Movies GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY VOL. 3 (Dragonlord's Review, post #1)

If you have seen GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY VOL. 3, how would you rate it?

• Total voters
Lol noooot. GOTG 3 is the worst of the three.

The plot doesn't make any sense. HE can create civilizations but acts like a petulant child.

The set pieces are creative but look awful. Even the music scenes suck. Sorry to those who like it.
I actually may agree. I do have to rewatch but ill wait until its on Disney.

It was ok. Not sure if I can put it above the 1st 2. The guards costume gave me a strong larry the lobster/HS production vibes.

Larry-the-Lobster-Guide.png

Nathan-Fillion-Master-Karja-Guardians-of-the-Galaxy-Vol.-3.jpg

Update: May 14, 2023

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY Vol. 3 Earns $62 Million on 2nd Weekend for an Impressive 47% Decline, Passes $500 Million Globally [Updated]

Rocket-and-Groot-in-Guardians-of-the-Galaxy-Vol.-3.jpg

James Gunn’s band of galactic rascals are proving their worth at the box office as Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 enjoyed the best second-weekend hold of any sequel in the Marvel Cinematic Universe and one of the best among MCU titles, according to Sunday domestic estimates.

From Marvel Studios and Disney, the threequel grossed an estimated $62 million from 4,450 theaters in its sophomore outing, a mere 49 percent decline and more than enough to crush the competition. In more good news, the pic crossed the $200 million mark domestically to finish Sunday with a cume of $214.7 million.

Overseas, Guardians 3 took in another $91.9 million from 52 markets for a foreign tally of $315.6 million — including a pleasing $58.4 million from China — and $530 million globally.

Marvel movies have suffered larger-than-usual drops of late, so Guardians 3 is welcome news for Kevin Feige’s Marvel Studios. That includes February 2023’s Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania, which fell off nearly 70 percent in its second weekend. In only two weeks, Guardians 3 has already rocketed past Quantumania‘s entire global total of $475.8 million.

Before Guardians 3, only five films in the 30 title-plus MCU universe have fallen 50 percent or less in their second weekends. The list is topped by Black Panther (45 percent) and followed by Thor (47 percent), Doctor Strange (49 percent), Iron Man (50 percent) and The Avengers (50 percent). The previous two Guardian movies each declined 55 percent.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/m...dians-galaxy-box-office-book-club-1235487301/

It was ok. Not sure if I can put it above the 1st 2. The guards costume gave me a strong larry the lobster/HS production vibes.

Larry-the-Lobster-Guide.png

Nathan-Fillion-Master-Karja-Guardians-of-the-Galaxy-Vol.-3.jpg

Fillion ripping that poor dude continually. Funniest part of that running gag though was the initial moment- Nathan calling him out for acting like he understood what he was describing to him when he clearly didn’t.

I had a chance to watch it again over the weekend and enjoyed it just as much the second time.
I built up some tolerance to the onions and was able to enjoy and catch some of the lighter moments and the actions scenes that I missed on the first viewing.
I thought that final group battle scene was really cool and well done.

For some of the criticisms, I don't really get where people thought the scenes were "forced". Through their own 3 movies, and IW/EG, we've got to see a lot of moments with the Guardians to really have that emotional investment into the characters. IW/EG really gave them some big moments to push the characters and plots in their own movies in a much more profound way than most of the other MCU characters.

I do agree on two of the criticisms though: Peter not having his helmet/boosters, and the whole thing about not killing.
Gunn actually does put a lot of thought into details, so the helmet was a big thing to miss out on. Right before that scene, Nebula asked Rocket to give her his radio so that she could keep in contact with KNOWHERE, and that explained why they couldn't reach Rocket later on. So it didnt make sense for him to miss such an obvious thing when its been used throughout his time on screen.

And as far as death goes..yea..they literally kill people all the time, so the running joke with Drax doesn't make sense.

I honestly thought the movie would have hit so much harder if Rocket just didn't wake up and they let him die there.
But i think this is always going to be the inherent problem with comic book movies because you can't really just kill people...and I don't know if that's a route we really want to go down where an individual director can just kill off characters never to be seen again in the MCU without some kind of convoluted story.
Still enjoyed the film a ton on the second watch.

Last edited:

The plot doesn't make any sense. HE can create civilizations but acts like a petulant child.

The set pieces are creative but look awful. Even the music scenes suck. Sorry to those who like it.

Is the Christian god much different? He throws tantrums and floods the world when humans don't give him enough attention. I think his attitude matched up just fine with the kind of person he is. A person can be a brilliant ego-maniac and also a terrible person.

Is the Christian god much different? He throws tantrums and floods the world when humans don't give him enough attention. I think his attitude matched up just fine with the kind of person he is. A person can be a brilliant ego-maniac and also a terrible person.
Is that the biblical narrative of the great flood?

No, I'm just making a quick point that being able to create civilizations doesn't mean that you're emotionally stable, mature, or a good person. Plenty of examples in the bible/religion of creators of civilization acting like children.
Yeah. Like an ant farm. You don't like the new layout so might as well start a new one than fix the old one.

Yea...that's been a common theme in comic villains since they've existed lol.

What about the plot didn't make sense though?

Yeah Old Testament sees a lot of brutal pettiness, the High Evolutionary acting like an unhinged petulant child isn't so far fetched to me because there are very few things in a very large galaxy that can actually check them and I like the idea of him not crossing paths with other threats , Thanos, Ego , etc because he can't afford to, he's psychopathic bully and knows to avoid them .

Yeah Old Testament sees a lot of brutal pettiness, the High Evolutionary acting like an unhinged petulant child isn't so far fetched to me because there are very few things in a very large galaxy that can actually check them and I like the idea of him not crossing paths with other threats , Thanos, Ego , etc because he can't afford to, he's psychopathic bully and knows to avoid them .
Yep. And even historically, people with that much power often times do act like petulant children because they have no one that can check them and bring them down a few pegs.
A guy that has enough ego to think that he can decide and create the perfect people/society and also kill them without a second thought is a guy that isn't working in the save universe of morality as the rest of us.

Yep. And even historically, people with that much power often times do act like petulant children because they have no one that can check them and bring them down a few pegs.
A guy that has enough ego to think that he can decide and create the perfect people/society and also kill them without a second thought is a guy that isn't working in the save universe of morality as the rest of us.

And , on a grands scale the fall from the Mountain/Sky for such a being will be even more epic , makes Rocket and the rest of the Guardians taking him down in the end even more satisfying, Rocket his "Child" rejecting God, Quill rejected his own father who himself was another "Ego"maniac (Heh) , Drax , Gamora and Nebula with a traumatic history caused by a Mad Titan , I really liked this as the conclusion to the MCUs best trilogy.

And , on a grands scale the fall from the Mountain/Sky for such a being will be even more epic , makes Rocket and the rest of the Guardians taking him down in the end even more satisfying, Rocket his "Child" rejecting God, Quill rejected his own father who himself was another "Ego"maniac (Heh) , Drax , Gamora and Nebula with a traumatic history caused by a Mad Titan , I really liked this as the conclusion to the MCUs best trilogy.

very satisfying conclusion. I thought there was a lot of nuance to the way that the characters’ stories played out. You could really tell how much care Gunn and the actors had for the characters. Everyone seemed all in. I understand that it’s not a perfect film and some of the people who disliked it in this thread have brought up valid criticisms, but I thought it was an awesome movie. Would probably raise my review from 8.0 to 8.5 too. Think there is an argument that it’s a top 10 or fringe top 10 MCU film.

The film also gave me more enthusiasm for next Supes movie. As far as I’m concerned, Gunn is four wins, no losses with comic book films he helmed. The Guardians trilogy was great overall and The Suicide Squad was a massive improvement over the 2016 film.

Back