(( EPIC )): Don Frye vs. Ken Shamrock

Been my favorite fight since I first saw it and it's still my #1. The build-up, the staredown, the tension, the grueling battle, the leg locks, the huge punches, the split decision. Such an epic war between two legends of the sport.

I'm also always amazed at Ken's performance considering what was going on there. First, he was coming off of that disappointing loss to Fujita where he gassed and had to throw in the towel. Ken was always known for his conditioning and fought in - and won - a number of 20+ minute fights in his career. But at the time, he was going through a nasty divorce and his wife dumped the kids on him while he was supposed to be in training camp, so he fought Fujita without even having a camp for the fight. He was nowhere near fighting shape but he decided to still go out and try to take him out quick. But they didn't call Fujita "Ironhead" for nothing. After that, though, Ken was determined not to gas, so against Frye - who was a monstrously roided up 250 with his skin looking like it was about to tear open - Ken came in at a super lean 212 pounds, the lightest that he ever competed at as a HW.

Added to which, Ken's knees were gone, to the point where he literally couldn't shoot a TD. Going in against a power puncher with legit boxing and being unable to shoot a TD is insanity, which is why Ken stayed in the clinch and took that punishment to the body.

Lastly, Frye didn't technically cheat, but he gamed the system brilliantly: He knew that Ken was going to go for his feared leg locks, so inside of his wrestling shoes, he taped the fuck out of his feet to where they barely had any rotation on them, which he hoped would make it that much harder for Ken to torque a heel hook. Even so, Ken fucked Frye up so bad with those heel hooks that not only did Frye nearly fall as he limped back to his corner at the end of the first round, and not only was he in absolute agony backstage post-fight as he iced his ankles in the locker room (which footage is on the two-disc PRIDE 19 DVD), but after the fight he got addicted to painkillers and it fucked him up for a while. It's such a brutal case of winning the battle but losing the war. And that wasn't the only time that this happened. Ken also jacked up Rich Franklin pretty good with his heel hook, who even after beating Ken still ended up going to the hospital.

The kind of tough that Ken Shamrock and Don Frye were doesn't really exist in MMA anymore, but it's always a pleasure to go back through the sport's glorious history and see legit warriors throw down with absolutely no intention of quitting. This fight even has my all-time favorite commentator moment, when Bas Rutten - who'd been on the receiving end of Ken Shamrock leg locks and who knew very well how excruciating heel hooks are - is losing his mind at the end of the fight when they're trading heel hooks and just goes, "Jesus Christ, 30 seconds!"

One of the GOAT fights between two legends.

Been my favorite fight since I first saw it and it's still my #1. The build-up, the staredown, the tension, the grueling battle, the leg locks, the huge punches, the split decision. Such an epic war between two legends of the sport.

I'm also always amazed at Ken's performance considering what was going on there. First, he was coming off of that disappointing loss to Fujita where he gassed and had to throw in the towel. Ken was always known for his conditioning and fought in - and won - a number of 20+ minute fights in his career. But at the time, he was going through a nasty divorce and his wife dumped the kids on him while he was supposed to be in training camp, so he fought Fujita without even having a camp for the fight. He was nowhere near fighting shape but he decided to still go out and try to take him out quick. But they didn't call Fujita "Ironhead" for nothing. After that, though, Ken was determined not to gas, so against Frye - who was a monstrously roided up 250 with his skin looking like it was about to tear open - Ken came in at a super lean 212 pounds, the lightest that he ever competed at as a HW.

Added to which, Ken's knees were gone, to the point where he literally couldn't shoot a TD. Going in against a power puncher with legit boxing and being unable to shoot a TD is insanity, which is why Ken stayed in the clinch and took that punishment to the body.

Lastly, Frye didn't technically cheat, but he gamed the system brilliantly: He knew that Ken was going to go for his feared leg locks, so inside of his wrestling shoes, he taped the fuck out of his feet to where they barely had any rotation on them, which he hoped would make it that much harder for Ken to torque a heel hook. Even so, Ken fucked Frye up so bad with those heel hooks that not only did Frye nearly fall as he limped back to his corner at the end of the first round, and not only was he in absolute agony backstage post-fight as he iced his ankles in the locker room (which footage is on the two-disc PRIDE 19 DVD), but after the fight he got addicted to painkillers and it fucked him up for a while. It's such a brutal case of winning the battle but losing the war. And that wasn't the only time that this happened. Ken also jacked up Rich Franklin pretty good with his heel hook, who even after beating Ken still ended up going to the hospital.

The kind of tough that Ken Shamrock and Don Frye were doesn't really exist in MMA anymore, but it's always a pleasure to go back through the sport's glorious history and see legit warriors throw down with absolutely no intention of quitting. This fight even has my all-time favorite commentator moment, when Bas Rutten - who'd been on the receiving end of Ken Shamrock leg locks and who knew very well how excruciating heel hooks are - is losing his mind at the end of the fight when they're trading heel hooks and just goes, "Jesus Christ, 30 seconds!"

One of the GOAT fights between two legends.

Awesome write-up and background story!

Awesome write-up and background story!

I've also always loved how much Ken gameplanned going in, knowing that he wasn't going to be able to shoot TDs but also knowing that he needed to be on the ground. Before the fight, he's working that drop down to the leg from the clinch.

The BTS shit is all on YouTube, but for reference:

1) Here's a timestamp of Ken working that move with Guy Mezger.

2) And then here's Frye in agony after the fight.

The insane grit of Don Frye, who I know never for even one second considered it a possibility to tap, just mustaching his way through those Ken Shamrock heel hooks, enduring the pain, and still smiling and cracking jokes for a post-fight interview...legendary toughness. And that's not to discount Ken's toughness, spending so much of the fight eating those huge body shots in the clinch and surviving the brutal third round onslaught that dropped him and busted his face open, only to quickly reverse Frye and go right back to the leg locks. Nothing was going to make either one quit. Such an amazing fight precisely because you knew that they were both going in there prepared to die before they'd quit.

I was trembling with adrenaline when this fight started (back in the day). It was like having your 2 favorite teams playing each other in the superbowl...

I was trembling with adrenaline when this fight started (back in the day). It was like having your 2 favorite teams playing each other in the superbowl...

Pereira and Procházka might be similar.

Don't see either quitting.

As Bullitt68 pointed out, in the Frye x Shamrock fight, neither one was going to quit.

They both gave it all in the cage, and they both left a lot of themselves in that cage.

I love when these two stubborn bulls embrace at 25:45.

This was a very special fight. The build
-up, the prestige (these two were already living legends), and the fight itself. R 3 was amazing.

Last edited:
One of the greatest rivalries and showdowns ever ...

Great to see them as old-timers laughing about it.

How would today's 205ers handle Frye or Shamrock in their primes?

Oldy but a goody ..

U cant fake beef like this...and you cant top the sportsmanship in the end

That's what this shits about

Oldy but a goody ..

U cant fake beef like this...and you cant top the sportsmanship in the end

That's what this shits about

What's funny, is the video in the center were these warriors are accusing each other of being homos (Freddie Mercury references).

Then in the last video, after they're older, Dan Severn leads the discussion by questioning whether Ken Shamrock is "The Worlds Most Dangerous Man" ... challenging Ken to be in the same room with Dan, after he had a bowl of chili.

Don and Ken both agree, Severn, under those conditions, would probably be "the most dangerous man" ... funny, cool stuff between three dudes who were killers in the cage.

The kind of tough that Ken Shamrock and Don Frye were doesn't really exist in MMA anymore, but it's always a pleasure to go back through the sport's glorious history and see legit warriors throw down with absolutely no intention of quitting.
Beautifully said. These days we watch professional martial artists, back in the day we watched warriors.

One of the greatest rivalries and showdowns ever ...
How would today's 205ers handle Frye or Shamrock in their primes?
By the time of Pride 17, both were relegated to the Freak Sideshow side. The serious 203 Pride fighters of the time were Wandy, Page, Hendo, Arona, Reem, Randleman, Ninja, Lil Nog...

Well, "relegated" or "sideshow" are probably the wrong words since Frye was the most popular gaijin pro-wrestler in Japan at the time, and Ken a legend of UWF, PWFG and Pancrase. They put tons on people in seats in Saitama and sold tons of PPVs, paying for the serious fights.

Ken held his own pretty well against Tito after that in UFC 42 Vendetta, and managed not to piss hot. Respect for both feats. But Vendetta was just a crafty manouver from Tito to avoid Chuck, the real contender.

We never get to see either man's potential primes. Who knows what they could've acheived if they were 10-15 years younger and could join serious camps. USADA wouldn't been kind with either though.

Last edited:
What's funny, is the video in the center were these warriors are accusing each other of being homos (Freddie Mercury references).

Then in the last video, after they're older, Dan Severn leads the discussion by questioning whether Ken Shamrock is "The Worlds Most Dangerous Man" ... challenging Ken to be in the same room with Dan, after he had a bowl of chili.

Don and Ken both agree, Severn, under those conditions, would probably be "the most dangerous man" ... funny, cool stuff between three dudes who were killers in the cage.

All 3 are different breeds in comparison to the newer stock coming up...

To give people an idea of how tough Ken Shamrock was, he fought Tito Ortiz at 42 in their last fight, and he fought Kimbo Slice at 51 — and almost finished him.

It's not Shamrock or Frye, but in a related vein, there's a great documentary on the Chute Boxe/Brazilian Top Team rivalry and you see much the same thing. Back in the days of their rivalry, they were young, hungry lions full of testosterone looking to beat the fuck out of each other, but now, they're old, chill dudes always smiling and laughing. They were in the trenches together, and while they may have been enemies at one time, they are now all friends and they all share that crazy bond.

My favorite part (at 23:45 in the above vid) is when Wanderlei talks about running into Arona on a beach in Brazil and just shooting the shit with him. Chute Boxe and BTT literally had to have different plans and buses during PRIDE shows because they'd want to fucking fight if they saw one another, but now they're just two guys :D

By the time of Pride 17, both were relegated to the Freak Sideshow side. The serious 203 Pride fighters of the time were Wandy, Page, Hendo, Arona, Reem, Randleman, Ninja, Lil Nog...

Well, "relegated" or "sideshow" are probably the wrong words since Frye was the most popular gaijin pro-wrestler in Japan at the time, and Ken a legend of UWF, PWFG and Pancrase. They put tons on people in seats in Saitama and sold tons of PPVs, paying for the serious fights.

Ken held his own pretty well against Tito after that in UFC 42 Vendetta, and managed not to piss hot. Respect for both feats. But Vendetta was just a crafty manouver from Tito to avoid Chuck, the real contender.

We never get to see either man's potential primes. Who knows what they could've acheived if they were 10-15 years younger and could join serious camps. USADA wouldn't been kind with either though.

A few points worth mentioning. First, Ken's first fight against Tito was UFC 40, not UFC 42. Second, the Lion's Den wasn't just a "serious camp," it was the first serious camp, and it produced a bunch of early champs. Third, I'm not sure why you're bringing up the PRIDE MW division - nor am I sure what "203" means - when both Ken and Frye fought at HW.

Back