Media Bellator 291 Dublin Amosov vs Storley Feb.25th 2023

Having an event in Dublin + Irish fighters on the card is $$$$ for Bellator. Smart. And it's been a good event so far.

I understand if this is good business for them, but leaning in on Ireland (or is it just SBG?) to the extent that they do is just one of these things that make Bellator kinda ho-hum for me. 2 of 17 cards this year in Ireland, for the Irish audience that necessitates signing some long-term talent that maybe you wouldn't sign otherwise. Karl Moore coming thru yesterday was pretty badass tho.

Reactions: Gio
I wonder why the UFC hasnt gone back to Ireland in a while. They obviously have the strongest brand and some very quality fighters.

I wonder why the UFC hasnt gone back to Ireland in a while. They obviously have the strongest brand and some very quality fighters.
They just don’t care. UFC has other markets they make big money in. Mma is a global sport so you can’t necessarily hone in on every single market. UFC seems more intent on making Asia and Mexico work and continuing their partnership in the Middle East as well. They also have their sights set on Africa too. Plus all these aforementioned places have a much higher likelihood at producing world class talent than Ireland does. Ireland probably has 1 world class fighter ever and then there’s another good prospect in Garry coming up but other than that it’s complete shit.

It’s smart of Bellator to take advantage of these places that have a thirst for mma but the UFC doesn’t really care for it. That’s how you make money. PFL is trying to copy Bellator by going to the same places but they’re gonna have to get creative because they’ll never beat Bellator in Ireland. It’s too late.

They did try the Whittaker vs Till fight night that happened in 2020 was originally announced for the 3 Arena in Dublin but then it was cancelled because of the Pandemic and held on Fight Island. It is even worse with Katie Taylor she is loved in Ireland even my Grandmother who never watches any sport will tune in when Katie is fighting yet Katie hasn't fought in Ireland ever as far as I know. She would easily sell out a 40 or 50k stadium here if the ticket prices were reasonable.

On the whole Bellator in Ireland thing, I have been to the past 3 events including last night. Believe it or not Gallagher and Queally are not popular here. Gallagher is disked by the majority of Irish fans because they see him for the gimp that he is. Queally more so isn't disliked comes across as a nice genuine guy but just isn't that good of a fighter.

The thing with Ireland is and I know to an extent this goes on everywhere but I feel it happens more so in Ireland due to it being a small country, the majority of people being into the same things, holding similar beliefs etc. The Irish will cheer for someone Irish especially in sporting events because we always like to see our own do well as we see it as a good reflection on the country.
Irish people are extremely patriotic maybe even more so than the hard core American patriots. Even from living abroad for a few years the Irish all share a connection that I didn't see with most other nationalities.

I was at two UFC PPVs in Canada in recent years both far bigger events than any of the Bellator show I attended. Two completely different atmospheres the Irish events in general were so much better even though the quality at the UFC events was far superior. A UFC event in Dublin would just be crazy. Would be Paris a few weeks ago x100.

The crowd went crazy last night for Yoel. Even before his fight on the way into the arena everyone wanted to see Yoel and even a lot were looking forward to see Benson live as well. Manhoef got a great reception.

If Bellator are wise they will book Yoel again for this next Irish event. Gallagher will most certainly be on the card as he had to pull out of this even but I can't see how they could justify putting Queally on again.

I understand if this is good business for them, but leaning in on Ireland (or is it just SBG?) to the extent that they do is just one of these things that make Bellator kinda ho-hum for me. 2 of 17 cards this year in Ireland, for the Irish audience that necessitates signing some long-term talent that maybe you wouldn't sign otherwise. Karl Moore coming thru yesterday was pretty badass tho.
Stop headlining with a Irish fighter unless they are realistically in title contention. Put on a good matchup in the main event that people would want to see, ala Mousasi vs. Yoel

They did try the Whittaker vs Till fight night that happened in 2020 was originally announced for the 3 Arena in Dublin but then it was cancelled because of the Pandemic and held on Fight Island. It is even worse with Katie Taylor she is loved in Ireland even my Grandmother who never watches any sport will tune in when Katie is fighting yet Katie hasn't fought in Ireland ever as far as I know. She would easily sell out a 40 or 50k stadium here if the ticket prices were reasonable.

On the whole Bellator in Ireland thing, I have been to the past 3 events including last night. Believe it or not Gallagher and Queally are not popular here. Gallagher is disked by the majority of Irish fans because they see him for the gimp that he is. Queally more so isn't disliked comes across as a nice genuine guy but just isn't that good of a fighter.

The thing with Ireland is and I know to an extent this goes on everywhere but I feel it happens more so in Ireland due to it being a small country, the majority of people being into the same things, holding similar beliefs etc. The Irish will cheer for someone Irish especially in sporting events because we always like to see our own do well as we see it as a good reflection on the country.
Irish people are extremely patriotic maybe even more so than the hard core American patriots. Even from living abroad for a few years the Irish all share a connection that I didn't see with most other nationalities.

I was at two UFC PPVs in Canada in recent years both far bigger events than any of the Bellator show I attended. Two completely different atmospheres the Irish events in general were so much better even though the quality at the UFC events was far superior. A UFC event in Dublin would just be crazy. Would be Paris a few weeks ago x100.

The crowd went crazy last night for Yoel. Even before his fight on the way into the arena everyone wanted to see Yoel and even a lot were looking forward to see Benson live as well. Manhoef got a great reception.

If Bellator are wise they will book Yoel again for this next Irish event. Gallagher will most certainly be on the card as he had to pull out of this even but I can't see how they could justify putting Queally on again.
Queally can still fight for Bellator, and I think he will, he just shouldnt be headlining anymore. Just get him a winnable fight against a game opponent in the co-main or somewhere in the main event. I think Bellator will try to take their biggest events to California, Hawaii, and Ireland.

Queally can still fight for Bellator, and I think he will, he just shouldnt be headlining anymore. Just get him a winnable fight against a game opponent in the co-main or somewhere in the main event. I think Bellator will try to take their biggest events to California, Hawaii, and Ireland.
Go back to Hispanic Bellator and make California your home. Steal Combate's audience and go back to the roots. Just have Hispanic soccer announcers replace Big John and they can yell everytime someone gets knocked down,

Stop headlining with a Irish fighter unless they are realistically in title contention. Put on a good matchup in the main event that people would want to see, ala Mousasi vs. Yoel
No thanks, I'm tired of these UFC fighters get the main events and then do nothing. Kongo, Bendo, Bader etc

When they put Goiti and Borics those fights delivered. Why? Because they are not nearly 40 years old!

I'd rather see Pico, Shabliy, Tofiq etc headlining the cards than any of the UFC guys.

The arena will sellout anyways if they put Leah, Clarke and their guys on prelims or the first slots on the main card.

No thanks, I'm tired of these UFC fighters get the main events and then do nothing. Kongo, Bendo, Bader etc

When they put Goiti and Borics those fights delivered. Why? Because they are not nearly 40 years old!

I'd rather see Pico, Shabliy, Tofiq etc headlining the cards than any of the UFC guys.

The arena will sellout anyways if they put Leah, Clarke and their guys on prelims or the first slots on the main card.
That's what I am saying, put on your own talent that's exciting instead off pandering to the home crowd. Mousasi still has something in the bag, he made a fool of Vanderford in their Dublin show before this. A bout against Mousasi would be a good test to see if Yoel can make MW without a title being on the line. Eblen can face Tokov in the meantime

I think Karl Moore's W was good for Bellator, too. They throw an Irish fighter into the rankings and use him in the main card against a warm body.

That's what I am saying, put on your own talent that's exciting instead off pandering to the home crowd. Mousasi still has something in the bag, he made a fool of Vanderford in their Dublin show before this. A bout against Mousasi would be a good test to see if Yoel can make MW without a title being on the line. Eblen can face Tokov in the meantime
Tokov has visa issues and Eblen can't fight anywhere else except USA so that fight can't be made right now.

The last thing Mousasi needs at the end of his career is another juicy wrestler. No thanks. Just make Eblen vs Yoel.

Mousasi can fight Fabian and that way you get 2 exciting fights instead of one that has potential to be boring

Im hoping they do Amasov vs Storley II in Ireland with Gallagher and Queally fighting winnable fights. I feel bad for the Irish fans, i want to see them enjoy their local fighters winning.

Its crazy that Bellator, the promotion that is known for squash-matches and overhyped prospects has sacrificed Gallagher and Queally to elite competition. But the UFC is being hailed for Paddy and Molly, which have been very obviously been fed easy match ups.

Tokov has visa issues and Eblen can't fight anywhere else except USA so that fight can't be made right now.

The last thing Mousasi needs at the end of his career is another juicy wrestler. No thanks. Just make Eblen vs Yoel.

Mousasi can fight Fabian and that way you get 2 exciting fights instead of one that has potential to be boring
Europe doesn't have any vaccine requirements for majority of the countries

https://www.euronews.com/travel/2022/06/20/what-s-the-latest-on-european-travel-restrictions

I think Karl Moore's W was good for Bellator, too. They throw an Irish fighter into the rankings and use him in the main card against a warm body.
Karl Moore was very key for Bellator last night. You can’t rely on Jimmy “I hurt me knee taking a shit” Gallagher to pull out every main event. 205 is stacked with “names” in Bellator. You can definitely build up Karl Moore as a headliner in the future. I don’t know if he’s ready for the next card but next September I think Moore could potentially headline against Phil Davis. He’s big shredded and marketable. Definitely a good piece to build on.

Back