"Is clinching more restricted in boxing or in kickboxing?"

Kanka

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
In kickboxing in general it depends on the ref and the organization. Many organization allow very minimal clinching. On the other hand, Kunlun Fight for instance does allow some clinching. Below are two examples of what i believe what limited clinching looks like in kickboxing.

1:59 ref immediately steps in. The ref is probably extra strict in this one because their first fight was overturned supposedly because of illegal clinching.

4:01, yellow card for clinching

5:04 immediate break by ref

Is it stricter in boxing or less strict?

If i remember correctly in k 1 kickboxing rules by wako you are allowed thai clinch but not to pull head down and you are allowed to throw one knee from clinch before separation

If i remember correctly in k 1 kickboxing rules by wako you are allowed thai clinch but not to pull head down and you are allowed to throw one knee from clinch before separation
Modern K-1 has pretty much banned all clinching. In some other organizations more clinching can happen. But how is it in boxing?

Modern K-1 has pretty much banned all clinching. In some other organizations more clinching can happen. But how is it in boxing?

Nope just checked official wako site so official k 1 kickboxing rules has at lesst a little bit of clinch

Thai clinch is allowed but only to throw one knee and no head pulling

Pro orgs tweak shit of course lol

Nope just checked official wako site so official k 1 kickboxing rules has at lesst a little bit of clinch
I'm talking K-1 Japan. WAKO is not associated to them as far as i know. Maybe they have fights labeled as "K-1 rules" but that's something else. I don't know which fights are sanctioned by WAKO or ISKA, i guess mostly in europe and US.

The big KB organizations are
Europe: Glory and Enfusion
Asia: ONE, Kunlun Fight, Wu Ling Feng, Glory of Heroes, K-1 Japan, RISE/Rizin

I'm talking K-1 Japan. WAKO is not associated to them as far as i know. Maybe they have fights labeled as "K-1 rules" but that's something else.

wako rules are considered "the official kickboxing rules" in K-1 kickboxing, pretty much every country in kickboxing trains according to them.

you cant use pro orgs as an example in kickboxing because rules vary so much between them

wako rules are considered "the official kickboxing rules" in K-1 kickboxing, pretty much every country in kickboxing trains according to them.

you cant use pro orgs as an example in kickboxing because rules vary so much between them
The promotions use different sanctioning bodies in different countries. In asia many promotions probably have their own judges, no WAKO or ISKA.

This question was about kickboxing at pro/top level in general, and for that the big promotions are more relevant.

WAKO and ISKA operate mostly in europe and USA and their officials don't even know how to score/ref fights.

I realize now i shouldn't have typed out "rules" in the thread title. This thread is not intended to be about what is written on some WAKO website but rather about how things are actually play out in the ring. Yeah, rules differ from promotion to promotion... The point is to have a discussion and maybe find some distinguishable patterns

Use of the clinch is actually a very important strategic element in boxing at the highest levels. Ironically, it is much more prevalent than it is in kickboxing; i'd wager a big reason for that is many kickboxing orgs going all 'we arent muay thai so that means no getting in close for anyone'.

Last edited:
The promotions use different sanctioning bodies in different countries. In asia many promotions probably have their own judges, no WAKO or ISKA.

This question was about kickboxing at pro/top level in general, and for that the big promotions are more relevant.

WAKO and ISKA operate mostly in europe and USA and their officials don't even know how to score/ref fights.

I realize now i shouldn't have typed out "rules" in the thread title. This thread is not intended to be about what is written on some WAKO website but rather about how things are actually play out in the ring. Yeah, rules differ from promotion to promotion... The point is to have a discussion and maybe find some distinguishable patterns

okay fair enough since you were going fo entirely different thing with your thread lol

kickboxing orgs world wide didnt like getting worked over by thais, so it has gone away from clinch.

boxing, at least to my eyes, separates a lot quicker than the black and white days

tbh i liekd that k1 had the no clinch thing cause then gives all striking arts a chance to showcase what they can do and cant use grappling as an excuse like they do mma

i like fact their are 2 styles muay thai for clinch and striking then k1 rules tbh k1 is much more appealing to the un trained person watching since clinching is boring to those who dont understand the details same with cage wresting

clinching is g*y and boring

Boxing back then looked like some Greco shit with punches

tbh i liekd that k1 had the no clinch thing cause then gives all striking arts a chance to showcase what they can do and cant use grappling as an excuse like they do mma

i like fact their are 2 styles muay thai for clinch and striking then k1 rules tbh k1 is much more appealing to the un trained person watching since clinching is boring to those who dont understand the details same with cage wresting

For me it's the opposite honestly; i hate it when a ref is constantly interrupting the action getting in between fighters.

Just let them bang, bro.

. This thread is not intended to be about what is written on some WAKO website but rather about how things are actually play out in the ring.
Sorry, if you wish to compete in tournament under WAKO rules you must sign these rules.
There are rules:
http://wako.sport/en/page/wako-rules-and-regulations/32/
Disciplines are different: K-1, Full Contact, Low Kick etc.
K-1 Expect
The Knee can be used to attack any part of body and head (legal target areas)
It is allowed to hold opponent’s neck or shoulders with two hands in order to perform only one knee attack. Knee attack must be performed immediately.
It is not allowed to grab the leg and punch or kick at the same time:(:mad:
Art. 2. Legal Target Areas The following parts of the body may be attacked using the authorized fighting techniques:
Head: front (face and forehead), side and top.  Torso: front and side.  Legs: any part.  Foot: for sweeps ankle level only.
-----
Nah, these more modern rules restricts clinch more.
If u will clinch classical, ref will step in, but still, if it can give you even 2-3 sec rest, it is worth it.

Yeah... but i don't think the real K-1 in Japan uses WAKO rules. WAKO just call some of the fights they sanction "K-1", what they really mean is full contact kickboxing without elbows and limited clinching.

bh i liekd that k1 had the no clinch thing cause then gives all striking arts a chance to showcase what they can do and cant use grappling as an excuse like they do mma
Well it has advantages and disadvantages. I think the Japanese promotions and Kunlun fight handled the clinching aspect well.

In K-1 Japan it seems to work because they've almost banned the clinch entirely, and the Japanese fighters rarely clinch. But when they meet fighters from other countries that clinch by instinct, it can interrupt the flow. I don't like it when they deduct points for clinching, but in general it works well.

I don't know the official Kunlun Fight rules about clinching, but they allow catching kicks and some clinching, more than other KB promotions. I haven't seen any major issues with the clinching there.

Glory has a 5 second limit IIRC, but since the refs are really inconsistent in their reffing, which causes some problems.

Anyway it's a matter of preference. I like consistent reffing most of all :)

You by real mean pro?
Wako is amateurs org.
In pros?
Then it depends from org, in contract what clinch rules and about gloves too.
Euro and in pro, at max 3-5 sec clinch too, usually or 0 …
-
Elbows, I know that it is smart choice: if a guy later will go to pro boxing, earlier suffered deep cuts might " help " a lot.
These pros rarely are able to debilitate enough with elbow, but damage& make into " bleeding can " for for example later pro boxing career : with ease.

You by real mean pro?
In the good old days K-1 was a promotion in which fighters from different disciples competed in a unified format, in K-1 WGP and K-1 Max.

Nowaday K-1 is also a promotion based in Japan.

So when people talk about K-1, they mostly talk about the K-1 promotion.

"K-1 style" would be similar to saying "UFC style", although the K-1 format has become sort of a standard for most kickboxing nowaday.

For Europe it is a bit different approach what is called K-1.
In end of 90 ies - beginning of 2000 ies they had a) amateur WAKO org with different rule set: Kick Light, Low Kick, Full Contact and this called K-1.
Besides this KB like tournaments had WKA and W.K.P.A

-
This doesn't create misunderstanding, because a guy in BIO state like this:
year, place, org, bouts/ fights/ organisation + rule set ( for example Low Kick, K-1 )…….
Nobody can easily claim that he competed for K-1 org and honestly, it isn't worth….

Last edited:
Back