Andrei Arlovski—what should his actual record look like?

achoo42

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
The last phase of Andrei Arlovski had a habit of not really pressing the action, which, like Benson Henderson, led to a lot of controversial split decisions.

Now that he's done with the UFC, let's take another look at the weirder decisions on his scorecard and see what his record would look like in a more perfect world.

Buday def. Arlovski: Arlovski's final spar—er, fight—was done at a glacial pace and ended up being very close. Not quite a robbery but I thought Arlovski edged out the third round in a fight that was 1-1. A majority (55.3%) of fans scored the fight for Arlovski, which was also reflected in the media scorecards (7/12 for Arlovski).

Acosta def. Arlovski: Waldo Cortes-Acosta is far more annoying than he has any right to be based on his ability to fight. However, I thought he rightfully ended up with the decision against Arlovski, and most media members (16/17) felt the same way. Interestingly enough, 46% of fans (probably less happy with Costa's showboating than anything else) managed the score the fight for Arlovski.

Arlovski def. Collier: Even grotesquely mediocre as he is, it is hard to score this fight for anyone other than Collier. And yet the genius of Sal D'Amato and Douglas Crosby managed to see it two rounds Arlovski. 14/14 media for Collier and a mere 15.7% of fans for Arlovski.

Arlovski def. Vanderaa: A close but clear win for Arlovski, and a split decision it should not have been. 15/15 media members as well as 87.8% of fans had the fight for Arlovski. A bad scorecard isn't dissenting judge Robert Alexander's only crime, as he has since arrested in connection with sexual assault on a minor.

Arlovski def. Felipe: What probably could have been a split decision ended up unanimous for Arlovski. Surprising, considering that this fight was a total coin flip—Arlovski was winning most of the first half while Felipe won most of the second half. 7/12 media members scored it for Arlovski, as well as 63% of the fans.

Arlovski def. Boser: Awful fight and no real way to tell who won. What probably should have been a draw turns into another unanimous win for Arlovski, which I'm generally OK with when it's a 20-something-old "prospect" failing to make it a convincing against someone who made his debut before the Internet era. 10/16 media for Arlovski, and 46.1% of fans.

Arlovski def. Lins: Not so much a weird decision but a weird scorecard; Arlovski almost certainly should have lost the first round but two of the judges did not see it that way.

Sakai def. Arlovski: By and far the worst robbery on his record, and potentially the worst robbery of that year. I was struggling to give Sakai even one round. 12/13 media members gave it to Arlovski (the dissenting one scoring it a draw) as well as 92% of fans.

Tuivasa def. Arlovski: A genuinely good scrap, reasonably technical and well-paced. It's a wonder that Arlovski's chin held up. The mild dissent in the media (5/18 for Arlovski) was magnified in the fan scoring (48.7%), which reflected how close the fight was. Certainly a factor was the battered and bloody visual of Tai afterwards.

Arlovski def. Schaub: Talmbout robberies, B? The first of Arlovski's controversial decisions is one I have to regrettably score for Bapa himself. Shitty fight though, and neither really did anything to really solidify a win. A scant 2/15 media members scored it for Arlovski, and only 27% of fans.

Conclusion

My biggest takeaway from watching these fights is that the 9-9 (or, if you'd like, 10-10) function should be used more often. Instead of scoring a coin-flip round as a draw, judges tend to literally flip a coin which leads to scorecards that often seem more arbitrary than anything. I get that draws hold up the division, but when careers are on the line, it is always better to err on the side of accuracy.

At least four of these fights were probably scored incorrectly (Schaub, Sakai, Collier, and Buday). But the robberies balance themselves out since there were two for him and two against him, so his record would remain the same either way. All the other fights were either very close or entirely coin-flips (and mostly not very fun to watch).

Nonetheless, thank you Andrei for such a long and fruiful career.

Last edited:
I've always found this topic amusing- AA's record in the sunset period of his career should probably be quite different but the fights were mostly so shitty nobody really cares.

I though AA definitely should hve been given the nod vs Sakai, Tuivasa, and arguably Harris- especially since Harris ended up popping for roids.
Agreed that Schlob probably did enough to win their fight, but let's be real, it was such a stinker that fight should be a draw at best for either.
Won't lie I didn't even watch Arlovski's last 5-6 fights closely enough to remember what happened.

Agree entirely regarding 9-9 scores. I think MMA needs more draws overall.

The last phase of Andrei Arlovski had a habit of not really pressing the action, which, like Benson Henderson, led to a lot of controversial split decisions.

Now that he's done with the UFC, let's take another look at the weirder decisions on his scorecard and see what his record would look like in a more perfect world.

Buday def. Arlovski: Arlovski's final spar—er, fight—was done at a glacial pace and ended up being very close. Not quite a robbery but I thought Arlovski edged out the third round in a fight that was 1-1. A majority (55.3%) of fans scored the fight for Arlovski, which was also reflected in the media scorecards (7/12 for Arlovski).

Acosta def. Arlovski: Waldo Cortes-Acosta is far more annoying than he has any right to be based on his ability to fight. However, I thought he rightfully ended up with the decision against Arlovski, and most media members (16/17) felt the same way. Interestingly enough, 46% of fans (probably less happy with Costa's showboating than anything else) managed the score the fight for Arlovski.

Arlovski def. Collier: Even grotesquely mediocre as he is, it is hard to score this fight for anyone other than Collier. And yet the genius of Sal D'Amato and Douglas Crosby managed to see it two rounds Arlovski. 14/14 media for Collier and a mere 15.7% of fans for Arlovski.

Arlovski def. Vanderaa: A close but clear win for Arlovski, and a split decision it should not have been. 15/15 media members as well as 87.8% of fans had the fight for Arlovski. A bad scorecard isn't dissenting judge Robert Alexander's only crime, as he has since arrested in connection with sexual assault on a minor.

Arlovski def. Felipe: What probably could have been a split decision ended up unanimous for Arlovski. Surprising, considering that this fight was a total coin flip—Arlovski was winning most of the first half while Felipe won most of the second half. 7/12 media members scored it for Arlovski, as well as 63% of the fans.

Arlovski def. Boser: Awful fight and no real way to tell who won. What probably should have been a draw turns into another unanimous win for Arlovski, which I'm generally OK with when it's a 20-something-old "prospect" failing to make it a convincing against someone who made his debut before the Internet era. 10/16 media for Arlovski, and 46.1% of fans.

Arlovski def. Lins: Not so much a weird decision but a weird scorecard; Arlovski almost certainly should have lost the first round but two of the judges did not see it that way.

Sakai def. Arlovski: By and far the worst robbery on his record, and potentially the worst robbery of that year. I was struggling to give Sakai even one round. 12/13 media members gave it to Arlovski (the dissenting one scoring it a draw) as well as 92% of fans.

Tuivasa def. Arlovski: A genuinely good scrap, reasonably technical and well-paced. It's a wonder that Arlovski's chin held up. The mild dissent in the media (5/18 for Arlovski) was magnified in the fan scoring (48.7%), which reflected how close the fight was. Certainly a factor was the battered and bloody visual of Tai afterwards.

Arlovski def. Schaub: Talmbout robberies, B? The first of Arlovski's controversial decisions is one I have to regrettably score for Bapa himself. Shitty fight though, and neither really did anything to really solidify a win. A scant 2/15 media members scored it for Arlovski, and only 27% of fans.

Conclusion

My biggest takeaway from watching these fights is that the 9-9 (or, if you'd like, 10-10) function should be used more often. Instead of scoring a coin-flip round as a draw, judges tend to literally flip a coin which leads to scorecards that often seem more arbitrary than anything. I get that draws hold up the division, but when careers are on the line, it is always better to err on the side of accuracy.

At least four of these fights were probably scored incorrectly (Schaub, Sakai, Collier, and Buday). But the robberies balance themselves out since there were two for him and two against him, so his record would remain the same either way. All the other fights were either very close or entirely coin-flips (and mostly not very fun to watch).

Nonetheless, thank you Andrei for such a long and fruiful career.
He lost by tko against someone that was using illegal strikes. Bad call. Don't remember the opponent though.

He lost by tko against someone that was using illegal strikes. Bad call. Don't remember the opponent though.
Rumble broke his jaw like 15 seconds after the round ended. For whatever reason, the bell never ranged at the end of the round. Not saying he would have won the fight, but he lost a decision fighting Rumble of all people for two rounds with a broken jaw.

He did a hell of a job as an old veteran gatekeeper. A lot of those guys may have scored some KO over a bum and we would've been fooled into thinking they were decent. But Arlovski exposed them as fringe contenders at best.

Rumble broke his jaw like 15 seconds after the round ended. For whatever reason, the bell never ranged at the end of the round. Not saying he would have won the fight, but he lost a decision fighting Rumble of all people for two rounds with a broken jaw.
It's funny that Rumble of people was able to break Arlovski's jaw but not knock him out.

I'm not going to watch those fights.

He did a hell of a job as an old veteran gatekeeper. A lot of those guys may have scored some KO over a bum and we would've been fooled into thinking they were decent. But Arlovski exposed them as fringe contenders at best.
Yeah.. Arlovski career was full of up and downs and he managed to make a shit ton of money fighting the worst fighters UFC has to offer and was one of if not the most active HW and all of that being over 40.

Respect for the dude.. he found a loophole and exploited it. Get paid for sparring matches against cans.

Hopefully he hasn't spend all his money and can finally retire.

His record should actually look like 34-24-0, 2 NC. Which is actually what it is.

I read this as vegetable gatekeeper for some reason

Back