Movies BLADE (Paused Due to Writers Strike, post #300)

Update: July 19, 2021

Mogul Mowgli's Bassam Tariq in Early Talks to Direct Marvel Studios' BLADE Starring Mahershala Ali

VCmKlVd.jpg

Marvel Studios’ Blade, centered on its vampire slayer character, is zeroing in on a director. Bassam Tariq is in early talks helm the feature project, capping off a search that began in fall 2020. Tariq is known for directing the rap drama Mogul Mowgli, which he also co-wrote with star Riz Ahmed. Marvel declined to comment.

Two-time Oscar winner Mahershala Ali is playing Blade, a half-human, half-vampire who stalks the night to hunt down vampires. Marvel boss Kevin Feige revealed the casting of Ali at San Diego Comic-Con in July 2019, with the executive noting the actor informed Marvel he’d like to play the character after he won his second Oscar, for Greenbook.

Despite the early star attachment, it was only halfway through 2020 that Marvel really began sharpening the stakes in the search for its creative team. The studio spent months meticulously searching for the right scribe, only this February landing on Watchmen’s Stacy Osei-Kuffour, who became Marvel’s first Black female writer in the process.

Blade debuted in 1973’s Tomb of Dracula No. 10. He was created by Marv Wolfman and Gene Colan, and went on to be played by Wesley Snipes in three films made by New Line Cinema from 1998-2004. Stephen Norrington, Guillermo del Toro, and Goyer respectively directed the trio.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/m...el-blade-movie-director-bassam-tariq-4143850/
They’re just now getting a director?! Why is this taking so long, I assume it was already in full production

Because it doesn’t matter who directs. The MCU is essentially a long running theatrical TV show where the showrunner is top dog, enter Kevin Feige the showrunner/Producer of the MCU. Behind him are his other producers like that chick Alonso and the little Italian guy Esposito (I think). All the writers are in house too, as are most of the premises which are sourced from Marvel comics’ humongous back catalogue.

Outside writers and directors are given very little creative freedom. Outside writers get more liberty because you still need someone to write character work (interesting dialogue. funny jokes. dramatic beats). Directors only direct the actors. All the action is created and storyboarded by Marvels in-house team and directed by there hand picked second unit.

This blade dude, Chloe Zhao, and practically every other MCU Director since Whedon basically have no say in what makes it in-screen. Sheeet— as far as I’m aware Feige doesn’t even let them in the editing room

They’re just now getting a director?! Why is this taking so long, I assume it was already in full production
Because, if I'm not mistaken, they announced Ali as Blade because he asked Feige to cast him as Blade after winning or being nominated for the Oscar. Oh, it's actually in the article.
Wikipedia says that Blade is gonna be a part of future MCU Phase and if I'm not mistaken we still do not know full schedule for Phase 4 (which movies and TV shows is a part of it and when it ends). Also, for example, Wikipedia says that Fantastic Four movie is gonna be a part of Phase 4 and we still don't have release date or any other news aside from name of director.

It’s a stupid decision.

Interest in MCU fading fast
I'm pretty sure I've seen speculation based on casting grids (or how do you call them?) that daughter of Blade is gonna be introduced in first movie so he probably is not gonna be a face of franchise.

idk why people are losing it over Mahershali being 47 years old when he looks like he could easily be 35. he’s clearly a vampire, so he’s perfect for the role.

Update: July 19, 2021

Mogul Mowgli's Bassam Tariq in Early Talks to Direct Marvel Studios' BLADE Starring Mahershala Ali

VCmKlVd.jpg

Marvel Studios’ Blade, centered on its vampire slayer character, is zeroing in on a director. Bassam Tariq is in early talks helm the feature project, capping off a search that began in fall 2020. Tariq is known for directing the rap drama Mogul Mowgli, which he also co-wrote with star Riz Ahmed. Marvel declined to comment.

Two-time Oscar winner Mahershala Ali is playing Blade, a half-human, half-vampire who stalks the night to hunt down vampires. Marvel boss Kevin Feige revealed the casting of Ali at San Diego Comic-Con in July 2019, with the executive noting the actor informed Marvel he’d like to play the character after he won his second Oscar, for Greenbook.

Despite the early star attachment, it was only halfway through 2020 that Marvel really began sharpening the stakes in the search for its creative team. The studio spent months meticulously searching for the right scribe, only this February landing on Watchmen’s Stacy Osei-Kuffour, who became Marvel’s first Black female writer in the process.

Blade debuted in 1973’s Tomb of Dracula No. 10. He was created by Marv Wolfman and Gene Colan, and went on to be played by Wesley Snipes in three films made by New Line Cinema from 1998-2004. Stephen Norrington, Guillermo del Toro, and Goyer respectively directed the trio.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/m...el-blade-movie-director-bassam-tariq-4143850/

I have to say I’m actually very surprised that they’re opting for a Pakistani-American instead of an African-American for the director’s chair.

Age-wise, I don't think he can do a lot of these films.

Ali's acting ability is not in question. He's one of the best actors currently working. But he's pushing 50, and a role like Blade demands high levels of physicality. Even with stunt doubles and CGI, he's going to have to do a lot of the heavy lifting himself.

i'm not interested in marvels movies or shows anymore. most are fucking stupid

Would have been better off sticking with Snipes imo.
It should be Spines teaming up with Brother VooDoo in New Orleans fighting all kinds of vampires and super natural things.

Would be a new way to introduce the character in a new city with a new feel. VooDoo could tie in other super natural elements and could bring in other aspects of the MCU.

If it’s Blade in NYC it will just be a worse version of Snipes and full of bad CGI fighting.

It should be Spines teaming up with Brother VooDoo in New Orleans fighting all kinds of vampires and super natural things.

Would be a new way to introduce the character in a new city with a new feel. VooDoo could tie in other super natural elements and could bring in other aspects of the MCU.

If it’s Blade in NYC it will just be a worse version of Snipes and full of bad CGI fighting.

Have Snipes play an older, injured Blade who knows he can't keep fighting his war on Vampires for much longer. He either finds or is approached by a young man who has lost his family to Vampires. Blade trains him and eventually passes the torch, becoming for the new guy what Whistler was for Blade.

That way we get a new guy who can carry the franchise for years, but with the blessing of the OG.

Back