Does a cage (vs. having a ring/rope) give certain styles of fighting an advantage over others?

FrankDux

Sherdog Resident Shookologist
@Brown
Reaction score
Or does it really not matter in the scope of MMA/fighting?

No 619's in a cage

tenor.gif

Different training, different methodics.

Cutting an opponent in the ring =/= the same thing in the cage.
No corner in the cage to trap an opponent into.

Wrestling appproach changes as well - some chain wrestling requires cage, some wrestling defenders prefer it as well.

One thing that surely is impossible in the ring - wall 'n' stall

A square ring is better for strikers because they can cut angles off easier. A cage helps wrestlers because they can hold guys against it way easier. A moat filled with alligators is the most fair scenario I can think of.

It gives MMA Fighters an advantage over Sherdoggers. We only fight in the Street.

Holding fighters against the wall or using the wall as a weapon to escape takedowns. its obviously a weapon.

it depends some says the octagon favor the grappler and not the striker, but at the origin, the cage helped the strikers to get up more easily, helped by the cage, so it really depend.

Wether it is octagon or the ring, the fighters always adapts...

What wrasslers?

The phrase "Lay and pray" was born in Pride.

I think Hughes v Sakurai is a good example of how. Sakurai got trapped on the ground against the fence multiple times. Having come over from Shooto, he wasn't experienced enough to deal with the positions there. No rope resets.

I think Hughes v Sakurai is a good example of how. Sakurai got trapped on the ground against the fence multiple times. Having come over from Shooto, he wasn't experienced enough to deal with the positions there. No rope resets.

It doesn't show that there aren't enough succssfful MMA wrestlers in the ring.

I think that the best fighters learn to use the cage to their advantage. Not really based on one style or another IMO

Cage: wrestler benefit due to less give on takedowns
Ring: strikers benefit from cutting angles better and more often

Edit: since it seems to be a topic of conversation here, I think Rogans idea of a basketball court sized area being used. There’s an out of bounds line that, if crossed, means the fight is restarted, standing up, in the center

A square ring is better for strikers because they can cut angles off easier. A cage helps wrestlers because they can hold guys against it way easier. A moat filled with alligators is the most fair scenario I can think of.
As long as it’s square

I'm curious to think how guys like Khabib, Gregor etc. would do in a ring similar to Pride? It really makes you appreciate what guys like Fedor did in Pride with no cage-wall.

A moat with alligators would give Jacare an unfair advantage while handicapping snakes like TJ.

Of course. What a silly question.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JackM33
Back