Bellator 139: Kongo vs. Volkov 7:00PM ET Prelims/9PM ET MAIN CARD DISCUSSION

Rewatched the KO, then the fight after. God that no contest was some pussy shit, dude was trying to milk the fuck out of it and get a DQ. Worse thing was he was clearly fucking done and moments away from a TKO, simply used the knee to throw the fight and not get a L on his record.

Hate Alessio. Fighters on twitter calling him out the way he threw his hands up immeditely when the knee landed then acted like he was dazed to fuck afterwards

milkin it

milkin it

fuck that guy.

Blame the bearded wonderboy who only had to throw 3 or 4 more punches to get the fight stopped. What a dumb knee.

Blame the bearded wonderboy who only had to throw 3 or 4 more punches to get the fight stopped. What a dumb knee.

Oh it was his fault no question, and i know the other guy is a perpetual journeyman who fights for $$$ and nothing else, but it still pissed me off

Other then that KO a pretty forgetable card. Heavyweight outside the UFC is so dreadful to watch. Solid prelims, main card looked bad going in I spose.

Parting thoughts from this Bellator:

Pat Curran looked solid but it's tough to tell how much the accidental clash of heads causing a cut to his opponent affected the fight; I felt like the first round was pretty even with a slight edge to Pat, but after the headbutt his opponent got more aggressive which opened him up to takedowns. Solid performance, but I'd like to see Pat get at least another tune-up fight before taking on a top contender like Strauss in a rematch to get back at Pitbull.

KO of the year probably, only it was Joe Schilling on the receiving end instead of the giving end. Shows you why MMA isn't kickboxing and Joe should stick to where his bread is buttered (i.e. GLORY).

Dave Rickels fights like a caveman, not only in both his tenacity and strength, but his fight IQ as well. If he would've just kneed the thighs and kept punching the ribs it would've been called; hell, he could've just stepped back and let Alessio stand and then drop him again with any strike of his choosing and it would've been over (Alessio was defenseless for the last 15 seconds).

John Alessio needs to retire, that was a pathetic performance from a solid vet who was clamoring for a title shot with a win against Rickels. Clearly he is off his rocker (or just a shameless self-promoter), because I don't want to see him fight ever again, for any organization. The way he played possum with the illegal knee, hoping for a DQ when he knew he was legitimately finished before the knee was pathetic and probably lost him whatever fans he had left. This is a "fighter" that no one wants in their ORG any longer.

Volkov has some slick striking but absolute garbage TDD and submissions. Even though Kongo is a shell of his former self and was putting his neck and arms in bad positions repeatedly it would appear Volkov is incapable of effectively sprawling or cross-facing. Additionally, when going for subs like guillotines he never uses his hips and when he goes for kimuras he doesn't even try to regain full guard. Embarassing grappling from a very enjoyable MMA striker, damn shame because he is a marketable, dangerous striker, but he'll get grapple-raped by anyone in the top 20 in the UFC with that grappling.

Chuck Kongo is not winning over any fans with his Lay-n-Pray strategy; yes it wins fights and it's part of MMA, but no one wants to watch him do this shit anymore. Match him up against all grapplers/wrestlers going forward since he seems gun-shy striking and he'll be gone in two fights.

Solid event that started slow, got hot, and fizzled out - 6/10?

Other then that KO a pretty forgetable card. Heavyweight outside the UFC is so dreadful to watch. Solid prelims, main card looked bad going in I spose.
It was nice to see Aaron Ely return after a two-year hiatus and pick up a win. Dude was a top prospect until his career was derailed by two crappy decisions, one of which likely cost him a UFC contract. That Ortiz fight still grinds my gears. What a robbery.

20150626082248_11_Cheick_Kongo1.JPG

20150626082249_11_Cheik_Kongo2.JPG

This Volkov would get rekt even in M-1. If he decides to fight in Russia, he should try Fight Nights or something like that. His career in M-1 was not that impressive anyway, he was never fighting top guys there. Back then it was easier for him to win Bellator HW belt than to become contender in M-1.

Kongo 265?

He was always around 240 in UFC

Did he really put on that much weight?

20150626082248_11_Cheick_Kongo1.JPG

20150626082249_11_Cheik_Kongo2.JPG

This Volkov would get rekt even in M-1. If he decides to fight in Russia, he should try Fight Nights or something like that. His career in M-1 was not that impressive anyway, he was never fighting top guys there. Back then it was easier for him to win Bellator HW belt than to become contender in M-1.

That's a bit harsh. He's still a HW prospect with talent, and a lot of upside. He just needs to work on his TDD/wrestling. I thought he clearly beat Johnson 29-28, but Kongo dominated him here. Just shows that he's not ready for the big leagues yet, doesn't mean he sucks. He can definitely improve with time.

It was nice to see Aaron Ely return after a two-year hiatus and pick up a win. Dude was a top prospect until his career was derailed by two crappy decisions, one of which likely cost him a UFC contract. That Ortiz fight still grinds my gears. What a robbery.
Yup for sure man. I recall him back in the day and was nice to see him back in the mix. He's still got some time to get up there, been awhile. Know I watched the Ortiz fight but won't pretend to remember it.

Think Bellator can bring him up on the prelims.

no

He weighed in at 238. idk why they put 265 there.

Very disappointed in Volkov. Kongo beat him everywhere.

Well he took him down n kept him there

I wouldn't call that "everywhere"

Volkov clearly lucks in grappling department n Kongo is becoming a wrestler it seems

Well he took him down n kept him there

I wouldn't call that "everywhere"

Volkov clearly lucks in grappling department n Kongo is becoming a wrestler it seems

i'd say everywhere. Even the striking exchanges Kongo was tagging him. I remember 4 or 5 CLEAN right hands landing on the jaw of Volkov

i'd say everywhere. Even the striking exchanges Kongo was tagging him. I remember 4 or 5 CLEAN right hands landing on the jaw of Volkov

oh stop there's a reason kongo did king mo shit. what's funny is that every time he goes out he shows why he not top 10

Back