Media Anyone who hypes up the cringe trashtalk/money fights can't claim to be a real fan of mma.

Superman Elbow

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
All you are doing is feeding into whoever is the best shit talker or who has the most twitter followers getting the title shots instead of the actual best fighters...Michael Chandler should not have been anywhere near the title, yes he was good enough skill wise but giving guys like him a shot over the other guys who have killed themselves for the ufc and gone on long win streaks is killing our sport because now those guys on a streak need another fight and risk losing it and losing their title shot that they deserved more than the hype job. IMO if you hype that CM Punk kind of ufc money grab you are a cancer to our great sport and helping rob us of the best fights between prime fighters.

Bruh, Chandler didn't deserve it, but whining about it isn't gonna change anything. Like you said, skillwise he is there and the fight was a very good match up and delivered too, so why wouldn't I hype it up? I like MMA, so I like to be hyped about fights, whether they were meritocratically formed or not.

Or we are just less up tight about this kinda shit

<Fedor23>
Tell that to a fighter working their ass off who gets passed up for the big fight because they arent good at trashtalk...maybe ones who dont speak english.

Bruh, Chandler didn't deserve it, but whining about it isn't gonna change anything. Like you said, skillwise he is there and the fight was a very good match up and delivered too, so why wouldn't I hype it up? I like MMA, so I like to be hyped about fights, whether they were meritocratically formed or not.
Because giving a guy who didnt deserve the shot robs someone who does deserve it. Im guessing we have missed some of the greatest fights of all time because of guys getting skipped for their title shots for a twitter hype job.

At the end of the day it's about entertainment. Sucks but that's just how it is. One good thing about this sport is that it's pretty self-correcting. If you put someone who doesn't deserve a fight into one 9/10 they're gonna get their ass beat (Hello Masvidal). And even in the case of Kevin Lee him talking himself into that interim shot against tony was detrimental to the rest of his career because it pushed him against top guys way too fast

Because giving a guy who didnt deserve the shot robs someone who does deserve it. Im guessing we have missed some of the greatest fights of all time because of guys getting skipped for their title shots for a twitter hype job.

Bruh, who do you think I am? Dana White or Sean Shelby? I didn't give anyone a fight.

Tell that to a fighter working their ass off who gets passed up for the big fight because they arent good at trashtalk...maybe ones who dont speak english.

Part of the game. If you can't get people interested enough to want to see you win or lose that's your fault. Don't cry about bad pay then. Works both ways.

Bruh, who do you think I am? Dana White or Sean Shelby? I didn't give anyone a fight.
Its a collective thing, we are the fans and have an impact on the sport. Hyping up colbys dumb ass tweets just leads us to seeing more dumb ass fighters getting attention. I honestly dont think cejudo would have gone the cringe route if it werent for how much attention the mma fans gave covington and some of the other cringey fighters. It makes our sport an embarrassment.

How many fighters have really gotten title shots based on Twitter that weren't genuine contenders?

They are today's version of Tapout/Affliction bros. Only around for the clout.

Its a collective thing, we are the fans and have an impact on the sport. Hyping up colbys dumb ass tweets just leads us to seeing more dumb ass fighters getting attention. I honestly dont think cejudo would have gone the cringe route if it werent for how much attention the mma fans gave covington and some of the other cringey fighters. It makes our sport an embarrassment.

Talking trash is as old as competition itself. It's just a part of sports. You can live in denial of that and build up a lot of frustration because of it, or you can accept reality and be entertained by a sport meant to entertain you. You aren't changing anything and only impacting yourself negatively.

How many fighters have really gotten title shots based on Twitter that weren't genuine contenders?
Its not just title fights, its all fights, its getting a fight on the main card or getting a top 10 fight. The fighters popularity comes into play with all of those and rewarding fighters for something other than fighting should bother anyone whos an actual fan of the fighting and not the wwe drama.

At the end of the day it's about entertainment. Sucks but that's just how it is. One good thing about this sport is that it's pretty self-correcting. If you put someone who doesn't deserve a fight into one 9/10 they're gonna get their ass beat (Hello Masvidal). And even in the case of Kevin Lee him talking himself into that interim shot against tony was detrimental to the rest of his career because it pushed him against top guys way too fast

This is true. The system self corrects. If a flashy guy gets moved ahead of another, "maybe ones who dont speak english" the flashy guy gets exposed and the hype dies down. Lombard, Rampage, Kimbo, Cro Cop, Reem are all examples of guys who were moved to the front of the line because of hype. All were talented but secured big fights before more deserving guys. All were eventually exposed and put in their proper pace in the rankings.

Back