Marvin Vettori: Israel Adesanya earned respect at UFC 263, says 'drunk guy' Paulo Costa next

KazDibiase

"My style is kneeing people in the face."
@Silver
Reaction score

When his five-round fight with Israel Adesanya was complete at UFC 263, Marvin Vettori thought he was going to have his hand raised. Once again, it didn’t happen.

Vettori (17-5-1 MMA, 7-3-1 UFC) lost his rematch with UFC middleweight champion Adesanya (21-1 MMA, 10-1 UFC) by unanimous decision, dropping all five rounds on the scorecards across the board at Gila Rivera Arena in Glendale, Ariz.

Although he did land some solid strikes and had the champion in some compromising positions on the mat, Vettori never truly had Adesanya in danger of being finished. He thinks he did “some good things,” but absorbed 96 significant strikes and called leg kicks “the story of the fight.”

Still, though, Vettori thought in the moment he might get his hand raised.

“Right after the fight, I thought I won,” Vettori told BT Sport in the aftermath of UFC 263. “He’s like, ‘No, you didn’t win.’ But at the end of the day, it’s respect. We don’t like each other, but it’s respect. We’ve shared the octagon for eight rounds now, for 40 minutes basically. At the end of the day, you’ve got to give some props.

“I think 50-45 was definitely not the right decision, but it is what it is. At the end of the day, I’m 27 years old. I’m going to go back to the hotel. I’m going to go and run. I’m going to do like a five-mile run. I didn’t even take a hot shower because I didn’t think I deserve it. That’s how crazy I am. I’m going to go back and work and get ready for the next fight.”

Vettori said the fight didn’t play out how he wanted in a lot of ways. After dropping a split decision to Adesanya in their initial meeting at UFC on FOX 29 in April 2019, his entire goal around the rematch was to make it definitive with a knockout or submission.

He didn’t get either, and he said it’s all considered a failure.

“I had all the cards to beat him, but I didn’t,” Vettori said. “I said coming in I left no doubt, and even if I won, I would’ve left doubts. At the end of the day, I didn’t do enough.”

Despite the setback in the biggest moment of his career so far, Vettori said he’s not done. He still sees a bright future ahead with many big fights, and he is already targeting a clash with Paulo Costa next.

“I would like to really destroy this drunk guy who can’t even stay off drinking,” Vettori said. “It’s ‘Borrachinha.'”

https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2021...aulo-costa-next/amp?__twitter_impression=true

Could be a fun fight but if Marvin doesn't find success pushing the wrestling, I think there's a chance he gets stopped, and Costa's TDD is no slouch, he trains with legit Wrestlers, and it's not like there's many wrinkles to Marvin's game, he's got your Double Leg, Single Leg, and goes for a few trips with the Body-Lock. The problem would be Costa's gas tank however, he can bang, and push forward, but if it's a 5 round fight I think it becomes a much closer fight. Marvin might not be the most effective wrestler, but he's a grinder for sure.

Costa should be able to run right through Marvin. Marvins Homer Simpson style of fighting won’t work well with Costa.

More excited for Vettori vs Costa than Izzy vs anyone, to be honest.

Vettori 48-47 vs Costa due to superior cardio

Paulo-Costa.png

Unless Costa completely lost it, I see him demolishing Marvin.

Typical sherdog and all that, but Marvin is just not on that top level.
He has the aggression seemingly, but there is no flow or rhythm in the way he fights, and his skills are not elite in any area.

Unless he perfects either striking or combat wrestling, this is the end of the road for him. The takedown "attempts" were embarrassing, and he didn't have the heart to bang. His corner was in the right place, but he just doesn't seem bright or brave enough to act when needed.

Unless Costa gets good at leg kicks, Vettori should avoid most of the shots.
Adesanya's strikes other than leg kicks weren't really landing flush. Even with the leg kicks, Adesanya really couldn't hurt Vettori. Costa may win on points, but I doubt he finishes Vettorii

Costa is trying to secure a big check, I doubt this is the needle moving match up he is looking for

At the end of the day, we can all admit that Vettori never had anything for Adesanya.

Costa should be able to run right through Marvin. Marvins Homer Simpson style of fighting won’t work well with Costa.

In reality Paolo Costa fights like Homer Simpson. He has next to zero striking defense and relies 100% on his chin. That's why Izzy made short work of him. Vettori's offensive striking is wonky, slow and ugly, but he is sound in the defensive department. He rolled with nearly all punches Izzy landed on him and blocked/evaded more than a dozen brutal head kicks that could've killed him.

For me Vettori fared very well defensively, great even. He lost, because he had nothing for Izzy on the striking department and Adesanya obviously improved a lot on the ground (and unlike Jan, Vettori doesn't have physical advantage over Adesanya).

Vettori-Costa seems like an interesting fight, probably a 50:50 fight, but I don't believe Costa runs through him.

Back