Where do you put Ferguson and Poirier in the all time greats LW rankings ?

Hazuki Ryo

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I personnally have

Khabib
BJ Penn
Dustin
Tony
Bendo

I think some have forgotten how great he was and that he can easily considered top 5 all time at LW

Personally I have.

200.gif

Why? Becase he spits HOT FIRE!

MMA or UFC?

I think Alvarez is higher than both, across MMA. And Gomi.

Many think Bendo is higher in just UFC. Some have Edgar, though his greatness wasn't limited to LW so that's makes a tougher criteria.

So....my answer: probably top 10. Definitely top 10 if limiting to UFC only.

Dustin is seriously making inroads into an all time great though. A few more wins and a title, and he's probably top 3 in most everyone's mind.

1. Conor
2. BJ Penn
3. Frankie Edgar
4. Khabib
5. Kevin Lee
6. Dustin Poirier
7. Sean Sherk
8. Tony Ferguson

Imagine putting BJ Penn ahead of Poirier

Lmfao

BJ doesn't even belong ahead of Alvarez, Henderson, Edgar, or RDA

1. Khabib
2. Dustin
3. Benson
4. Eddie
5. Frankie
6. Tony
7. RDA
8. BJ

I'd say Khabib and BJ are above them for sure.

Dustin and Tony are in the same tier as the other LW greats like Eddie/RDA/Gomi/Benson etc, however they can get above them and reach the same status as Khabib/BJ if they can win the title and maybe have a solid defense. Practically impossible for Tony at this point, but 100% doable for Dustin, who is only 32 years old and is fighting for the title within the year.

Just look at Dustin's resume of killers and tell me he's not a top 3 LW of all time (once he wins the belt)

Dustin and Tony have never been the #1 LW in their entire careers. That's just a statement of fact.

Shinya Aoki is more accomplished than those two. Pettis. RDA... dozens of guys

Its easy to shit on Tony now that he's old & washed but he won 15 of 16 in the UFC, 18 of 19 if you count his finishes on TUF. That is absolutely absurd to do in the most historically talented & deepeat division!

The problem is, 155 lbs has about 12 "top-5" guys all-time. Prime Tony is definitely among the 2-12 that are all looking up at Khabib though.

Dustin and Tony have never been the #1 LW in their entire careers. That's just a statement of fact.

Shinya Aoki is more accomplished than those two. Pettis. RDA... dozens of guys
Aoki is a bum mate

His entire resume is D level cans + green Eddie who smashed him in the rematch

Lmfao

1. Khabib
2. Dustin
3. Benson
4. Eddie
5. Frankie
6. Tony
7. RDA
8. BJ

Nice list, but Benson is too high imo. You have to take into consideration how dominant his wins were as well. Drop Benson down below RDA and I agree with the list.

Dustin is 100% at number 2, and it's not just recency bias. His resume is insane, despite not winning the best (has an interim, though can obviously still win the undisputed and cement his #2 position).

Nice list, but Benson is too high imo. You have to take into consideration how dominant his wins were as well. Drop Benson down below RDA and I agree with the list.

Dustin is 100% at number 2, and it's not just recency bias. His resume is insane, despite not winning the best (has an interim, though can obviously still win the undisputed and cement his #2 position).
Yeah you're right

Benson's dodgy split decisions should be a factor

If Dustin gets past Charlie Olives, I have him at number 2 LW of all time

Lmfao

1. Khabib
2. Dustin
3. Benson
4. Eddie
5. Frankie
6. Tony
7. RDA
8. BJ

<{outtahere}>

1. Khabibi
2. Penn
3. Gomi
4. Edgar
5. Ferguson
6. Poirier
7. Bendo
8. Alvarez
9. RDA
10. Melendez
11. Aoki

Between Tony and Dustin they fought at the same time. Tony was seen as better for longer. The unbeaten run.

Yeah you're right

Benson's dodgy split decisions should be a factor
Benson is Exhibit A in the "Judges just give the round to whoever looks more serious/mad"
Dude would go 8/72 in strikes, 0/3 on Tds and get fucking headkicked and still win a round. Insanity.

If you have bj or gomi ahead of them or Eddie/rda your list is invalid. The opponents these two have faced are far superior and accomplished champions in multiple orgs. You can argue pettis > gomi/bj as well since he beat multiple top 3 LWs during his time.

Back