• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Dragonlance authors sue Dungeons & Dragons publisher Wizards of The Coast

Lord Coke

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Interesting I had no idea these two were even still writing. I would like to get a chance to read this since I read these novels as a child so I hope it gets resolved.

https://www.polygon.com/2020/10/19/...fe452XWG1aMogN6GpHzWYXjF1FepdkD5FnIzT6BeN1sIY

A new trilogy was in the works and now it’s caught in court

By Charlie Hall@Charlie_L_Hall Oct 19, 2020, 5:00pm EDTShare this on Facebook (opens in new window)
dragonlance_2.0.jpg

Reprinted editions of the Dragonlance Chronicles, with cover art by Matt Stawicki.
Photo: Charlie Hall/Polygon
Authors Tracy Hickman and Margaret Weis are suing Dungeons & Dragons publisher Wizards of the Coast for breach of contract. According to court documents, the pair were working on a new trilogy of novels set in the Dragonlance universe, and at least one manuscript had received approval when the publisher pulled the plug on the project.

Hickman and Weis are seeking damages in excess of $10 million.

The Dragonlance Chronicles began at D&D’s original publisher TSR in the 1980s. The novelization kicked off in 1984 with the publication of Dragons of Autumn Twilight, and the original trilogy was rounded out with Dragons of Winter Night and Dragons of Spring Dawning. The action takes place in the high-fantasy world of Krynn, and stars characters such as Tanis Half-Elven, Raistlin, Flint Fireforge, and Goldmoon. The franchise also included numerous tabletop role-playing adventures that were designed and published contemporaneously.

According to documents filed in a United States District Court on Oct. 16, Hickman and Weis allege that in 2017 they were approached by Wizards to write a new series of novels. A licensing agreement was negotiated by both parties. There was also an additional publishing agreement with Del Rey Books, an imprint of Random House Publishing Group. One complete manuscript, titled Dragons of Deceit, was completed and approved while the draft for a second book — provisionally titled Dragons of Fate — was also completed.

The complaint alleges that the project was going well until early 2020, when Wizards was embroiled in a series of serious public relations issues with its two marquee franchises — Dungeons & Dragons and Magic: The Gathering — as well as a high-profile claim of workplace hostility. From the lawsuit:

As Plaintiff-Creators subsequently learned, Defendant’s arbitrary decision to terminate the License Agreement — and thereby the book publishing contract — was based on events that had nothing to do with either the Work or Plaintiff-Creators. In fact, at nearly the exact point in time of the termination, Defendant was embroiled in a series of embarrassing public disputes whereby its non-Dragonlance publications were excoriated for racism and sexism. Moreover, the company itself was vilified by well-publicized allegations of misogyny and racist hiring and employment practices by and with respect to artists and employees unrelated to Dragonlance. Plaintiff-Creators are informed and believe, and based thereon allege, that a decision was made jointly by Defendant and its parent company, Hasbro, Inc., to deflect any possible criticism or further public outcry regarding Defendant’s other properties by effectively killing the Dragonlance deal with Plaintiff-Creators. The upshot of that was to inflict knowing, malicious and oppressive harm to Plaintiff-Creators and to interfere with their third party contractual obligations, all to Plaintiff-Creator’s severe detriment and distress.

After multiple alterations and rewrites of the first book in the series were ordered and completed, on Aug. 13 Wizards informed the authors that it would not be approving any more drafts. That decision, Hickman and Weis say, effectively terminated the project.

“When challenged about the grounds for such termination,” the lawsuit states that Wizards’ legal representative, “responded with the nonsensical statement, ‘We are not moving toward breach, but we will not approve any further drafts.’”

Wizards’ refusal to continue approving content related to the Dragonlance license has effectively prevented Hickman and Weis from publishing their work, short circuited any effort to “mitigate or modify their storylines,” and prevented them from collecting on their “guaranteed advance [...] royalties, [and] incentive payments” with Random House.

As a result, Hickman and Weis claim, years of hard work — including story concepts and outlines previously approved — are now locked away from public view. Reached for comment, Wizards of the Coast said through a representative that it does not comment on pending litigation.

Margaret Weis, LLC and Tracy Hickman v. Wizards of The Coast LLC by Polygondotcom on Scribd

Update (Oct. 20): Polygon reached out to legal representatives of Hickman and Weis, who declined to comment further. “The matter is currently being handled through the judicial process,” wrote Josiah Prendergast of the law firm Weintraub Tobin.

hope they win for the sake of their early work.......

the first 6 books they wrote for dragonlance ((chronicles and twins series)) were amazing ....

some of the solo books were good backgrounds but they ended up beating a dead horse as it went into the children of the original companions...

some of the best fiction written, IMO and it spawned so many good memorable characters

I've played D&D since 2nd edition and always through dragonlance was the best universe.

Loved the first 3 books as a kid.

One look at the article about D and D being racist

"Among these races are the orcs, who are often characterized as a savage horde of creatures who lust for battle, and the drow, an evil dark-skinned subrace of elves who dwell in a subterranean matriarchy."

Sorry, if you see orcs and THINK OH THOSE ARE REALLY BLACK PEOPLE... YOU ARE THE FUCKING RACIST

Second, having black skin =/= being a black human. A drow is a black skinned elf...black because they live in underground and are badass.

D&D is not racist and damn these SJW fuck faces are the worst people.

Then again, I have not touched DnD since TSR no longer owned it. Gary Gygax bless!

I've played D&D since 2nd edition .
Me too. I played in High School, until girl friends pre-empted that. Adult life followed suit, I dabbled during my first marriage, really picked up with regular games after my divorce, and have only played once (twice?) since I re-married 18 years ago.
I hope they resolve the issue, Tracy Hickman and Margaret Weis are good at their craft and deserve recompense.

Me too. I played in High School, until girl friends pre-empted that. Adult life followed suit, I dabbled during my first marriage, really picked up with regular games after my divorce, and have only played once (twice?) since I re-married 18 years ago.
I hope they resolve the issue, Tracy Hickman and Margaret Weis are good at their craft and deserve recompense.

I've been trying to find an online game during covid but with little luck. My local game stores are not offering them.

"Among these races are the orcs, who are often characterized as a savage horde of creatures who lust for battle, and the drow, an evil dark-skinned subrace of elves who dwell in a subterranean matriarchy."

Sorry, if you see orcs and THINK OH THOSE ARE REALLY BLACK PEOPLE... YOU ARE THE FUCKING RACIST

Second, having black skin =/= being a black human. A drow is a black skinned elf...black because they live in underground and are badass.

Then again, I have not touched DnD since TSR no longer owned it. Gary Gygax bless!
All these points are old. Tolkien's work, which obviously greatly influenced D & D and Dragonlance, was accused of the same. Really verbatim, like cut & paste. Nothing can be simple and fun.

Yeah, I had signed up at a local shop for short, encounter-based sessions just before everything went boobies-up. Never made it to one.

hope they win for the sake of their early work.......

the first 6 books they wrote for dragonlance ((chronicles and twins series)) were amazing ....

some of the solo books were good backgrounds but they ended up beating a dead horse as it went into the children of the original companions...

some of the best fiction written, IMO and it spawned so many good memorable characters

Raistlin Bless

Hasbro has made so much money with their property Wizards and its vehicle Magic, specifically this last twelve months that they can settle this with no issue i presume...

Unfortunately those voices have won.

https://www.polygon.com/2020/6/23/2...izards-of-the-coast-drow-orcs-curse-of-strahd

Dungeons & Dragons publisher Wizards of the Coast has acknowledged the existence of racist stereotypes in its sourcebooks, and pledged to make changes to ameliorate the issue.

In a blog post published on June 17 titled “Diversity and Dungeons & Dragons,” Wizards of the Coast said that depicting a diverse array of human beings — beyond “fantasy versions of northern Europeans” — is “one of the explicit design goals of 5th edition D&D.” The developers noted that while they want to feature characters “who represent an array of ethnicities, gender identities, sexual orientations, and beliefs,” the game still contains problematic depictions of fantasy races.

Among these races are the orcs, who are often characterized as a savage horde of creatures who lust for battle, and the drow, an evil dark-skinned subrace of elves who dwell in a subterranean matriarchy. Wizards of the Coast specifically addressed these two groups in laying out recent and future changes to D&D products:

We present orcs and drow in a new light in two of our most recent books, Eberron: Rising from the Last War and Explorer’s Guide to Wildemount. In those books, orcs and drow are just as morally and culturally complex as other peoples. We will continue that approach in future books, portraying all the peoples of D&D in relatable ways and making it clear that they are as free as humans to decide who they are and what they do. [...]

Later this year, we will release a product (not yet announced) that offers a way for a player to customize their character’s origin, including the option to change the ability score increases that come from being an elf, a dwarf, or one of D&D’s many other playable folk. This option emphasizes that each person in the game is an individual with capabilities all their own.

Wizards of the Coast also said it’s adjusting material that maligns or stereotypes real-world ethnic groups like the Roma. The company has revised the adventure Curse of Strahd, which includes a people known as the Vistani that “echoes some stereotypes associated with the Romani people in the real world.” In addition, the publisher said two future books will be written with a Romani consultant so as to characterize the Vistani “in a way that doesn’t rely on reductive tropes.”

Curse of Strahd was one of two adventures, the other being Tomb of Annihilation, in which the company changed “racially insensitive” text in recent reprintings. “We will continue this process, reviewing each book as it comes up for a reprint and fixing such errors where they are present,” said Wizards of the Coast.

Wizards of the Coast concluded by stating that it will work with a variety of “sensitivity readers” on future content and continue relying on “experts in various fields to help us identify our blind spots.” The publisher added that it is “seeking new, diverse talent to join our staff and our pool of freelance writers and artists.”

Last edited:
Whats the dice roll odds that he wins? The loot amount he is seeking is not that much

It'd be so un-2020 to see a court case turn into a larping session.

"Judge Casts Everyone sits........Ooh Judge Rolled a One!"

"The defense casts......firebolt!!! Pew pew!!!!"

Back