Fedor Emelianenko vs Randy Couture

It's hard to tell with Couture. He was so inconsistent. Ultimately I think Fedor's speed would be too much for him. Randy would have some early success, but get knocked out before the end of the second round.

They trained together in Los Angeles and Randy changed his tune about fighting Fedor shortly after, so the general consensus was that Fedor tooled him. There used to be pictures of the training online, but I haven't been able to find them for years.

EDIT: whoa, some of them popped up in my search for the first time in a decade

fedor-couture-grappling-3.jpg

fedor-couture-grappling-1.jpg

Fedor would have been a heavy favorite. Any match up has some unpredictability to it, but on paper everything favored Fedor.

The only things Randy really had going for him are home field advantage, and being a great underdog.

Both guys were very good strategists. Wrestling might have been 50/50 but Fedor had better grappling overall. Fedor had better striking. Both had very good gas tanks for HW. Fedor was younger, faster, stonger, heavier.

Fedor always looks lost when he fights in a cage, so there's no way he would have beaten Couture in the UFC. No fucking way. Couture would have beaten the living shit out of him.
Fedor only could have won if they fought in the Pride ring, but I'd still favor Couture if it was the case.

Fedor would have beaten him easily. Big Nog beat Randy in all aspects of MMA and Fedor had a better clinch, wrestling, striking, speed and striking power than Big Nog.

Fedor would have broken Randy. Randy was a guy that could keep surprising us, but he had nothing for Fedor. That's why Dana let Chuck go to PRIDE but not Randy. Chuck could bang with guys like Rampage or Wandy but Randy wasn't going to look good vs heavyweights. Nog, CroCop, Fedor all beat him imo

The thing we saw was the amount of damage he too trying to get in on Chuck in the 2nd and third fights is gonna be way worse fighting Fedor.

And he might not even be able to get Fedor down even if he got him to the ropes.

Randy's awesome but I think Fedor is a bad matchup for him.

Prime Fedor was a bad matchup for everyone but Randy was already close to the end at this point anyway.

Back