WelterWeight division situation

fullspar

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

Colby is supposed to be fighting Usman, Colby says he is ready and we are just waiting on Usman apparently. Nothing has been announced

Burns is fighting WB in a little over 3 weeks, our assumptions are if WB wins, he will be next in line for a title shot. But if Burns wins, will he not be entitled? Even though he has already had his shot. Seems a bit off, if WB gets a shot if he wins, and Burns doesn't.
Also, if they are waiting for the winner of Colby and Usman, then they will likely be waiting until next year, or end of 2021 at the earliest.

Leon Edwards is stuck, he still wants his so called deserved title shot. Some say he is more than worthy, others not. Dana said Colby is next, and Leon should basically take another fight.
Taking another fight makes sense, if he stays inactive and wants his next fight to be for the title, Dana will likely say no, and give it to WB or Burns.
Either way if Leon is after Colby, he will still be waiting until next year most likely.

Now it also get interesting as Luque is fighting Chiesa at UFC 265, so if Leon refuses to fight, they could be putting themselves ahead as title shot contenders, both are racking up a decent win streak.

With all that aside, we still have some great potential fights in the WW division.
On paper it looks like it could be the best division, but everyone seems to be chasing Usman for the title shot.

Colby, WB, Burns, Leon could all fight each other for some great fights, throw in Luque and Chiesa and it makes probably the best division for fight potentials.
The only issue is they are all avoiding each other as much as possible, as they do not want to risk losing a shot at Usman.
The way i see it, Usman has maybe 4 fights before he retires? Not everyone will get a shot, and rather than waiting around they are better off bringing some excitement to the division and giving us some fights we want to see.
They will all most likely loose to Usman, so they might as well be chasing nothing, but I guess a title shot will bring in that extra money for them, and the potential to be the next champ once Usman hangs it up.

What do you think? How would you like to see the WW division play out, or what do you expect to see in the coming months?

Last edited:
I feel like there's some shenanigans behind the scenes. I think both Usman and UFC are waiting for Wonderboy to school on Burns to try and weasel out of the Colby rematch, for Usman, and for UFC - to try and low ball Colby for championship money.

Some horseshit like that. Dana suddenly being so adamant about Colby getting the title just seems suspicious.

I feel like there's some shenanigans behind the scenes. I think both Usman and UFC are waiting for Wonderboy to school on Burns to try and weasel out of the Colby rematch, for Usman, and for UFC - to try and low ball Colby for championship money.

Some horseshit like that. Dana suddenly being so adamant about Colby getting the title just seems suspicious.
Unfortunately agree. Throw in the potential of Chiesa/Luque to leapfrog everyone too if the fights don't pan out the way UFC wants.

I never thought of that, but it does make sense. I did wonder why suddenly Dana was saying Colby is next, after the Diaz Edwards fight.
But I just put that down to Edwards not winning in big way.

Nothing has been signed with CC and Usman, as far as we are aware, and we do not know what's going behind the scenes. If the fight is not announced by the 11th, then the could well be waiting to see how Burns and WB play out.
I also think Usman might not want that rematch, regardless if you, hate Colby or not, he put up a damn good fight, and was possibly winning going into that final round. The stoppage was also a bit questionable. But you can see why a ref would stop it, even though Colby stood straight back up with no issues, and ran back stage.

Assuming Usman beats Colby, It's going to come down to the WB/Burns fight. If Burns wins, then Leon will probably get the shot right then and there. If WB wins, then he's going to have to beat Masvidal or the winner of Luque/Chiesa to avoid getting overtaken.

Some horseshit analysis.... This is the ultimate fighting championship not the ultimate lets keep it inside one circle.. Lets be honest nobody has a shot at beating Usman.. The Colby fight will not happen because Usman himself won't take it and if you look at the division nobody has a real shot at Usman except Khamzat stylistically his the guy you should feed and make way for... Give him someone in the top 10 that can guaraante him Title shot immediately Chiesa or Luque sounds good to me than immediate title shoot..

Exciting and X-factor is with Khamzat Chimaev changing the UFC welterweight title picture for once and all.. If he takes the belt all these names you mentioned can line up and all will get easier title shots with him at the helm..

Also the Division needs a young champion who can stick around for the long term and better investment for the UFC

I hope you’re right (WB fan here, give him the damn shot) but i don't see it like that. Atleast not from Dana's POV. Dana is a sucker for bangers. Usman/Colby 1 was a banger. What Dana hasn't learned yet is that most rematches never lives up to the first fight. Too bad he can't let that go.

I def dont think Usman wants to give Colby the shot because he hates his ass. Dana def wants it though but it seems like he’s open for the WB/Burns winner leapfrogging Colby.

What's def NOT happening next is Leon getting the next shot. Which sucks for him.

Some horseshit analysis.... This is the ultimate fighting championship not the ultimate lets keep it inside one circle.. Lets be honest nobody has a shot at beating Usman.. The Colby fight will not happen because Usman himself won't take it and if you look at the division nobody has a real shot at Usman except Khamzat stylistically his the guy you should feed and make way for... Give him someone in the top 10 that can guaraante him Title shot immediately Chiesa or Luque sounds good to me than immediate title shoot..

Exciting and X-factor is with Khamzat Chimaev changing the UFC welterweight title picture for once and all.. If he takes the belt all these names you mentioned can line up and all will get easier title shots with him at the helm..

Also the Division needs a young champion who can stick around for the long term and better investment for the UFC
Well my horse shit analysis did say Usman likely beats them all, also it was more about potential scenarios as opposed to what's is going to happen.

By the time Khamzat recovers from Covid and works his way up to being a top 5, Usman will be long gone and retired. And that's not if someone derails the hype train before, maybe Leon should be booked to fight him again.

Usman is a good champ :)
Not seeing him losing for a long time :D

I hope you’re right (WB fan here, give him the damn shot) but i don't see it like that. Atleast not from Dana's POV. Dana is a sucker for bangers. Usman/Colby 1 was a banger. What Dana hasn't learned yet is that most rematches never lives up to the first fight. Too bad he can't let that go.

I def dont think Usman wants to give Colby the shot because he hates his ass. Dana def wants it though but it seems like he’s open for the WB/Burns winner leapfrogging Colby.

What's def NOT happening next is Leon getting the next shot. Which sucks for him.
True, but it shows how short sighted Dana is, I am sure Colby and Mas would be just as big as Colby Usman 2

Colby needs to earn his rematch, beating Woodley on a three fight skid and clearly past his prime doesn't count.

I also think he would genuinely like to see him earn it. A single over Woodley doesn’t really mean shit.
Usman literally called out a guy he already beat, that hadn’t even fought again since that loss. It’s time for this diva cherry picker to start facing the next guy in line. And quit calling out people he already beat. That is so weak.

After Conor KOs Dustin and Oliveira it would be super interesting if he moved up to challange for the WW belt.

Question: when was the last time a genuine title eliminator happened? A fight where either guy winning could get a title shot? Colby-RDA?

Even then, it didn't result in a shot. Arguably speaking, no one has truly earned a title shot since then?

Edit: best case scenario is Mas' bullshit shot remains an exception, not a precedent and Colby doesnt get a bullshit shot too, just cuz Jorge did. WB knocks out Burns and gets the shot for it. Then whoever wins the title eliminator between Edwards and Colby just can't be argued against for the next shot. Either winner would be right in there, even against the harshest of critics.

Imagine a world where one of the deepest richest divisions actually has people deserve their shots and earn them by fighting the other top guys.

Last edited:
So stupid Colby, Leon and burns aren't fighting each other. Hell it's so stupid Jorge hasn't done so either. It's a joke

Usman literally called out a guy he already beat, that hadn’t even fought again since that loss. It’s time for this diva cherry picker to start facing the next guy in line. And quit calling out people he already beat. That is so weak.
You're acting like fighting Masvidal and fighting Colby reap the same benefits for Usman. They simple don't. Masvidal has a much bigger following which means more money and more hype. That's not even mentioning the fact that Masvidal managed to make it five full rounds (something Colby couldn't do) and did so on a weeks notice. There was always going to be a rematch for that fight from the second Jorge stepped in on short notice.

Maybe if Colby wasn't the most boring fighter in the division he could have a fan base like Masvidal and get the same opportunities, or he could just accept a fight against a legitimate contender. That might work too.

Back