Chandler will likely never fight for the title but

LoveSherdogThisTime

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
I think he has the best chance of beating Islam in the top 10. Not saying he will.

I know he was beaten by Poirier, Gaethje and Oliveira. But I'd still argue that he has a better chance of finishing Islam than any of them.

He's not wrong when he says, the kryptonite to beating Islam is getting him into a dogfight. It was evident earlier in his career when he was the one moving forward initiating the striking exchanges, he became exponentially vulnerable. Throwing combinations is not Islam's forte.

But the problem is it's easier said than done because Islam's defensive striking is just too good nowadays. He no longer deviates from his game plan. His footwork prevents him from getting into any of these brawls.

We already saw Islam shut Oliveira down. I always thought Oliveira was more diverse and more technically polished than Poirier. I think Poirier would have the least success in the striking.

Then you have the explosive guys like Chandler and Gaethje who can blitz in and out. I think unless you have the wrestling to threaten Islam back, these type of fighters are going to have the most success. I don't know if Gaethje can do it but I wouldn't be surprised if Chandler can get in Islam's face before his feet can adjust. On top of that, Chandler is arguably the hardest hitter in the division and has shown that he is quicker than Gaethje. He has better wrestling too.

All this talk of cardio is pointless. I would be intrigued to see if Chandler can finish Islam in the first round or not. After that? Who cares? Islam will probably get him.

Vartanyan is probably the biggest threat to Islam if they sign him imo, really good striking, really good TDD and insane get ups and separations if he does get taken down.

Vartanyan is probably the biggest threat to Islam if they sign him imo, really good striking, really good TDD and insane get ups and separations if he does get taken down.

He also trains with the Russian Olympic team in wrestling, with Jora a Sambo world champ and Arman Tsarukyan. Eduards beaten quite a few of the better Dagestanis in both MMA and Sambo. Same age as Islam basically, not too undersized. Has the pressure and conditioning ontop of what you mentioned to give Makhachev serious issues too.

I completely agree with you, TS. Ironically, that same JBG game plan that he’d need to utilize against Islam is precisely what has precluded him from getting the title shot. He has the skillset and grappling acumen to methodically decision Oliveira, Poirier and Gaethje but he’s JBG to the bitter end.

I agree. He has the grappling skill to negate Islam enough to not worry about it and he has the more powerful striking

I could see Chandler KOing Islam

He makes a much better stylistic challenge than Poirier/Gaethje but the guy is 37 and just took a year off... he needs to get off his ass because the clock is ticking on his career

He is in mcgregors basement dressed in a gimp outfit chained up right now

He isn't in a position to fight anyone, while he begs his master for scraps

Back