• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Book smarts or street smarts - Which is more important?

Which is more important?

• Total voters

Takes Two To Tango

The one who doesn't fall, doesn't stand up.
Platinum Member
Reaction score
If I had to pick street smarts is more essential to survive in this world. But that's just my opinion.

How about you guys?

Cover.jpg

88b8355fd948daef203899ba18fd6cce.jpg

Last edited:
Book smarts imo

As adult your life generally revolves around study work and home and hobbies. Not street stuff unless you work in such enviroment

was a thread here once asking about fights and most had been in one or none at all as adult which would imply street stuff really not being needed.

Are all forms of smart contained within these two categories? For example, would working well with animals fall under “street” or “book” smarts ? To be honest this comes off to me as a false dichotomy that doesn’t even cover all the bases right off the bat but I don’t want to poop on the party (unless I already did).

Are all forms of smart contained within these two categories? For example, would working well with animals fall under “street” or “book” smarts ? To be honest this comes off to me as a false dichotomy that doesn’t even cover all the bases right off the bat but I don’t want to poop on the party (unless I already did).

It's just a comparison between these two categories. Just for fun, see what people think is more important I guess. lol

Both are important in my opinion, but forced to pick I said streets smarts because reading people and having practical senses about the world around you are things you can’t really teach easily.

To me, street smart has always meant not being a sucker or an easy mark and being a good judge of character.
Book smart is self explanatory.

Honestly, you can be successful in this world being all of one and none of the other but a combination of the two is ideal.

Neither matter that much without common sense.

Both are important in my opinion, but forced to pick I said streets smarts because reading people and having practical senses about the world around you are things you can’t really teach easily.

I work in a field where Ph.Ds., M.Ds., and M.D./Ph.Ds are common While there is no denying their intelligence the areas they many seem somewhat deficient in are common sense and people reading skills. It is almost like to get to the top of their field they have had to cram their brains with so much book smarts that there is no more room for others forms of 'smarts".

An inability to respond well to crisis or a change of plans or working well with others is a bit more common than in the outside world. This is just my observations and not meant to be demeaning critique because in the realm of insightful questions and higher level postulations they run circles around me

If I had to pick street smarts is more essential to survive in this world. But that's just my opinion.

How about you guys?

Cover.jpg

88b8355fd948daef203899ba18fd6cce.jpg

both maybe? Are the rotting carcasses in government like mitch pelosi and nancy mcconnell street smart or book smart? Neither id say and they are still in a powerful position.

Say if the world went to shits and there was a nuclear holocaust. And there only a few millions of us around the world still alive to survive in these ruins. I doubt you need to be great in book smarts in that type of scenario.

Back