Overrated and Underrated HW fighters in your opinion?

Oceanmachine

Tidwell belt
Banned
Reaction score
Underrated =

Alistair Overeem when he was Ubereem= p4p the most skilled fighter ever. Lethal knees, clinch, guillotine, powerful KO power in hands, deadly kicks, freakish strong, fast, good takedown defense, good submission defense, good top game. Deadly guillotine.

Werdum = submitted Overeem before he was Ubereem. Submitted Big Nog, Submitted Fedor, Submitted Fedor brother, Submitted Cain, submitted Gustafsson, TKO Mark Hunt

Ngannou = This beast would destroy Cormier. Why dont Cormier come out of retirement.

Overrated :

Cain = Fought the same guys over and over. Lost to different comp

Cormier = Undersized HW in height, amazing guy but would lose to true HWs with skill like Ngannou, Stipe, Jones, Blaydes, Id also favor Prime Fedor over Cormier and favor Cain as well. Also Ubereem and Werdum

Uberreem Underrated? Certainly not on Sherdog TS.

Lewis is very underrated for me, really doesn't get the credit he deserves. He has pretty solid TDD and is the epitome of a fighter who only needs one punch to get a KO.

I'd say my pick for most underrated is probably Cheick Kongo. He had a long career at a high level in both the UFC and Bellator, went 11-6-1 in the UFC and 12-3 in Bellator.

Good stand up, solid top game, has wins over Cro Cop, Minakov, Volkov, Sakai, Mitrione etc.

Underrated =

Alistair Overeem when he was Ubereem= p4p the most skilled fighter ever. Lethal knees, clinch, guillotine, powerful KO power in hands, deadly kicks, freakish strong, fast, good takedown defense, good submission defense, good top game. Deadly guillotine.

Werdum = submitted Overeem before he was Ubereem. Submitted Big Nog, Submitted Fedor, Submitted Fedor brother, Submitted Cain, submitted Gustafsson, TKO Mark Hunt

Ngannou = This beast would destroy Cormier. Why dont Cormier come out of retirement.

Overrated :

Cain = Fought the same guys over and over. Lost to different comp

Cormier = Undersized HW in height, amazing guy but would lose to true HWs with skill like Ngannou, Stipe, Jones, Blaydes, Id also favor Prime Fedor over Cormier and favor Cain as well. Also Ubereem and Werdum
Sherdog is a very confusing place. They love Overeem and hate Jon Jones. Jon Jones is a cheat etc.... How does Overeem go from a LHW to a jacked 250+ heavyweight with muscles on top of muscles? Was it lean chicken and fish?

Sherdog is a very confusing place. They love Overeem and hate Jon Jones. Jon Jones is a cheat etc.... How does Overeem go from a LHW to a jacked 250+ heavyweight with muscles on top of muscles? Was it lean chicken and fish?

Well Overeem did eventually test positive and in Usada he deflated. BUT

Overeem when he was at LHW was cutting a lot of weight. On fight night he was weighing 230lbs to 2353ish lbs. Off season he was high 230s to low 240s

Here he is post Liddell fight in 2003. Still visible abs

sddefault.jpg

The difference was when he became Ubereem he went from this

To 255lbs shredded.

maxresdefault.jpg

A 20lb gain of all muscle in like 2 years then he got even bigger eventuslly being in the low to mid 260s in Dream and K1
2RQ0z7SjV0uL6Pwzt3QQ40eJde_nA_FeSHPRFYT0nuOc35RWuGOt4NxAkYnTTTM7Wzunis3fdy438yycfyLy_7L0dmMqB9tqCqnN7KzoA2kUvEqTJR1B5vw5gBk

and then being 270ish or 268ish and cutting a few pounds to make HW when he fought Big Foot and Lesnar.

Last edited:

Jones still managed to fail more tests and for more different substances than the Reem.

It's such a joke to say Cormier is over rated. He just got old, that shit happens when ur in a young mans game. Too many kids of the sport come in late and see some of the greats fight past their prime and suddenly they were never that great, they suck, etc.........The only 2 opponents he didn't just flat out school, were Jones, LHW GOAT, and Stipe, HW GOAT. Also Gus fought him to a decision but Gus was a top dog also. It's just a dumb, casual comment to make. He started fighting in his 30's and still managed to become one of the greatest to ever step into the cage. i truly believe he would've never lost had he started fighting earlier in life.

Also he would've dragged Ngannou down and finished him within 2 rounds, and I'm a huge Ngannou fan. take the first Ngannou/Stipe fight and multiply that time 5. And again, I'm a huge Ngannou fan. I want him to rule the division. Now that he's starting to mix in kicks and really work on his wrestling, he may be unstoppable

Not true today, but historically I'd say:

Underrated - Stipe (things began to change slightly after Ngannou fight, but one of the most underrated/disrespected fighters ever).
Overrated - Cain (absolute monster in his prime but is routinely in the goat hw discussion which is insane when you look at his actual achievements and career lenght)

Ngannou is one of the most polarizing heavyweights on here, people seem to only egregiously underrate him (labeling him as a one-dimensional can no better than Tank Abbott or Bob Sapp) or overrate him (putting him on GOAT lists).

overrated-nganou
his whole career is koing past their prime fighters and fighters with glass jaws

Underrated: (you rarely hear of) Barnett, Ricco, Rizzo, Mo Smith. Couture was the underdog pretty much always.

Overrated: Tank, Mir, Roy Nelson, Struve for a while, Blaydes

Overrated: All of the old guys i.e Tank
Underrated: Werdum and Roy Nelson

Underrated;
Fedor
He should be #1 in all the GOAT conversations.

I don't think any of the above mentioned fighters are overrated. They were all champions in possibly the most difficult sport in the world. I have a lot of admiration for any person who chooses professional fighting at the top level as their occupation. They put their health and possibly life on the line every fight and deserve our respect.

Overrated: All of the old guys i.e Tank
Underrated: Werdum and Roy Nelson

Tank? I dare you to find me one person who rated Tank as a martial artist, let alone a large majority of people who did.

Reem was a walking pharmacy in orgs where everybody was taking stuff.
Then he got to the UFC, pissed hot and got to serve his time.

Jones was left off the hook by USADA and UFC when he clearly cheated. Also him ducking short notice Chael, crashing cars and doing cocaine did no favors to his popularity.

Back