• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

anyone ever get called for spiking?

markys00

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
watching askren vs lawler had me thinking, its never really happened, has it? it was close in that fight, but i guess one could argue askren held on..

is it even possible? has anyone ever been called on it?

q0sEXQO.gif

Not that I can recall. Bob Sapp spiked Nog on his head, Marquardt as pictured above, the Lawler/Askren one, Fedor/Randleman. All spikes, no action taken against any of them. Seems to be a rule that's not really enforced.

Not that I can recall. Bob Sapp spiked Nog on his head, Marquardt as pictured above, the Lawler/Askren one, Fedor/Randleman. All spikes, no action taken against any of them. Seems to be a rule that's not really enforced.
Couple of those pride though, we are talking unified MMA rules here right?

As long as there’s an arch in the throw, it’s legal. When you say spiking, think piledriver.

As long as there’s an arch in the throw, it’s legal. When you say spiking, think piledriver.

Any time a fighter deliberately tries to drop a fighter on the top of their head, it's a foul. The only exceptions are when you're defending a submission

Rampage/bader was nasty as fuck
thats a image i think of where their needs to be some kind of rules enforced.

you shouldnt be allowed to slam a guy on his neck, comeon. i get it there will be scenarios will the fighters will lose control and one might fall this way on accident, but a guy shouldnt purposefully pick a guy up and slam him in a position like that where they can cause serious injury. rampage had a terrible grip on that and still lifted and just said fuck it and slammed him. bader could have gotten really fucked up

tumblr_nqqotlT50P1rofocqo1_500.gif

method=get&s=jamie-varner-melvin-guillard-gif.gif

It's pretty hard to get a spike foul called actually.

In Patrick Cote vs Alan Belcher there was something like this, too, and again nothing happened.

Last edited:
Do roofies count?
<{ohyeah}>

thats a image i think of where their needs to be some kind of rules enforced.

you shouldnt be allowed to slam a guy on his neck, comeon. i get it there will be scenarios will the fighters will lose control and one might fall this way on accident, but a guy shouldnt purposefully pick a guy up and slam him in a position like that where they can cause serious injury. rampage had a terrible grip on that and still lifted and just said fuck it and slammed him. bader could have gotten really fucked up
He didn't intentionally slam Bader on his neck, bader put his arm down to stop the throw and landed that way because of it.

watching askren vs lawler had me thinking, its never really happened, has it? it was close in that fight, but i guess one could argue askren held on..

is it even possible? has anyone ever been called on it?

Marquardt vs Leites
Round 3

Incorrect. If it means anything to you, John McCarthy has addressed this issue before too. Sorry, but you’re mistaken.

From the unified rules:

“Spiking the opponent to the canvas onto the head or neck (pile-driving):
A pile driver is considered to be any throw where you control your opponent's body placing his feet towards the sky with his head straight down and then forcibly drive your opponents head into the canvas or flooring material. It should be noted when a fighter is placed into a submission hold by their opponent, if that fighter is capable of elevating their opponent they may bring that opponent down in any fashion they desire because they are not in control of their opponent’s body. The fighter who is attempting the submission can either adjust their position, or let go of their hold before being slammed to the canvas.”

Any time a fighter deliberately tries to drop a fighter on the top of their head, it's a foul. The only exceptions are when you're defending a submission

Incorrect. If it means anything to you, John McCarthy has addressed this issue before too. Sorry, but you’re mistaken.

From the unified rules:

A pile driver is considered to be any throw where you control your opponent's body placing his feet towards the sky with his head straight down and then forcibly drive your opponents head into the canvas or flooring material. It should be noted when a fighter is placed into a submission hold by their opponent, if that fighter is capable of elevating their opponent they may bring that opponent down in any fashion they desire because they are not in control of their opponent’s body. The fighter who is attempting the submission can either adjust their position, or let go of their hold before being slammed to the canvas.”

i love how politely the rules are written when talking about picking someone up and smashing their head into the ground

So, yes, it's never been called, huh?

I guess it's gotta be 12 to 6

From the unified rules:

In other words Lawler vs Askren was legal.

Back