The next big thing: MMA fighters vs WWE and Olympic athletes

ippikiookami

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
We've had social media influencers fighting MMA guys, and we're seeing more boxers vs MMA fighters.

What's the next big thing?

I think we could see WWE stars fighting smaller real fighters -- not Brock Lesner vs a pro his own size, but a HW WWE star fighting, say, a retired GSP or Cejudo for example.

Next would be an Olympian gold medalist in, say, Judo or wrestling vs an MMA legend -- say an Olympic gold winner vs BJ Penn, Uriah Faber, etc.

Finally, we'd go full circle to the freak shows of Pride: for example, a giant strongman competitor with no training fighting, say, TJ Dillishaw or a giant bodybuilder vs Cody Garbrandt.

It seems we're on the path towards a "who would win -- a giant with no training vs a small pro fighter, or an Olympic boxer vs an old retired MMA fighter".

Comment if you like, but let's come back to this trhead in the future when we're seeing some NFL tackle fighting a 55 year old Wanderlei Silva.

Pro wrestling is harder than combat sports.

could we just keep our fighters in mma no gimmick fights at least for a little

It's all been done before
Fujita vs Olympic gold medalist (massive KOH)

WWE Superstar vs UFC fighter with no Wikipedia entry
9fjx6d82pj311.gif

A level NFL athlete vs MMA fighter/comedian

I would pay good PPV money to watch Colby Covington vs LeBron though. That would settle the big Sherdog debate once and for all

Last edited:
Colby is already going into WWE if he loses to Usman again

I would pay good PPV money to watch Colby Covington vs LeBron though. That would settle the big Sherdog debate once and for all
It’s not really a debate, if you’ve ever rolled in BJJ before you’ll find when you’re new you’re getting tapped left and right by much smaller women, against the best conditioned UFC fighter on the roster with a D1 All American collegiate wrestling background? An untrained person wouldn’t stand a chance.

We've had social media influencers fighting MMA guys, and we're seeing more boxers vs MMA fighters.

I think we could see WWE stars fighting smaller real fighters -- not Brock Lesner vs a pro his own size, but a HW WWE star fighting, say, a retired GSP or Cejudo for example.

Next would be an Olympian gold medalist in, say, Judo or wrestling vs an MMA legend -- say an Olympic gold winner vs BJ Penn, Uriah Faber, etc.

Finally, we'd go full circle to the freak shows of Pride: for example, a giant strongman competitor with no training fighting, say, TJ Dillishaw or a giant bodybuilder vs Cody Garbrandt.

It seems we're on the path towards a "who would win -- a giant with no training vs a small pro fighter, or an Olympic boxer vs an old retired MMA fighter".

Comment if you like, but let's come back to this trhead in the future when we're seeing some NFL tackle fighting a 55 year old Wanderlei Silva.
GSP can't fight anybody for the rest of his life since he is tied to the UFC. He needs to get permission from Dana the same way my teenage son needs permission to drive the car. Daddy Dana says a firm no, so no fighting for GSP.

I mean if the market keeps surging on "Freak Show" fights I can see it. Celebrity Boxing and similar crossover or freak show scraps had their surges in the past.

As we know the past is doomed to repeat itself.

Enjoy if ya like, complain if ya hate, meh if ya don't care.

Never heard of Karam Gaber huh?

Olympian, WWE, in MMA? Is this a weird attempt at bringing back Rousey?

WWE/NJPW/AEW won’t be sending out wrestlers to shoot fight people. NJPW did this back in the 2000s, wasn’t a good idea and the results weren’t good.

Plenty of boxers and MMA guys have been in the ring for worked fights and there are still some legit shoot fighter/wrestlers like Nakamura/Del Rio apart from Brock, not to mention the legends back in the day.

Back