The biggest instances where the REFEREE changed the outcomes

JustOnce

On Hiatus
Double Yellow Card
Reaction score
So, judges fuck up all the time, but referees are not quite far behind. I'm sure refereeing is harder than judging since lots of time you have to decide right there and then, but what are the biggest instances that you remember the referees were literally the difference maker?

I guess the referee fuck ups are so many, and I never get Herb Dean love, but one thing that I will always remember to my deathbed is Herb Dean standing up CC and Gonzaga. Gonzaga was hellbowing the shit out CC's face literally bone to bone, but Herb Dean, for whatever reason, decided to stand them up. One of the most questionable stand up calls of all time. Then, CC was taking a lot of damage and his visions were compromised, so he got ktfo by the kick he couldn't see coming.

I mean, tonight's freak show between Askren and Paul will probably be decided by the referee, how much he allows Askren to lean and tire the guy out.

Watch Aldo's legs go stiff right after Big John lands that devastating knee

DrDyHI2.gif

Watch Aldo's legs go stiff right after Big John lands that devastating knee

DrDyHI2.gif
I mean Aldo was done and the fight was being stopped but I never paid attention to how the knee directly caused him to flatten out. Doesn't really apply to this thread so much but still.

As for the topic...
Off the top of my head I can't think of any examples (just finished a 12hr shift) but I think any time the ref is standing fighters up for "inactivity" when a fighter was advancing position or in dominant position. It happened a lot more in the early 2010's.

Will always remember Nelson getting stood up from side mount against Arlovski.

Yeah me too. I was going to mention that but just kept it as one example. I even looked up the fight to see if the Herd Derp Dean was the ref for that fight, but guess not.

Frank Mir vs Brock Lesnar 1
This. Also, Rumble Johnson vs Vitor has arguably the most sketchy stand ups I have ever seen.

Masvidal vs Ellenberger is another underrated one. The ref should have known that stopping the fight would have resulted in a TKO loss for Ellenberger when his foot was caught in the cage and he should have just got in between to allow Jake to get out just like they would if a fighter lost his mouthpiece. The only reason I remember this is because I had a prop bet on Masvidal to win via decision (which likely would have happened because he was not a finisher back then) but the ref made a giant mistake and screwed it up

He committed something like 13 fouls and no point deductions
Herb should have retired from reffing a long time ago. People mainly found out about him from the Sylvia Mir stoppage.

Back