Anybody notice some UFC (cage) fighters are absolutely terrified of outside the cage altercations?

PlatinumColbyCovington

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I've seen many fighters look absolutely fearless / in the zone inside that cage (they do it for a living so obviously they're not "scared"), but display a lot of anxiety in backstage / outside the cage altercations / faceoffs.. are they just blacked out during the fight?

Masvidal keeps the same energy in and outside the cage.. same with Robbie. Askren and GSP are good example of guys you could tell want no smoke unless it's in a sanctioned fight inside the ring (not saying getting inside the octagon doesn't take balls).

Its smart to not fight out of the octagon

What makes you think they're scared? Just because they're backing down or backing away doesn't mean that they're terrified, it means they don't want to lose their job.

They get paid to fight in a cage. Guys like Usman are overdoing it for the cameras. He only confronts Askren / Colby when he knows the cameras are rolling.

Because there are real world consequences for out-of-octagon fights?

In the case of someone like GSP, obviously he’s not giving that away for free. The dude made like 5 million bucks every time it was in the cage..

They're not scared, they're just grown adults who think before they act and aren't so insecure that someone calling them a playground insult riles them enough to get into a street fight. It's a sad state of affairs when professional athletes getting into fist fights at 30+ years old to "defend their honor" is praised by the fans.

Because there are real world consequences for out-of-octagon fights?

Especially if you are beating up somebody that is just a normal citizen. Watch the judge throw the book at you if you beat the shit out of somebody in a bar when you are a lethal professional mixed martial arts world championship level fighter.

Khabib was scared and got whooped by Nate outside the cage...

Got me thinking of Rose who had a nervous meltdown when Connor went berserk.

Rose always had the worst type of fans, Needless to say when she got slammed on her head i was delighted.

38D6847D-054D-493C-8B34-D37218AE2D47.gif

They are paid to fight. Only dummy's will do it for free and risk both their place in the organization and injury to prove they are tough guy.

Got me thinking of Rose who had a nervous meltdown when Connor went berserk.

Rose always had the worst type of fans, Needless to say when she got slammed on her head i was delighted.

38D6847D-054D-493C-8B34-D37218AE2D47.gif

It's ironic because you're actually the worst kind of fan. Maybe if someone dribbled your head off the canvas you'd wake up a bit humbled.

Colby Covington talks crap, but calls the cops when it gets thrown back at him.

Get paid to fight in a cage. Commission racks up fines and or suspensions for fighting outside the cage. Which one should they choose??

These are - for the most part - professional athletes. The sport has taken some steps in abstaining itself from being perceived as some lowbrow, draconian cockfighting.

Probably because and unsanctioned fight means no medical personnel on hand for their opponents.
Have you seen some of the dweebs that one punch kill people on the st? Askren may not be a striker but he’s a strong dude. He connects with someone he can do damage.

Yes and anyone that shows even a hint of fear during any out of cage altercations(even on twitter) then they should be cut or at the very least forced to apologise to fans.

I think it's a bit of exaggeration that fighters look terrified of other fighters outside the cage. I've never seen that. But if that's something you think you truly see it's probably this:

Outside the cage altercations are dangerous because there are no rules, you on in clothes, you could be outnumbered, you could get sucker punched, anything can happen and they don't want to get hurt. But it's really more like they don't want to get injured before the fight. If they get hurt, they don't get paid. And probably 75 percent of UFC fighters are close to living paycheck to paycheck.
You get into an alternation and hurt yourself then you can't fight.

It is absolutely absurd to get into altercations outside the cage. Also, fighters don't want issues with getting into trouble with the law, injuring innocent bystanders and getting sued, getting suspended or run afaoul with the UFC. What if a fighter who is paid $25K show/$25K win did what Conner did to Khabib with the bus trashing incident? They couldn't just make that go away like Conner did with unlimited money.

Last edited:
it means they don't want to lose their job.
Not just lose job, Conor's old striking coach just punched a guy in a street fight and killed the guy in a single punch.

https://www.scrapdigest.com/conor-mcgregors-coach-kills-man-single-punch-details/2473/

That means not only did he take someones life, but his life is ruined now forever, might even die in jail and his family destroyed. This is what happens when you scrap in the street with concrete, steel, weird objects around, not to mention you don't know if the other person will pull a weapon, or if someone will break it up if a person gets ko'd/goes to sleep, wants to stop etc. If you really want to see brutality, watch some underground street fights - many times the KO'd person gets stomped on repeatedly or even killed. I've seen a guy jump in the air and come down with a knee on a long ko'd opponent - guys jaw came right off. So yah, much smarter to avoid at all cost.

Back