AQUAMAN v.2 (Dragonlord's Review)

If you have seen AQUAMAN, how would you rate it?

• Total voters
Yes, it is guaranteed. Also it would be amazing if this passes Civil War. The meltdowns would be glorious. But it only does that in a best case scenario. If it breaks out in Japan it has a shot. It has been killing in most Asian countries so it's possible. We'll see.

It's funny how so many people thought Aquaman would be a non-factor that they predicted AM would come in 3rd in the December battle royal. Paramount even put Bumblee on the same date as AM after AM had already staked out that spot. The absolute disrespect. Seeing the box office rankings now is almost as satisfying as when Ronda got KO'd after being so arrogant in the build up to that fight.

LOL if that happen, every DCEU movie from now on will have Aquaman on it.

and the reaction from Marvel fans will be glorious, but i don't see that happening.

Great comic book flick with some flaws and cheese. Easily comparable if not better than half of the Marvel lot. Impressive visuals, plus Ocean Masters armor was spot on. I'm a fan of both DC and Marvel, but seeing Marvelbots seethe has been the best part of the Aquaman experience this past two weeks.

Women are fueling the bankroll of this movie. Jason Mamoa doesn't look the part of Aquaman, and he's not that great of an actor, and he has no great movies under his belt to justify the popularity, but put almost anyone else in that role and this movie would probably have made about 40% less, I reckon. He is serious eye candy to them. Add the fact that the movie isn't bad, and that just makes a must see for woman haha. But just because it's not bad, doesn't mean this movie is great, because it's not.

Yes, it is guaranteed. Also it would be amazing if this passes Civil War. The meltdowns would be glorious. But it only does that in a best case scenario. If it breaks out in Japan it has a shot. It has been killing in most Asian countries so it's possible. We'll see.

It's funny how so many people thought Aquaman would be a non-factor that they predicted AM would come in 3rd in the December battle royal. Paramount even put Bumblee on the same date as AM after AM had already staked out that spot. The absolute disrespect. Seeing the box office rankings now is almost as satisfying as when Ronda got KO'd after being so arrogant in the build up to that fight.

LOL, I don't think that would happen, but the reaction will be glorious especially from the marvel fans.

when this movie reach 1 Billion, i will be back at that DCEU hype train.

DC, "One of our movies just made a Billion dollars!"

Marvel, "One of your movies made a Billion? That's cute":)

The dark knight made a billion and is better than every mcu film outside infinity war and guardians 1.

Went to see it with the family. It was a fun movie.

I had to keep telling my wife that no amount of tattoos will ever make me look like Mamoa...

I think he meant dceu. Dark Knight is well done, but it isnt part of DCEU.

Also 4 MCU movies are in top 10 box office movies all time. 7 of them top 20. Dark Knight is at 24.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/world/
FYI, trying to compare worldwide numbers doesn't tell you as much as you might think. The foreign market, especially China, has exploded in the last decade. Just take a look:
foreign markets.png

The numbers before and after 2010 are like night and day. Among comic book movies only 2007's Spider Man 3 broke the 1.5 ratio pre-2010. After 2010 there are 20 of them that did it.

In addition to the changing market it is virtually impossible to take into account factors such as ticket inflation for foreign grosses. So when pointing out the MCU's global success you also need to point out that every single film in the top 20 worldwide list (except for Titanic at #2) is from the last ten years. Expand that to the entire top 100 and there are only 19 of them that aren't from 2009 onward. And only seven of those are pre-2000.

I'm not trying to downplay the MCU's success, they've been the envy of all other franchises and show no signs of slowing down. But their worldwide numbers don't tell the whole story because hugely successful films from the past cannot compete in that metric and you can't readily adjust them. For adjusted domestic none of the MCU films are in the top 25. And TDK is ahead of all but Avengers 1 and Black Panther.

Just a little perspective on boxoffice history.

Also the above link to the wiki page, and it says that this movie takes place after JL. So where the heck were Orm, Nereus, and the jacked up tech of the Atlanteans, when Steppenwolf came crashing into the Oceans?

And they credit this Ludi Lin for playing some front line soldier, but you hardly see him if at all.

Looking forward to watching this again.
Every scene was good, flowed like the ocean currents, taking you around the world.
Channeled the essence of the best scifi fantasy adventures, while diving into its own distinct depth.
Solid 8/10.

I couldn’t handle the bad acting, especially by Amber Heard. And there were so many unecessary scenes and races underwater. Just too much. I gotta tell ya, the more I watch Justice League, Ithe more I think it really wasn’t as bad as many said. And the performances were pretty dam good...Affleck particularly.

Last edited:
Also the above link to the wiki page, and it says that this movie takes place after JL. So where the heck were Orm, Nereus, and the jacked up tech of the Atlanteans, when Steppenwolf came crashing into the Oceans?
He teleported in and out in less than 90 seconds.

I saw someone say that it's a plot hole that Mera brings Aquaman to Atlantis for the first time in "Aquaman", but in Justice League he has no problem finding or entering Atlantis.

Is there any explanation for this?

I suppose the motherboard may not necessarily be kept at Atlantis, but is there another reason he would know the location?

He teleported in and out in less than 90 seconds.

I saw someone say that it's a plot hole that Mera brings Aquaman to Atlantis for the first time in "Aquaman", but in Justice League he has no problem finding or entering Atlantis.

Is there any explanation for this?

I suppose the motherboard may not necessarily be kept at Atlantis, but is there another reason he would know the location?

Well Mera is the Daughter of King Nereus. They are not Atlanteans or based in Atlantis. They have their own domain. So perhaps Steppenwolf teleported into another undersea kingdom.

Looking forward to watching this again.
Every scene was good, flowed like the ocean currents, taking you around the world.
Channeled the essence of the best scifi fantasy adventures, while diving into its own distinct depth.
Solid 8/10.

Agree. Glad to see it's made a big splash at the box office. Let's see what happens when the Aquaman wave hits Japanese shores.

An Aquaman movie though

Thats just tell you the potential of DC character, when their stories are done correctly.

Well Mera is the Daughter of King Nereus. They are not Atlanteans or based in Atlantis. They have their own domain. So perhaps Steppenwolf teleported into another undersea kingdom.

This is correct

An Aquaman movie though

Thats just tell you the potential of DC character, when their stories are done correctly.

That's the thing- a relatively obscure character like Aquaman just had a movie that decimated the box office of the biggest heroes of DC banded together. DCEU is pointing out what MCU revealed years ago- cast the right actor and create a fun film and you can turn a character that wasn't among the most well-known or beloved comic book heroes into a major success on film.

FYI, trying to compare worldwide numbers doesn't tell you as much as you might think. The foreign market, especially China, has exploded in the last decade. Just take a look:

The numbers before and after 2010 are like night and day. Among comic book movies only 2007's Spider Man 3 broke the 1.5 ratio pre-2010. After 2010 there are 20 of them that did it.

In addition to the changing market it is virtually impossible to take into account factors such as ticket inflation for foreign grosses. So when pointing out the MCU's global success you also need to point out that every single film in the top 20 worldwide list (except for Titanic at #2) is from the last ten years. Expand that to the entire top 100 and there are only 19 of them that aren't from 2009 onward. And only seven of those are pre-2000.

I'm not trying to downplay the MCU's success, they've been the envy of all other franchises and show no signs of slowing down. But their worldwide numbers don't tell the whole story because hugely successful films from the past cannot compete in that metric and you can't readily adjust them. For adjusted domestic none of the MCU films are in the top 25. And TDK is ahead of all but Avengers 1 and Black Panther.

Just a little perspective on boxoffice history.

Ah that make sense.

Not directed at you, but Ive also mentioned comparing TDK to Infinity war is like apples and oranges.

2 totally different approaches to comicbook cinema.

Every DC fan keeps bringing up TDK when a successful MCU movie is brought up.

MCU is a shared universe that ties in with other super heroes. Most MCU movies are decent at best because they all lead up to a major movie like the Avengers.

TDK is a standalone batman nolanverse nothing more. Wereas DCEU is following a shared universe approach much like MCU, so it makes sense to compare the 2 (mcu, dceu)

Last edited:
That's the thing- a relatively obscure character like Aquaman just had a movie that decimated the box office of the biggest heroes of DC banded together. DCEU is pointing out what MCU revealed years ago- cast the right actor and create a fun film and you can turn a character that wasn't among the most well-known or beloved comic book heroes into a major success on film.

I agree with this.

If MCU can do it, DCEU can as well.

Back