Why I (mostly) like the new LW rankings

Sticko

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
This was a particularly interesting weekend, with four in the top 10 all fighting and a vacant title fight that didn't involve either the #1 or #2 contender.

Beneil Dariush: I'm a bit surprised he jumped up so high. I like it though, because he's on a 7-fight win streak. This sort of guarantees he gets a top contender next time, and if he wins, his 8-fight streak probably gets him a title shot.

Michael Chandler: if you lose a fight, even to a top guy, you should probably drop at least one spot. His number stays the same, but he did drop because Beneil is now ahead of him in addition to the 3 that already were. I think this is probably why Beneil climbed so high: Chandler needed to drop a place but there were no other obvious candidates to put in front of him. The guy who was directly below Chandler, Tony Ferguson, also lost.

Tony Ferguson: I thought Tony would drop further than he did. He's lost 9 rounds in a row and probably shouldn't be in the top 10. I guess, though, that the more Tony drops, the harder it is to logically justify giving Beneil a big jump. And the three people who beat Tony are all really good. Tony's number went down by 1 but he actually fell by 2 places with Conor and Beneil jumping in front.

Conor: let's not get into the whole "Conor shouldn't even be ranked" argument. His number went from 6 to 5 but he actually didn't climb in the rankings at all. Tony fell below Conor but Beneil jumped above him. It cancels out.

Islam and Paul Felder: they were tied at #10 last time. That's probably not due to any voters actually saying they're tied, but just how the math shook out when they tabulated the votes. Now Paul is alone at #9 and Islam remains at #10. I just wish it were the other way around because Paul is semi-retired and Islam needs a better ranking for people to want to fight him. Plus Paul lost to Hooker who lost to Chandler who just lost to Oliveira.

Everyone who is now ranked #11-#14: these people all got a lower number but they didn't actually move up. Still the same number of people in front of them. Kevin Lee says he's going to WW but let's wait and see if he actually does it.

Thiago Moises: went from unranked to #15. Maybe he was unofficially #16 before? The other guys I would consider candidates to be in the top 20 (Fiziev, Tsarukyan, Dawson, Solecki, Haqparast) don't have fights booked. Moises has one booked against Islam. Coincidence? Maybe.

kz3A6al.png

kz3A6al.png

Last edited:
Once you crack the top 5 ish at LW it becomes almost impossible to dislodge you from the top 10 no matter how many losses you pile up. Back in the day Kevin Lee was top 10 even as he kept losing, the same with Felder now, also happening with Tony as well. Tony shouldn’t be ranked top 10 anymore, not with the depth at LW.

Because he jumped ahead of Islam? Why would he be pissed about that?
Nah, just the whole deal. Steps up short notice to fight RDA - thinks he'll do good by the company, tortures himself through a grueling weight cut - loses. Now the dude he absolutely son'd becomes champ and he has to talk about it since he's the analyst. On the same card, former foe Barboza has left LW and continues to successfully reboot at FW. Previous win before that, James Vick, got trebuchet'd outta UFC and what about Hooker? Can he at least take comfort in knowing he lost to a guy who went on to do good things? Nah, he loses to Chandler - Felder's L to Dan has a direct correlation to Chandler cutting the line so fast.

But the main thing - dude he beat so easy is now champ while he struggles to stay in the TOP 10.

Once you crack the top 5 ish at LW it becomes almost impossible to dislodge you from the top 10 no matter how many losses you pile up. Back in the day Kevin Lee was top 10 even as he kept losing, the same with Felder now, also happening with Tony as well. Tony shouldn’t be ranked top 10 anymore, not with the depth at LW.
i totally agree with u

They're pretty good. I would like to see Lee over Gillespie though, as they just fought each other just 2 fights ago for each & it was extremely decisive. Not too mention Lee's loss to Oliveira looks really good in hindsight, as the first 2 rounds were very competitive.

I know Lee gets a lot of deserved hate but he actually has some very good wins; Chiesa, Trinaldo, Matthews, Mustaev(finished fiziev), & Gillespie. All his recent losses are to top guys accept for Yaquinta who just seemed to have his number. But I think Tristar Lee that fought Gregor & Oliveira would run thru any version of Yaquinta.

Thiago Moises: went from unranked to #15. Maybe he was unofficially #16 before? The other guys I would consider candidates to be in the top 20 (Fiziev, Tsarukyan, Dawson, Solecki, Haqparast) don't have fights booked. Moises has one booked against Islam. Coincidence? Maybe.

I'm convinced that hardly any of you guys pay attention to the rankings on a weekly basis. Moises was already ranked at #15 last month but they bumped him off for Cowboy for some reason. At least he has wins over guys who were once ranked pretty well not too long ago (Hernandez and MJ). Not a coincidence at all.

https://www.fightmatrix.com/fighter-profile/Thiago+Moises/115322/

I'm convinced that hardly any of you guys pay attention to the rankings on a weekly basis. Moises was already ranked at #15 last month but they bumped him off for Cowboy for some reason. At least he has wins over guys who were once ranked pretty well not too long ago (Hernandez and MJ). Not a coincidence at all.

https://www.fightmatrix.com/fighter-profile/Thiago+Moises/115322/
You might be right but I don't remember Moises being ranked a month ago. Cowboy was ranked and when they bumped him out of the rankings Dober replaced him.
If Moises was ranked ahead of Cowboy before that, it means at some point the voters then decided to put Dober ahead of Moises.

Back