Butter or Margarine

b35e0e4501506de64c47b7d49a9deb66.jpg

margarine has a place in baking. typically, baked goods that are to be consumed at ~room temp or colder taste more moist with more oil rather than fat, and sometimes, i.e. making a cinnamon roll, its easier to work with a semi-solid form of oil, i.e. margarine, than pure liquid oil.

of course, many people, myself included, love the taste of butter. it is important to note that unless you're buying fermented butter, i.e. whats often labeled as european style on US shelves, basically 100% of that "butter" taste is added in from exogenous sources in the form of diacetyl. the vast majority of butter sold basically undergoes no significant fermentation and tastes butterless without that addition.

so really, what most of us love isn't really butter, but diacetyl extracted from bulk, non-dairy fermentation.

Butter has a higher viscosity. Oh, for cooking. Butter.

margarine has a place in baking. typically, baked goods that are to be consumed at ~room temp or colder taste more moist with more oil rather than fat, and sometimes, i.e. making a cinnamon roll, its easier to work with a semi-solid form of oil, i.e. margarine, than pure liquid oil.

of course, many people, myself included, love the taste of butter. it is important to note that unless you're buying fermented butter, i.e. whats often labeled as european style on US shelves, basically 100% of that "butter" taste is added in from exogenous sources in the form of diacetyl. the vast majority of butter sold basically undergoes no significant fermentation and tastes butterless without that addition.

so really, what most of us love isn't really butter, but diacetyl extracted from bulk, non-dairy fermentation.
nerd-alert-bumper.gif

Eat butter, fuck margarine.

I use goat butter. Or mayonnaise!

Back