BJJ Vs Judo for the Street

mixed martial arts for the street

you need to know how to FIGHT, not just grapple or box

honestly there needs to be better rules for a hybrid takedown/wrestling ground grappling game

Judo seems better in any situation including the mat. OFF the MAT If i throw you on your head on the concrete floor, once only, and you'll forget all your submissions. Judo is superior to BJJ in the standup game FOR SURE. If you fight me outside somewhere and there's rocks or glass, are you really gonna throw yourself down? Or lay down and wait for me to attack? It's a bit impractical for everyday use. For mms it's great, yeah

Judo seems better in any situation including the mat. OFF the MAT If i throw you on your head on the concrete floor, once only, and you'll forget all your submissions. Judo is superior to BJJ in the standup game FOR SURE. If you fight me outside somewhere and there's rocks or glass, are you really gonna throw yourself down? Or lay down and wait for me to attack? It's a bit impractical for everyday use. For mms it's great, yeah

This thread is a year old mate.

Throws on head = Fatal.

Judo/wrestlers alike is just d34dLy.

It's the person not the art. All things being equal; size, skill, toughness etc...Ill give a slight edge to the Judoka.....falling on hard surfaces hurts a lot and potentially fatal.

Last edited:
I read a lot of people not really taking in consideration many of the most important aspects.
1. Rhythm: street fights are fast, they often happen within a couple of minutes where the opponents try very hard to harm each other rather then collecting points.
Considering this aspect, judo is a much better martial art as in judo competition the rhythm is very similar to a street situation while in bjj most of the times athlete take their time to obtain position and then go for sub.
2. There is no mat in street fights. Is very dangerous to be on the ground in a street fight, I had i friend that lost a fight because he ended up on a small rock with his spine, lost control cause of the pain and got punched in the face. This point is again in favour of judo as bjj without going to the ground is nothing.
3. There is no referee or rules in street fights
Being on the floor in a situation where anyone could attack you without you even realising ain’t cool, and in a street fight if you take somebody down and try to finish him, by the time you manage a friend of his could fuck you up. There is a video on you tube of a bjj guy rolling with a bully on the street, after a couple of Minute a friend of the bjj guy goes to separate them and the bully manages to punche him and win the fight. I am not saying bjj isn’t effective or that a guy with a good bjj wouldn’t fuck anybody with out ground experience, but bjj in real fight is dangerous even the Gracie one

Judo skills also translate into striking, like hand/grip fighting, explosive moves with major muscle groups, footwork/balance, etc.

If you're training martial arts for self defense then you shouldn't limit yourself to one.

Not every street situation is the same, it's best to have several tools to choose from.

probably judo. Unless you're a great thrower just by default, maybe with a background in wrestling or something, most BJJ guys don't have good throws. In fact most gyms start 99% on the mat. Knowing how to fight is great once you take down the opponent but doesn't matter if you can't, and pulling guard isn't a great option for a fight depending on if there's room or if the other person is gonna drop their weight on you and crush you into the concrete. So in terms of pure bjj vs judo it depends on a lot of factors, but in my opinion, bjj proves it usually wins in an enviornment without concrete, such as maybe on grass or on a carpet which to me seems like an unlikely fight environment.

Since judo has the throws and all that, I know bjj teaches throws but not nearly as often and they don't really spar with them. I think the bjj guy will be able to more consistently take the fight to the ground in order to employ their grappling or ground and pound. That and if it's a scenario where extreme force is warranted, such as the opponent just punched your kid or something, a judo throw executed with force had the potential to break bones and cause concussion. Pulling guard or doing a sloppy gracie style single leg doesn't have the same effect.

If you can training, mma is probably better than either. The gym will probably have a wrestling or judo class to cover throws and it'll have a grappling class that's more complete than just pure jiujitsu. plus you'll learn boxing and kickboxing so you'll be able to enter the clinch against someone punching against you, or just be able to dodge punches to run away. I think the style vs style stuff is stupid. Jiujitsu is a lot better for somethings and judo is a lot better for some things but if you take both of your strengths you'll be able to kick either the judo or the bjj guys ass.

Back