AQUAMAN v.2 (Dragonlord's Review)

If you have seen AQUAMAN, how would you rate it?

• Total voters
This movie was a mashup of Black Panther, Ragnarok, Ant Man and the Wasp and at the very end a little Pacific Rim Kaiju.
You could way Godfather was a mashup of 5 different movies. Even books.

Saw it tonight.

It was.... not good.

Saw it tonight.

It was.... not good.
qcg3N.gif

I didn't exactly hate it. It was fun, overall, and had some good things about it.

Visually it was interesting, it was occasionally funny, Patrick Wilson did a great job with a difficult role, Amber Heard was hot, and it didn't take itself too seriously.

However, as a movie it was a mess. The plot was ridiculous, the dialogue was ridiculous, the CGI was pretty to look at but super obvious, it was overlong and bloated, and for a movie of such an epic scope, it felt inconsequential.

Jason Momoa was clearly having fun, but he has zero charisma and is a terrible actor. He and Amber Heard had absolutely no chemistry whatsoever. Black Manta was a ridiculous character, who for some reason can reverse engineer Atlantean tech, and ended up looking like fuckin Alpha 5 from Power Rangers.

I enjoyed it, and I'm glad it is successful, but it is not a good movie.

Just watched it. Was hokey as hell but all things considered still not completely awful. Amber Heard made for great eye candy in her Atlantean outfit but by ye God's she's a terrible actor and the dude who played Black Manta was not much better.

Also the whole thing was too much of a cgi spunk fest for my liking too and while the effects were good for the most part it all just became very Michael Bay-esque after a while and I often found myself zoning out of a lot of the overcooked action scenes.

As I said, very meh for me personally and just to be clear I love superhero shit and want all the movies to be good and do well so I'm far from being a Marvel fan boy who wants all DC offerings to fail but thus far Wonder Woman is still the only DCU movie I really enjoyed immensely.

Just watched it, and rated it a 7. Here are my pros and cons:

Pros:
- decent storyline
- graphics are pretty good, except for a few parts wherein it looked very CGI
- amber heard is pretty
- fight scenes are okay

Cons:
- their humour is fucking terrible. i think they're trying to make momoa like chris hemsworth in ragnarok. it' just not working. i didn't laugh a single time throughout the whole movie.
- just like others have said, the movie was a bit long
- bad acting from momoa and amber at certain points

Overall a good movie, but it was pretty boring. They're trying to make things look epic but i just wasn't feeling it. I should've watched Spiderverse..
<2>

Late to the party but this is a beautiful fucking movie.

The narrative is redundant, we have seen it in Thor and Black Panther. And some of the music is cringey AF. But oh man, the best DCEU movie so far.

I like the message of taking care of the environment and multiculturism. I even like the love stories, which I usually hate bec they are so shohorned. Mera is hot and so is Nicole Kidman.

Late to the party but this is a beautiful fucking movie.

The narrative is redundant, we have seen it in Thor and Black Panther. And some of the music is cringey AF. But oh man, the best DCEU movie so far.

I like the message of taking care of the environment and multiculturism. I even like the love stories, which I usually hate bec they are so shohorned. Mera is hot and so is Nicole Kidman.
Saw it again and still enjoyable despite flaws , however I find myself still not liking letting Black Mantas father die when a few scenes later his close relationship with his own father is shown , yeah he has a comment about it right before he and Meera reach the Trench but it's not fleshed out well and doesn't absolve him of letting a man die , criminal or not.

Aquaman wins worldwide for DC but in North America I don't think it will beat Wonder Woman.
Wonder Woman had a better opening and better legs.

rusn8b17oyo11.jpg

Last edited:
7/10

Surprisingly good. The acting was a little off though especially with Amber Heard. Mamoa is ok but he sounds like a frat bro. Patrick Wilson was great. Needed more Black Manta. Pretty bad ass villain.

7/10

Surprisingly good. The acting was a little off though especially with Amber Heard. Mamoa is ok but he sounds like a frat bro. Patrick Wilson was great. Needed more Black Manta. Pretty bad ass villain.
Needed less Black Manta. Ideally no Black Manta.

56-C582-BB-5-FC3-46-EC-B165-5443-AB37-EE85.jpg

These statues are pretty sick. I’m not a collector so it’s not really my thing to buy something like this. So I’ll just admire them on the internet.

E02-A997-B-E604-4-EBE-BBED-348-BB0-B24-EC2.jpg

9-FE117-B4-11-C2-4058-BFEE-84752-CB0-CDEC.jpg

826380-FB-9-CB8-4023-A8-F6-CA51722-E0-EFF.jpg

F9290-D5-F-3272-4-B0-A-AD3-B-BBAB5-E7437-DF.jpg

E5955737-B6-B6-4016-9-E61-FD2-FC17-C27-C3.jpg

CDC3-D3-D1-0-C10-437-D-9798-19086-C6-BC176.jpg

tumblr_pcsfeoWxIG1solxeko1_1280.jpg

E73121-A9-1826-44-D5-A721-0-E3725313985.jpg

Last edited:
Watching this on potatocam. About 30 mins in. Copious amounts of derp so far. My impression is DC still doesn't get it.

Edit: But hey, Temuera Morrison just showed up. Was wondering why they didn't cast him as Momoa's dad.

Edit: Finished watching it. Can't say I liked it. There were some fun moments when they went over the top with the CGI. But overall the movie had a dull and uninspired plot, so-so cast, no relevant tie-ins to the rest of the DC universe and no cliffhangers, entire chapters of exposition, and they pussied out with the ending where everyone's suddenly buddies. There was nothing that actively pissed me off, which is more than I can say for BvS or JL. But Aquaman is pure nothingburger.

Last edited:
Seen it yesterday, thoroughly dissapointed, even with low expectations. 5/10.

I'll see if i'll give a full review later on, but for now, i see my main objections are shared with people here (cringy, cliche, lack of humor, lack of charisma from main cast, lack of chemistry between the two, Black manta, music, shoehorned environmental message, etc).
My reaction when at the end of the movie
Mera proclaims him the king with her bad acting in the cringiest manner possible
i literally said:
tenor.gif

@Halge is right, DC still doesn't get it. They try to copy certain elements of the MCU, but fail in all aspects (story, humor, music). Do your own thing, fail spectacularly but do it anyway. You have good writers, you have great stories in your arsenal, so use them. Hell, use the DC animated writers, they made some great stuff.

Seen it yesterday, thoroughly dissapointed, even with low expectations. 5/10.

I'll see if i'll give a full review later on, but for now, i see my main objections are shared with people here (cringy, cliche, lack of humor, lack of charisma from main cast, lack of chemistry between the two, Black manta, music, shoehorned environmental message, etc).
My reaction when at the end of the movie
Mera proclaims him the king with her bad acting in the cringiest manner possible
i literally said:
tenor.gif

@Halge is right, DC still doesn't get it. They try to copy certain elements of the MCU, but fail in all aspects (story, humor, music). Do your own thing, fail spectacularly but do it anyway. You have good writers, you have great stories in your arsenal, so use them. Hell, use the DC animated writers, they made some great stuff.

They have already done that by having Zack Snyder direct the first two DCEU films and almost kill the franchise before really taking off.

It was time to pay the bills after.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back