Defence

deadscou5

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Hey I've boxed since my father took me to a gym very frequently in the grand scheme of things but I've recently been lucky enough to have a son myself
So I obviously want my boy to box when he's old enough has anyone got tips on how to teach him defensive boxing like Floyd or andre ward I try to roll and hold my elbows high but I just can't get the grasp
I'd love to be able to teach me boy that style but I can't get to grips with it myself are ther ant simple tips or tricks to it you lads know?

No simple tricks or tips, you have to get him to someone educated in that style, and I don't mean the thousand or so "Mitt-men" who will just bang on his shoulders and elbows as if they're teaching it.

No simple tricks or tips, you have to get him to someone educated in that style, and I don't mean the thousand or so "Mitt-men" who will just bang on his shoulders and elbows as if they're teaching it.
Exactly mate that's all I've had my life pay £20 a month for some personal trainer to slap mits of my hands so it sounds good ,
Just want my boy to actually learn the basics , there are a couple of good boxing gyms in Liverpool but they are all so overcrowded they get threw in to spar and encouraged to windmill because the trainers are over ran
If there any YouTube tutorials for kids or best way to teach the basics basically

Exactly mate that's all I've had my life pay £20 a month for some personal trainer to slap mits of my hands so it sounds good ,
Just want my boy to actually learn the basics , there are a couple of good boxing gyms in Liverpool but they are all so overcrowded they get threw in to spar and encouraged to windmill because the trainers are over ran
If there any YouTube tutorials for kids or best way to teach the basics basically

Unfortunately there's not. The ability to teach that style isnt perpetuated by anyone who would post it on YouTube. I can do it, but virtually is pretty impossible with that system.

Maybe he won't like fighting. You can try.

Generally any good gym would be the best bett imo, regardless of style

It's difficult, it's a system that works a particular way that contradicts other systems in some ways, so you either plan on using the system properly or you're better off not using it at all, can't switch between hands up peek a boo style boxing and the crab/Mayweathers system unless you're really really experienced. The system has an answer to every problem that needs to be utilized and used against any problem that arises. Years of drilling it properly , which can only be done under the watchful eye of someone who knows how it's done properly to ensure no bad habits is the only sure way to teach a fighter something that will give them an advantage instead of something that will compromise them because it emulates it. Emulating the Mayweather defense = getting knocked out by the right hand because you have your lead hand down against most people's power hand. You can't risk an error when the risk involves getting caught clean on the chin by your opponents power hand. One punch is all it takes.

When I boxed with people who emulated the shoulder roll without proper training in it, lead right hands all day until they put their hands up and get beat up in something they are uncomfortable in cuz they spent so much time getting comfortable doing something wrong.

Like for real it's difficult, it took me years to be able to actually defend confidently with it and even once you can roll a decent fighters shots, start adding someone who's fast to the mix and it becomes a gamble on whether or not that right hand clips your chin or you're in proper position with proper reaction time to roll it off and adequately punish for it.

It's not for everybody that's for sure.

Back