Bear hugs in the UFC and MMA

There have been a few smother submissions.

Yeah, he twisted his way into a rib injury within Poirier's body triangle but it's the closest thing I can think of.

That’s actually more common than you think in bjj /grappling.

Former UFC champion Brock Lesnar defeated Hulk Hogan with a reverse bearhug. Definitely a legit hold.

Khabib exposed the uselessness of hugs from bears decades ago..

Oddly enough, Khabib also exposed how dangerous the body lock and back body lock can be if you just keep mat returning the guy over and over and over again.

Maybe if it was a freakshow fight but no one's every really tried it. It's called a body lock and usually leads to a takedown. The victim can hit the unprotected head or attempt to pummel for undertook

It would be funny if someone like Islam used it to defend their title. It would be so damn random

I’ve seen some of the chicks boating melons, yet no fake melons have burst in the octagon

546573_423734904312312_1831918805_n.jpg

I just want to live in a world where we can post pics and gifs. And I want to be the greatest ever. Is that too much to ask?

Perhaps this topic has been discussed before, however I have this question for my fellow sherdoggers:

Has there ever been a submission via bear hug in the UFC?

In my mind, you could kill a man by squeezing him to death from the front in a bear hug. However, I see this move is not banned in the UFC under the rules of restricted techniques (Unified Rules of Mixed Martial Arts). Also, it doesn't seem to be a submission that fighters ever go for.

So I wonder, why is that? Is the bear hug actually not an effective technique in MMA? Or in fact is it the case that the only submission from a bear hug is a broken spine and fighters do not wish to kill or cripple their opponents?

Any opinions from sherdoggers, mma historians or those familiar with the grappling arts are welcome.
I’ve wondered about this too. I’ve seen chest to chest, standing bodylock with double underhook clasped hands that looked like it could flatten someone’s lungs out with a dedicated squeeze, but this always transitions to a takedown instead.

Ive only ever seen a genuine bear hug take out someone half the size of the attacker. NEVER seen it work with two equally sized people.

The closest thing is the scorpion crunch (which I have tapped to once.)

it would have to be a severe mismatch. like maybe prime jeff monson vs miguel torres or something

What about a chinlock?
1701327682658.png
Or perhaps an stf?
1701327800415.png

Perhaps this topic has been discussed before, however I have this question for my fellow sherdoggers:

Has there ever been a submission via bear hug in the UFC?

In my mind, you could kill a man by squeezing him to death from the front in a bear hug. However, I see this move is not banned in the UFC under the rules of restricted techniques (Unified Rules of Mixed Martial Arts). Also, it doesn't seem to be a submission that fighters ever go for.

So I wonder, why is that? Is the bear hug actually not an effective technique in MMA? Or in fact is it the case that the only submission from a bear hug is a broken spine and fighters do not wish to kill or cripple their opponents?

Any opinions from sherdoggers, mma historians or those familiar with the grappling arts are welcome.
Tight guards to hurt the opponent or limit breathing has been used. I remember seeing it more 10-15 years ago.

Back