• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Am I The Only One That Doesn't Want BJ To Retire?

TKJ

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
EDIT:
If you don't read the whole thing, at least skip to the part where he becomes a 145er. Thank you. Carry on.

Dana has said he'd like BJ to retire. USA Today recently called for it as well. I don't think that's the right move.

He's only a few days away from 34. He's not young, but he sure in hell is not that old either and and should still have some solid years left in him.

Don't get me wrong, I DO NOT want to see BJ fight at WW EVER again, no matter what the situation. He's never beat anyone at WW that wasn't named Matt Hughes. Furthermore, WWs now are HUGE and BJ (by modern dat standards) is a very average sized LW.

With that being said, LW has some interesting fights for him.

I know there's talk of Gomi/Diego already, but wouldn't you rather see BJ face Gomi right now?

The Varner/Guillard winner would make for a good opponent for BJ.

Josh Thompson is another good choice.

I'm not sure if BJ could get through Maynard or Bendo, but I think BJ could find himself being a legit top 10 LW within a year.

With that being said, if BJ is looking to solidify his legacy, LW would not be the place to do it...

I'm not one of those people who thinks the answer is always for a fighter to drop weight, but the fact is, BJ put on weight for his last fight and was still only 168 (didn't have to cut weight).

If BJ is really worried about his legacy and is motivated to solidify it, FW is the place for him to do so.

I'm not saying it would be an easy road, but legit could have a legit shot at becoming the first (and most likely last) THREE DIVISION CHAMPION!

If BJ could spend the next year constantly working on his S&C, he could be a solid FW. On top of that, he would be the bigger fighter for the first time... ever? He could have a big advantage at 145.

Give BJ a fight against Dennis Siver or Cub Swanson as his first 145 fight? I could see BJ winning against either one of them.

Follow that up with a big name fight against Urijah Faber (Faber has said he'd take interesting fights at 135 or 145). Another fight I could see BJ taking.

Then, if BJ can get those wins, he gets the title shot (as long as it's not against Edgar).

Either way, I don't think BJ should retire. I just want want to see him fighting guys who are so much bigger then him anymore. Go back to LW or make the move to become the first ever three division champion and really solidify your legacy as one of the greats.

On a side note, I would love to see BJ move to Blackhouse. He would have the best camp he's ever been around and would be pushed harder then ever. Then afterwards, Steven Segal could take credit for everything.

Last edited:
I don't want to see him retire. 155 is the obvious answer. But it probably wouldn't mean he would instantly start winning again UNLESS he gets a proper s&c program again.

Bj is easily the most frustrating fighter to be a fan of. All that talent and he's wasting his limited time in the game at a weight class above where he should be

well, it comes down to this.

do you want to see Forrest, Franklin, Rampage (and in previous years Tito, Randy, Chuck, Hughes and a few others) continue fighting after their heyday, knowing full well they'll never compete for the belt again? but instead will fight now & again for specific, interesting but meaningless, matchups? or to use a Dana quote out of context; "sometimes fights are just for fun?"

if you answer yes, you don't want BJ to retire. if you answer no, you do.

penn is a lot more relevant than almost anyoen else from his era... but he needs to move back down to 155.

I don't want to see him retire. 155 is the obvious answer. But it probably wouldn't mean he would instantly start winning again UNLESS he gets a proper s&c program again.

Bj is easily the most frustrating fighter to be a fan of. All that talent and he's wasting his limited time in the game at a weight class above where he should be

For the record, I know I mentioned his S&C as well, but I don't think that was the problem in his fight against Rory. He made it through the fight even though Rory was WAAAAAAAAY bigger then BJ and Rory hit BJ in the ribs really, really, really hard.

I think BJ came into the fight ready to fight, but I also know he has a hard time staying in shape when not properly motivated.

At least one more fan doesn't want him to retire. He should move from the title fight track to the "fun fight" track. If he totally destroys everyone in the "fun fight" track, then he should be back on the title fight track, sort of like AAA vs. Major Leagues.

Just because a guy isn't likely to beat the current champ, doesn't mean he should retire. Many fans still want to watch guys like BJ, Hughes, Franklin, Wanderlei, Chuck, but when a guy keeps getting KO'd, he should probably retire.

I'm tired of seeing Penn getting beaten. I think he has some good fights left in him and could make a title run at lightweight now that Edgar is gone. Guys like Maynard are more or less made specifically for him to beat. I also think he could do well against Bendo, but I'm unsure if he could win. At this point, though, it may be best if he just hangs up his gloves and enjoys Hawaii.

Yep, I say continue, but drop weight. He will never threaten for the LW belt again, however there are interesting fights to make.

I dont care what anyone says, but he's lost his fire. You look at his eyes at the Rory press conference/weigh in, and he looked enraged.

Look at his eyes once he got in the cage, he looked worried. Not like the killer of old. Just my opinion.

I think BJ is done but I'd like to see Shogun stick around for a few more "fun" fights as Dana calls them.

LMAO!

Dick. Haha...

If you were gonna sum it up you should had said...

That would had been more to the point.

yes, that's true. I just couldn't resist the opportunity to be an ass

If BJ wants to try and hang at 170, then by all means take your place among the all time MMA elite and call it a colourful and amazing career, if you wanna fight at 155, then I say get serious and make it happen. Gotta start with getting rid of them fuckin "yes men" they are doing him no good. Get a new team around him, train at a serious gym and give it one last shot, then if you get a repeat of last weekend then retire with yout head held high and truely going out on your shield. Do not try and do something that will only make you regret it later in life. You deserve better and so do your legions of fans worldwide. And just for the record, I am in no way a BJ Penn fan, but he deserves to go out better then what his last two fights dictate.

i'd rather see him retire than fight at ww, however i'd rather see him fight at lw than retire.

I believe he is 13 - 2 in LW fights...ummm, I definitely don't want to see him retire. I think he can still contend with the top LWs. I doubt he would be champ again, but an in shape BJ penn is still a top 5 LW right now. And frankly on a great night, he could even beat the top ranked guys a few times out of 10.

Yep, I say continue, but drop weight. He will never threaten for the LW belt again, however there are interesting fights to make.

I dont care what anyone says, but he's lost his fire. You look at his eyes at the Rory press conference/weigh in, and he looked enraged.

Look at his eyes once he got in the cage, he looked worried. Not like the killer of old. Just my opinion.

au contraire mon frere; bj is easily a top 5 lw if he moves back down.

Retire or 155 and I'm iffy on the 155 too. Sad to say.

Back