Getting into pre-digital photography?

As a lover of analog photography I'd say go for it. If you have the opportunity also learn about the darkroom and printing techniques. All of this will be great fun either by yourself or with an old or new friend. There should be classes on it at a nearby community college. My treasured art is analog through and through.
And do you confirm my perception that digital tends to look "off" or fake-like?

First and last pics are amazing. First for depth and last for colour.
OK so for occasional use say once per month you would recommend analog...

Thanks! Velvia 50 is a slide film that's known for wild colours (it looks way more rich & saturated in real life compared to how it looks on a monitor). Unfortunately it's pretty unforgiving, you need to get the exposure dead on or it blows out or looks completely dead. Definitely get some practice in with something easier to use like Kodak Gold or Fuji Superia before trying out Velvia or other slide films.

And yes, I definitely recommend analog in your case.

Is there any sense into buying a good camera with analog film that you need to develop or is it hipster nonsense shit?

My goal would be to "capture unique moments in nature", like the sun setting on trees for example. As such, I do not need definition at all but it's more about capturing light and atmosphere.

I feel like modern pics tend to be "too nice" and I feel like this comes from the embedded filters in digital equipment.

But maybe I sound ridiculous and or possibly even gh3y so please educate me...

Also: paging my analog consultant @aerius who educated me alot about sound system 3 years ago. I have all your recommendations committed to memory, just waiting for my current digital sound system to die...
check out ‘Daido Moriyama’ if you haven’t already, if you’re interested in that kind of photography you’re going to really dig his work.

Yes, that's my perception. I'd add that inspired subject matter, point of view, editing, framing, lighting and soul of a great photograph can be found in analog, digital and hybrid photography. Weegee, Arbus and Frank took amazing snapshots. I remain primarily moved by those who demonstrate mastery of all facets like like Salgado and Manray. Or with your interest in nature, the work of Ansel Adams or Karl Blossfeldt. Bear in mind I'm talking about fine art photography. There's many other cool ways that photography can be used whether as a hobby or profession.

Last edited:
My goal would be to "capture unique moments in nature", like the sun setting on trees for example.
I hate to tell you this buddy... but that happens like, every single day.

good luck on the pre digital, post painting journey buddy

As someone who took photography in high school in the 90s and learned in a dark room... I say go for it. I feel like it would be a rewarding experience. Just like how it is when I listen to vinyl.

The issue is most likely that its a lot easier to edit stuff these days, either in some program or some automated camera editor.

Used to be darkroom work editing a picture was the reserved of a small number of people, now anyone can do it, the technical side is relatively easy but doing it tastefully is what takes skill.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biden's Diaper
Back