Movies AVATAR: THE WAY OF WATER (Dragonlord's Review, post #1)

If you have seen AVATAR: THE WAY OF WATER, how would you rate it?

• Total voters
They first one was glorious eye candy but as empty as a chocolate Easter bunny. Hard pass on all future Avatar projects.

Hard to believe they would use an element in the title. Thought for sure this was going to be about Netflix airbender season 1.

I liked Dances with Wolves, 1990. I liked Dances with Wolves in Space, 2009. I'll watch this Dances with Wolves as well.

Last edited:
They first one was glorious eye candy but as empty as a chocolate Easter bunny. Hard pass on all future Avatar projects.

The first time I watched it I was deployed in Afghanistan and we bought Bootleg DVDs from the Bazaar so my laptop couldn't do the film justice, didn't know it would become the highest grossing movie ever . Sam Worthington is still not a big star.

People don't realise it isn't about the story, it's a thing of beauty to watch for the visuals.That's it.

Which is why it was forgotten about a few years after release and left no cultural impact. The biggest movie ever and no one has it as their favorite movie.

I can't bring myself to give a shit about this.
<{chips}>

Yeah... same here. Which feels weird cause I actually enjoyed the flick back in 2009/2010. First 3D feature film experience, appreciated the craftsmanship and world building. Kinda got swept away by the behind the scenes work as well. The video game was alright, too.

But, man... not feeling this at all. I don't wanna go back to the jungle and hang with these blue cat apes. The navi culture and those characters were the least interesting parts about the first one. The environment was the star. Don't find them folk cool or interesting at all. And by the looks of it - they're perpetual martyrs, on top of it. Just gonna get bullied again by hoomans.

That said - only positive science fiction makes money. That's why Guardians of the Galaxy and Avatar will keep going - no matter how mediocre the writing could get - cause there are no alternatives. Star Wars, for example, is life denying excrement today with no beauty and sense of adventure and escapism.

A new, proper sci-fi/science fantasy franchise making billions is there for the taking, but everybody wants to keep it infantile and cutesy. Or dystopian, which always tanks.

I didnt even know what a hipster was when I tried watching it the first two times and fell asleep both times.
Third time I forced myself to get through it

Its just a boring movie whose entire thing has been done before. Its Dances with Wolves. its Fern Gully.

Im a sucker for good alien/alien world movies so if reviews are good ill check it out but im not holding my breath.

Are you into super hero flicks? If so, then it has also been done over and over again, particularly those Marvel flicks.

I really don't even remember the plot, I just remember how beautiful it was to watch on the big screen.

I am fan of live action films. The CGI was pretty cool and my imagination went nuts watching Avatar in 3D. When Avatar debuted that new technology or improved 3D was was innovating at the time. It made for good story telling. The story however, coming from an Indigenous Person's perspective, I can't relate to this even though the big talk about this film was sharing an Indigenous theme.

I mean it's great to see the Indigenous prevail over destructive explorers but it was your classic Dances With Wolves, Savior Complex-type movie. Again it's where the Indigenous has to be saved further promoting the idealism that Indigenous People aren't capable of saving themselves. lol. That's just how I see it bros. Sorry for bringing that up but it's a complexity that not many are aware of. I love the movie but the story line is far too cliche`.

I liked Dances with Wolves, 1990. I liked Dances with Wolves in Space, 2009. I'll watch this Dances with Wolves as well.

First one was a visual treat. Ground breaking and fun but the story was simply a rehash of Pocahontas as they just needed a carrier for the visuals so they picked a classic and just changed the story very slightly.

original.jpg

First one was a visual treat. Ground breaking and fun but the story was simply a rehash of Pocahontas as they just needed a carrier for the visuals so they picked a classic and just changed the story very slightly.

original.jpg
True if huge. Nice find.

Update: May 9, 2022

First Teaser Trailer for James Cameron's AVATAR: THE WAY OF WATER

Set more than a decade after the events of the first film, “Avatar: The Way of Water” begins to tell the story of the Sully family (Jake, Neytiri, and their kids), the trouble that follows them, the lengths they go to keep each other safe, the battles they fight to stay alive, and the tragedies they endure. Directed by James Cameron and produced by Cameron and Jon Landau, the film stars Zoe Saldana, Sam Worthington, Sigourney Weaver, Stephen Lang, Cliff Curtis, Joel David Moore, CCH Pounder, Edie Falco, Jemaine Clement and Kate Winslet.

Looks pretty corny, and now that I think of it the first was also a bit corny.

Oh yes the movie that took 14 years to make. That movie and here I was thinking i'd die before it was released.

Why hasn't James Cameron released the Abyss and True Lies on Blu-ray/4K?

The 4K upgrades of those movies have already been made. The answer as to why they haven't been released yet is "because James Cameron doesn't have time to sit down and watch them". Without his direct approval nothing moves forward and they cannot be released, at least physically. (I'm not sure about digital)

I wish Cameron would get on somebody's ass to fix the T2 4K release. It has the reputation of being one of the worst 4K's ever made; pretty much a disaster all around.

Update: October 28, 2022

James Cameron's AVATAR: THE WAY OF WATER Runtime Revealed to Be Around 3 Hours and 10 Minutes

FRqsUtIXwAEUSir

Be prepared for a long soak. James Cameron’s Avatar: The Way of Water has a runtime befitting of the 13-year wait for the sequel, around three hours and 10 minutes, sources tell The Hollywood Reporter.

Avatar 2 hopes to join an elite club of longer Hollywood tentpoles that have done blockbuster business in theaters, including Avengers: Endgame (three hours and 2 minutes) and Cameron’s Titanic (three hours and 14 minutes). The two films rank No. 2 and No. 3, respectively, on Comscore’s list of the top-grossing movies of all time at the worldwide box office, not adjusted for inflation.

Cameron’s original Avatar, released in December 2009, remains No. 1 all these years later. That film was some 29 minutes shorter than the sequel, or two hours and 41 minutes.

Throughout the COVID-19 pandemic, movies have gotten longer, with many Hollywood event pics running over two hours and 30 minutes, which, by traditional standards, is considered lengthy. (One exception was Sony’s box office sensation Spider-Man: No Way Home, which came in just under the wire at two hours and 28 minutes.)

This trend will continue throughout the rest of the year. December tentpole Babylon, from Paramount and filmmaker Damien Chazelle, runs at least three hours, insiders tell THR. And Marvel and Disney’s Black Panther: Wakanda Forever, which opens Nov. 11, is two hours and 41 minutes. Matt Reeves' The Batman, released earlier this year, ran two hours and 55 minutes.

A movie’s running time includes credits, which can take up as much as 10 minutes.

20th Century and Disney, home of The Way of Water, haven’t yet released an official runtime for the sequel, but the movie’s length began leaking out once it received an official rating. (In the U.S., the movie is rated PG-13.) Some theaters inadvertently listed the running time on their websites when posting the rating.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/avatar-way-of-water-runtime-1235251391/

Update: October 28, 2022

James Cameron's AVATAR: THE WAY OF WATER Runtime Revealed to Be Around 3 Hours and 10 Minutes

FRqsUtIXwAEUSir

Be prepared for a long soak. James Cameron’s Avatar: The Way of Water has a runtime befitting of the 13-year wait for the sequel, around three hours and 10 minutes, sources tell The Hollywood Reporter.

Avatar 2 hopes to join an elite club of longer Hollywood tentpoles that have done blockbuster business in theaters, including Avengers: Endgame (three hours and 2 minutes) and Cameron’s Titanic (three hours and 14 minutes). The two films rank No. 2 and No. 3, respectively, on Comscore’s list of the top-grossing movies of all time at the worldwide box office, not adjusted for inflation.

Cameron’s original Avatar, released in December 2009, remains No. 1 all these years later. That film was some 29 minutes shorter than the sequel, or two hours and 41 minutes.

Throughout the COVID-19 pandemic, movies have gotten longer, with many Hollywood event pics running over two hours and 30 minutes, which, by traditional standards, is considered lengthy. (One exception was Sony’s box office sensation Spider-Man: No Way Home, which came in just under the wire at two hours and 28 minutes.)

This trend will continue throughout the rest of the year. December tentpole Babylon, from Paramount and filmmaker Damien Chazelle, runs at least three hours, insiders tell THR. And Marvel and Disney’s Black Panther: Wakanda Forever, which opens Nov. 11, is two hours and 41 minutes. Matt Reeves' The Batman, released earlier this year, ran two hours and 55 minutes.

A movie’s running time includes credits, which can take up as much as 10 minutes.

20th Century and Disney, home of The Way of Water, haven’t yet released an official runtime for the sequel, but the movie’s length began leaking out once it received an official rating. (In the U.S., the movie is rated PG-13.) Some theaters inadvertently listed the running time on their websites when posting the rating.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/avatar-way-of-water-runtime-1235251391/
giphy.webp

Can someone explain to me why everyone is so hyped about this? The first one just mediocre to somewhat decent flick, nothing particularly memorable.

Back