it happen yearly? No one (I know) knows.

With winter coming are there any good Russian websites for viewing this info? I think this winter will have larger Snowstorms due to the warm ocean water. I am talking deep Siberian/norilsk/yakutian anywhere remote, how do you get your info about weather in Russia, I am curious. Russian websites welcome

Does it snow more in Russia, than in Canada? Who knows?
As someone who is totally unqualified to answer this, I would say you need to differentiate per region as both are enormous countries and normalise for altitude, which is a huge marker for snow fall.
But then all else equal I think that North America has more population concentration around humid and cold areas or east of those. Which is why I think at low altitude you will find many more people living in very snowy areas in USA than in Russia, which has more people living in more arid climate like step climate. I think the triangle between say, Minnesota-Ohio- Maine is snowy AF and possibly snowier than anything you have in Russia.

longing for those good old days when a man was a man
alone skating through the woods with his raindeer herd?

Looks pretty cold to me.

a60d6bd7-3b8b-466a-b801-99959ebf4922.__CR0,0,970,600_PT0_SX970_V1___.jpg

As someone who is totally unqualified to answer this, I would say you need to differentiate per region as both are enormous countries and normalise for altitude, which is a huge marker for snow fall.
But then all else equal I think that North America has more population concentration around humid and cold areas or east of those. Which is why I think at low altitude you will find many more people living in very snowy areas in USA than in Russia, which has more people living in more arid climate like step climate. I think the triangle between say, Minnesota-Ohio- Maine is snowy AF and possibly snowier than anything you have in Russia.
that is entirely possible, most people live in moscow which gets less snow than the average city in michigan

i think it depends on the year, this year russia has already had 50+ inches of snow in the non mountains (mountains have over 10 feet)

idk if anywhere in US has a foot of snow on ground at the moment besides mountains and alaska.

minnesota is currently 50 degrees
siberia is -50 degrees
moscow is 0 degrees currently

we will see in 2 months

I think this the best thread I've read in awhile. I'm not being a wiseass, for some reason this thread is the best. And I'm in a tremendously horrible mood. I'm tempted to allow cookies, but I don't know yet. I'm gonna be here a while.

Back