Malkoun/Alhassan - How do you defend head out side single trip?

JustOnce

On Hiatus
Double Yellow Card
Reaction score
I think Cormier a while back was mentioning it too, I think he meant the same technique, it shouldn't work in wrestling, but works for him all the time in MMA. I mean you don't see that in wrestling for sure.

Cruz was saying oh you just need to put the head inside, but it's easier said than done especially when you are pressed into the cage.

So how do you defend that?

The only way I can think of is to just stuff the head down as hard as possible and try to break their posture while having good 1 foot balance, im curious as well

The only way I can think of is to just stuff the head down as hard as possible and try to break their posture while having good 1 foot balance, im curious as well
Drown the head, turn away and kick out.
Or
Hit a switch.
Or
Pull head and arm up while stepping to ground then fight from clinch
Or
Idk dude there's like 10 good options.
I usually switch

Or
Hit a switch.
Or
Or
I usually switch

None of this shit would've worked with Malkoun because he was so deep and had good posture.

And there is no 10 good options from the position Malkoun was in. No way.

I promise you, you wouldn't have hit a switch on Malkoun from that position.

Or
Hit a switch.
Or
Or
I usually switch
Nice thanks for the info, I've never wrestled myself but I'm super interested in wrestling. I'm treating a neck Injury right now, but there's a gym in NJ that teaches adult classes for beginners so I plan on joining for some fun

Nice thanks for the info, I've never wrestled myself but I'm super interested in wrestling. I'm treating a neck Injury right now, but there's a gym in NJ that teaches adult classes for beginners so I plan on joining for some fun

there are so many videos on youtube by professional fighters and wrestlers, I wish there were around in the past :(

but that move isn't really wrestling finish, I bet no one drills that.
maybe in mma i guess

there are so many videos on youtube by professional fighters and wrestlers, I wish there were around in the past :(

maybe in mma i guess
Yea I've been watching a lot of Kyle Dake videos,
along with DCs MMA wrestling highlights. What got me hooked was watching dake vs Burroughs and some random HS/college matches on reddit

You have to move your feet and change the angle when they try and dump you on the trip. As Cruz said it's a balance position.

The wrestler wants to step inside (behind) the opponents leg (that they aren't holding) so that when they dump to the side the opponent can't simply scoot his hips back and use the one leg he still has to keep him standing.

maybe in mma i guess
A head on the outside single isn't a wrestling finish?
Lol.
No wonder your response to me was odd.

A head on the outside single isn't a wrestling finish?
Lol.
No wonder your response to me was odd.

Like that? You probably never wrestled in your entire life.

Chs140 is an homage to my wrestling days.
Hell, I have a freestyle state championship.
Don't project too hard, bud.

obviously you don't know shit about wrestling but hey, it is what it is man.

What a strange, insecure person.

well I guess you know better than Cormier. Like he said, you don't finish like that in wrestling dummy, you never see that in wrestling. But I guess your freestyle state wrestling championship in high school means a lot. lmao.

well I guess you know better than Cormier. Like he said, you don't finish like that in wrestling dummy, you never see that in wrestling. But I guess your freestyle state wrestling championship in high school means a lot. lmao.
Lol. You're asking about a dump single. Shit elementary school kids do. And questioning others?
Cormier is right, at high levels of wrestling, it doesn't work, people don't finish that.
Because like I said, there's ten good options to stop it.
Go take a wrestling class.

Lol. You're asking about a dump single. Shit elementary school kids do. And questioning others?
Cormier is right, at high levels of wrestling, it doesn't work, people don't finish that.

no dummy that was some sloppy head outside leg trip, same one Cormier was talking about.

Yeah Cormier is right. You are wrong. Delusional this guy.

To be clear, that wasn't dump single. That was head outside single trip the other leg. You don't see that finish in any levels of wrestling. You don't drill that in practice.

Cormier said he don't do that in wrestling, but works in MMA.
Bisping said generally you don't do head out single, not trip itself, but head out single because it's technically incorrect.
Cruz agreed.

What are you, Dan Gable?

@JustOnce

Lol those were very basic outside singles he was hitting and finishing them with inside trips. Alhassan just has putrid defensive grappling and Malkhoun did a fine job of committing.

There’s several ways to defend the outside single, my personal favorite (try this if you train):

-inside arm cross face

- Post off of the head while angling to the outside

- kick out/sprawl the defensive leg

It’s all about the angle dude, this is the best picture I found to show an example of how deep Malkoun was, he obviously stepped outside for the finish rather than transition to the double (which I would’ve preferred)

But inside arm needs to go cross face to post and the hips immediately need to go perpendicular to his body. That’s an easy sprawl with a possible back take/refs position to work from.

head-outside-single-leg-takedown-to-lift-finish-00046-1024x576.png

An easier less technical way if you’re a good athlete:

same principle, recover the inside arm under the head (underhook would be ideal but a solid grappler won’t give you that), and kick out while bringing his head up.

2.gif

Back