Dumb things people do to their houses

Build it with no overhang, worst thing you can do.

Are you saying overhangs are bad or building without an overhang is bad? I've been building houses for 25 years and not having an overhang is a bad idea.

To the question of the thread cantilevers aren't the greatest idea. Breaking the envelope of the building will almost always lead to issues down the line.

Tons of political signs or flags in the yard

^This

My neighbor across the street does this shit. He had a Hillary ‘I’m with her’ sign up a few years back and tons of other shit as well.. then there’s people with those dumb big ass ‘Trump’ flags too.. nothing sillier to me than advertising your politics like it’s your favorite sports team. Fuck off with that crap.

Smartest thing I've ever done was getting rid of all the plants and trees on my properties. You get rid of bugs, animals, leaves, and clear up all the stuff that grows in cool shaded areas.

Same. For one, I prefer a cleaner look but also didn’t want to deal with all the pests and maintenance that comes with it.

We strategically replanted our own stuff afterwards and it looks great and is easy to deal with.

Off topic.. people in here bitching about lawns is odd to me. I dig having a nice lawn, I actually look forward to being outside and working on it once a week. It also give me a chance to do a weekly walk around of my house to make sure there’s no issues. It’s kind of relaxing to me.

Are you saying overhangs are bad or building without an overhang is bad? I've been building houses for 25 years and not having an overhang is a bad idea.

To the question of the thread cantilevers aren't the greatest idea. Breaking the envelope of the building will almost always lead to issues down the line.
No overhang is a bad idea, it protects the house. I made alot of money repairing windows and siding that were rotted all to hell because all they had was a frost board on the gabel and about six inches of overhang everywhere else.

This new trend of "open concept" has gone overboard. The entire first floor is all open. TV heard in all areas, eat in the same room people are sitting in.....its too open. Also LED lights are too harsh and bright.

This new trend of "open concept" has gone overboard. The entire first floor is all open. TV heard in all areas, eat in the same room people are sitting in.....its too open. Also LED lights are too harsh and bright.
Install a rotary dimmer switch

Then they have hard floors in every room with no rugs so sounds just gets echoed everywhere. This is a problem with alot of restaraunts now too. they pot in hard floor hard walls and it's results in a cacophony. I miss the old school supper clubs with carpet and wall hangings where the noise is just a low murmur.

I work for a pretty large builder, they spend 100's of thousands of dollars on R&D and millions to build display homes using talented Designers,coming up with a ranges of well designed houses to suit different budgets. Client goes into said display homes, falls in love with a particular design then proceeds to add their personalised changes , with the originl design looking nothing like the one they changed and now complete dogshit.
On another general note, someone bragging that they have designed their house themselves, me looking around thinking ' boy it looks like it too... congrats on your polished turd.'

Last edited:
I work for a pretty large builder, they spend 100's of thousands of dollars on R&D and millions to build display homes using talented Designers,coming up with a ranges of well designed houses to suit different budgets. Client goes into said display homes, falls in love with a particular design then proceeds to add their personalised changes , with the originl design looking nothing like the one they changed and now complete dogshit.
On another general note, someone bragging that they have designed their house themselves looking around thinking ' boy it looks like it too... congrats on your polished turd.'
LOL. I will look and see if I still have a pic of this house. Guy designed it himself. My cousin had me help him rough it out. He bid the job planning to rough it out in the summer but didnt break ground till October. I forget what year it was, maybe 2008-09?. I just rememember it was the second most amount of snow ever dropped ina Wisconsin winter. Shoveling a foot of snow off the bunks of wood every morning was fun. So the back half of the house was formed concrete front half was was 2x12 walls, windows sill frames were 4 2x12's. Ridge beam was a steel I beam. it was kind of an a frame so the rafters were 36' TGI. Problem was the poured walls were a half inch out of square in 30' and the genius ironworkers set the beam a half inch out IN THE OTHER DIRECTION. Cutting the rafters was fun. After we got the roof decking on the roofers showed up, snow raked the decking then didn't show up to actually shingle the place till spring. So when they snow raked it it left 4' snow drifts around the entire perimeter of the house... lot being so skinny that meant the fork truck couldnt get to the back of the property... where we still had to rough out the garage and all the lumber was dropped in front of the house. There is alot more idiocy that went on but I feel like I've ranted enough for the time being.

TLDR: Dude never moved into the house because he hated it so much when it was done and never paid my cousin. Luckily I got paid.

Same. For one, I prefer a cleaner look but also didn’t want to deal with all the pests and maintenance that comes with it.

We strategically replanted our own stuff afterwards and it looks great and is easy to deal with.

Off topic.. people in here bitching about lawns is odd to me. I dig having a nice lawn, I actually look forward to being outside and working on it once a week. It also give me a chance to do a weekly walk around of my house to make sure there’s no issues. It’s kind of relaxing to me.
Did we just become best friends!? I’m the exact same. My lawn is perfect and yea it gives me an opportunity to always be looking for issues with my house.

Back