Arab-Israeli Conflict, v2: What the UN Jerusalem vote mean for Israel, the U.S, and Palestine

Status
Not open for further replies.
U.N. General Assembly Rebukes U.S. for recognizing Jerusalem as Israeli capital
By Farnaz Fassihi | Dec. 21, 2017

UNITED NATIONS—The United Nations General Assembly voted overwhelmingly Thursday for a resolution effectively rebuking U.S. President Donald Trump for recognizing the disputed city of Jerusalem as Israel’s capital and pledging to move the U.S. embassy there.

The vote came despite threats by Mr. Trump and U.S. Ambassador Nikki Haley that the U.S. would take punitive measures, such as reducing foreign aid and cutting contributions to the U.N., against countries voting in favor of the resolution.

The General Assembly resolution didn’t explicitly refer to the U.S., instead asserting that unilateral decisions such as Mr. Trump’s have no legal effect and must be rescinded. In the vote, 128 countries voted in favor and 9 against, with 35 abstaining.

“The United States will remember this day in which it was singled out for attack in the General Assembly for the very act of exercising our right as a sovereign nation,” Ms. Haley said during the debate, adding Mr. Trump’s decision to move the embassy would not be affected.

“We will remember it when we are called upon to once again make the world’s largest contribution to the United Nations,” she said, appearing visibly angry and leaving the chamber after speaking.

It remained unclear immediately after the vote precisely what the U.S. would do in retaliation for the vote. Neither Ms. Haley nor the White House spelled out specific responses.

Many U.N. diplomats said Thursday that while they valued their alliance with the U.S., their own longstanding policies on the status of Jerusalem are in line with international law and U.N. resolutions that don’t recognize the city as the capital of Israel in the absence of a peace deal.

Turkey’s Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu denounced the approach taken by Mr. Trump and Ms. Haley, who said in an email to representatives of more than 180 countries a day earlier that the U.S. would take down the names of those who vote against it.

“This is bullying. It is unethical. The votes and dignity of member states are not for sale,” Mr. Cavusoglu said, adding it was unacceptable for a member state to “threaten” other member states.

In her comments, Ms. Haley emphasized the U.S. decision on the embassy location, saying it didn’t represent a U.S. prejudgment on negotiations over the status of Jerusalem. She didn’t mention Mr. Trump’s designation of Jerusalem as Israel’s capital, which other countries have called a recognition of Israel’s claims over the contested city.

Israel considers Jerusalem its capital, while the Palestinians claim East Jerusalem as their capital.

The nonbinding U.N. resolution, introduced by Turkey and Yemen, underscored the overwhelming consensus among international community that Jerusalem is a contested city and that no single nation, including the U.S., can determine its fate.

The General Assembly session was requested by a group of countries including Egypt, which sponsored a similar resolution at the U.N. Security Council that garnered 14 votes and was vetoed by the U.S.

The resolution states that 10 Security Council resolutions on Jerusalem, dating to 1967, require that Jerusalem’s fate be determined in so-called final status negotiations between Israelis and Palestinians. It calls on all states to refrain from establishing diplomatic missions in the holy city.

The resolution demands that “all states comply with Security Council resolutions regarding the holy city of Jerusalem, and not recognize any actions or measures contrary to those resolutions.”

Countries that joined the U.S. and Israel in voting against the resolution included Guatemala, Honduras, Marshall Islands, Micronesia, Naru, Togo and Palau.

Canada was among the absentions, as were Hungary and Czech Republic, breaking from the vote of other European Union member states. Canada said in abstaining it was opposing what it said was the resolution’s one-sided language.

Other countries said their votes for the resolution were meant to uphold existing provisions on Jerusalem’s status.

“The resolution adopted today only confirms relevant international law provisions on Jerusalem. This vote must not divide or exclude,” said France’s Ambassador the U.N. François Delattre, who voted in favor.

The U.S. mission to the U.N. said Thursday’s vote received more abstentions and negative votes than previous resolutions on Israel, casting that as suggesting that Ms. Haley’s approach was successful.

While previous General Assembly emergency meetings have centered on Israel, Thursday marked the first time an Assembly vote was a direct response to U.S. policy on Israel.

The Palestinian Authority’s foreign-affairs minister, Riyad al-Malk, told the Council the U.S. had lost its credibility to broker peace between the two warring sides. “History remembers and records names, the names of those who stand by what is right,” he said.

Israel’s Ambassador to the U.N. Danny Danon accused the U.N. of bias against his country. “Those who support today’s resolution are puppets pulled by strings of Palestinian masters,” he said. “This vote is nothing more than the performance of delusion.”

https://www.wsj.com/articles/u-n-vote-rebukes-u-s-for-jerusalem-move-1513878035?mod=e2tw

Last edited:
Ww3

Iran, russia ,China

Vs

USA, Israel , Saudi’s
The Saudis are there to take the first pin.
Israel and Iran eliminate each other which leaves USA vs China and Russia.

Baw Gahwdddd whose music is that?
<27>

giphy.gif

Hulk-Hogan-leg-drop.gif

Why should a sovereign nation like the US need the permission of anyone other than the host country to put our embassy where we'd like?

It's dangerously and needlessly insulting to the US.
We don't need their permission, but when it comes to decisions that influence international affairs we should consider international opinion. And if we do go against the consensus, I think we should have a good reason for doing so.

but seriously UN website hard to search. i just want to see list countries who vote yes and no. wtf so hard to find

Here's the graphics for today's vote:

I added it to the OP as well so the late comers can easily see it.

Last edited:
That's a brutal vote. Also, LOL @ Trudeau not voting against it. Weak.

As a Canadian, I'm happy about that. I care about the economic well being of Canadians infinitely more than the retardedly dogmatic fight over Jerusalem. Get us through NAFTA negotiations, if that means staying out of this argument, I'm 100% ok with that.

lol the lengths people will go to to justify objectively bad policy decisions.

I think we have sufficiently exhausted the possibility that Trump is playing 4-D chess or anything more advanced than Russian Roulette.

I have no idea what his plans are or those of the people around him.

But I have no problem cutting aid in this cases.

If he actually does it.

We don't need their permission, but when it comes to decisions that influence international affairs we should consider international opinion. And if we do go against the consensus, I think we should have a good reason for doing so.

I'd flip it around. They don't need to agree with us, but they'd damn sure better have good reason before needlessly impinging on our sovereignty.

Most of these countries don't give a cent to Palestinian refugees. The US conversely gives millions. What gives them any standing to question our actions?

Use of the US dollar as the defacto international currency is what gives America much of its world power and wealth, which has allowed a lot of Americans to turn to the service industry and being capable of attracting talent from all over the world. That depends of course on the US dollar being stable and available.
Our status as probably the worlds prime consumer is what has allowed the US dollar to be the defacto currency. When you buy everyone's shit making their nations richer, it gives you a certain amount of leverage on the world stage.

I think there's more to it. The same evangelical psycho death cult has been kissing the Saudis ass at the same time as supporting Israel. Although, of the 3 players involved only Israel isn't waiting for the return of Jesus.

They’re waiting for the return of their own messiah which could very well be Jesus....

Ppl in USA are just trying to rationalize their blind n full support for Israel

They can’t just state the obvious that Jews control most of the economy n media, cause that would be “anti Semitic” N “Nazi like”

So the next best thing is to claim the unconditional support for Israel is really due to evangelicals

That's a brutal vote. Also, LOL @ Trudeau not voting against it. Weak.

Yeah that's a real BTFO. Even Canada at most could only abstain, is there one 1st world democracy pro vote their beside USA/Israel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back